Trinity Mirror Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2017

3.1

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trinity Mirror (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by talent acquisition 2 days later for a screening call. I was invited to a to face interview 2 days later for a meeting at very short notice. I was promised feedback for a possible next stage interview within the next 2 days but was never contacted. I later received a standard email from their website saying that I had not been selected for an interview as they received better cvs!!! Really poor recruitment process and poor practice.

Interview Questions

• Very generic competency-based questions and also very fluffy theoretical ones around Ulrich's partnering model. The interviewer was brand new to the company and had no idea on how media culture is - and had no experience in the industry so not sure how she ended up there.   Answer Question

Digital Journalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Trinity Mirror (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Initial interview with two senior members of staff, followed by a second interview a week or so later with two different senior members of staff. Informal setting, set in the open plan office at a desk and chairs set back from the journalist desks. Friendly format, impersonal and opportunity to ask questions about the company. Flexible in organising interview late in the day to work around existing job commitments.

Interview Questions

• The kind of stories / people that did well for the online site, and why readers came to the Mirror over other media outlets.   1 Answer
    • Experience of live-blogging   1 Answer
    • Why the Mirror   1 Answer

Human Resources Analyst & SQL Report Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trinity Mirror (Liverpool, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Two stage interview. First stage with Team Manager and technical liaison. Talked through requirements of role, competency based questions on my experience. Discussions on approach to role inc scope and growth. Some questions regarding technical ability. Second stage with Department Manager and Recruiter. Included practical skills tests x2 on excel at intermediate level. More discussions around the team and departments place within the business and the culture of the team and company as a whole to get a feel for fit.

Interview Questions

• Q: If at 5pm on Friday you received a request from stakeholder for report etc how would you deal with this.   1 Answer

Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trinity Mirror (London, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Three stage interview. First stage was a casual chat with the senior planner - talked through the role in more detail (what a week looks like in this position, how the team is growing and what they are looking for to support this, culture of the office etc.) and about my own experience and why it was a good fit for Trinity Mirror. For the second stage I was required to complete a task (with a 1 week deadline) - I was given a real commercial brief that Trinity Mirror had a few months ago, and had to create a 5 slide presentation showing my response and ideas. The final stage was going in to the London office to present this to 3 members of the team - the team director, senior planner and creative director. It was a really informal presentation where I got to talk through my process and creative ideas - didn't feel intimidating or as scary as you might think! I was offered the job there and then and was then taken to say quick introductions to the rest of the team.

Overall the interview experience was really thorough, friendly and efficient, which was really impressive for such a large company.

Interview Questions

• What advertising campaign have you seen recently that you really enjoyed? Why did you enjoy it? What do you think the audience insight/behaviour was that lead them to that creative decision?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Londo (Bolivia)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trinity Mirror (Londo (Bolivia)).

Interview

First stage went well and had been invited back for second round . Lots of communication in the run up too so felt that things were progressing nicely and had good contact with HR.

After second & final stage I was advised that I would be contacted end of that week to let me know if I had been successful .

It has now been 10 days and I have heard nothing from Trinity , I'll assume I haven't been successful but it would be nice to know . I have emailed HR for feedback but no response so far .

Very disappointing !!!

Telesales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trinity Mirror (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Interview was bit all over the place, but I think that's because they were trying find the right role for me. Christine Guirguis who my point of contact was fantastic, I have rarely come across someone so standout as her. She a genuine empathy for me and wanted to place me in the right role. If all the internal team are like that then I am really impressed with Trinity. I have 4 interviews in total 3 on the phone and the roles were switched a few times what they wanted me for, One face to face and was offered the role.

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Trinity Mirror.

Interview

Went through a telephone interview but they got an understanding what I did in my previous roles.
    Next up was something more difficult, It was the final interview stage but instead of getting interviewed by one or two people, there was a total of four people interviewing me. Slightly unfair advantage as I didnt get any breathing space or to take time to clear my thoughts about the questions they were about to asked me. It felt I was getting ganged up each time the interviewers were asking me questions. There was no flow from the interviewers, they kept interrupting each other and they constantly kept changing the subject of the QA questions. They are very strict on there standards but I honestly glad I didnt get the job based on how disorganized the whole ideal was for me.
    You have to really stand your ground (which I barely did) when asking their questions as they are very stern people. They might know what there doing but I felt I got an early taste of whats its like working for the company so I am kinda of glad I didnt get the job and it went to someone else whos in for a real treat.

Interview Questions

• What would you do that cant be done using Automation tools?   Answer Question

Test Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Trinity Mirror (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

A telephonic round which lasted for around 20 minutes and followed by face to face interview.In the face to face interview i was interviewed by test manager, automation tester, programmer and product owner.

Interview Questions

• 1. Questions regarding design patterns used in automation framework
      2. challenges faced in automation
      3. My experience in setting up a automation framework
      4. Why automation is required and what to be automated.
      Answer Question

Senior Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Trinity Mirror (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Was sat down and asked to explain how I look after and own the testing process, including how I would have to spell out certain things to business owners. I then had to demonstrate the method to automating a huge project. Finally, given a long Java questionnaire to check my aptitude for this, called in later to meet another business owner to see if I was a good fit. Not offered the job due to inexperience with Java (I'm a Ruby QA).

Interview Questions

• How I would learn Java to a senior standard in 2 months.   1 Answer

Test Manager (Contract) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trinity Mirror (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

30 min telephone chat with hiring manager covering CV and background

Asked to then prepare for a face to face with hiring manager and their architect having been being given a three page white paper describing the state of their dev-test process and to come with ideas on improvements.

Interview lasted 2.5 hours overrunning by 90 mins and was all over the place. Questions not always pertinent and it turned out that the white paper was six months old and written by a junior that was not part of the team.

Testing is being done by a third party in Eastern Europe over whom they have no control and seemingly relations have broken down completely to a toxic 'them and us' situation. Not what i would expect to hear at interview.

Strangest of all was that it would have been more pertinent to have interviewed at their competitor as I lost count of the number of times they said they wanted to be like them and "what should they do to make their dev-test process to be more like the guardian"

Quickly became obvious there was no actual job on offer and they were just pumping for information how to fix the mess.

Interview Questions

• What should we do to be more like our competitor as we want to be just like them   Answer Question