U.S. PIRG Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. PIRG Interview Questions

Interviews at U.S. PIRG

2.7

Field Manager Interview

Interview

Interview process was painless and quick... organization had me shadow an employee for a shift to learn what position was about. I gained great insight into the world of canvassing and leading others, it was a very valuable experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Web application. 30min phone conversation with 3rd party recruiter, where I was asked questions about my resume. Hour long Skype conversation with hiring manager, where I was asked a lot of hypotheticals, some generic interview questions, and then was asked how I would handle the position, which is low-paid, long hours, and very demanding. By the end of the interview I didn't even want the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial interview was a phone interview, standard questions about experience and goals. Second interview felt more like the interviewer was grilling me on my personal beliefs, including expressing clear skepticism at my stated reason for wanting to move from where I was currently living, which isn't even a question related to the position, rather than trying to figure out if my experience and knowledge could be used by the organization.

Interview Questions

• Is it more important to take immediate action to curb climate change or to make sure that any action taken is fair to everyone?   1 Answer

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

They just wanted to make sure I was interested in nonpartisan issues. They were enthusiastic about past recruitment experience. Location of fellows seems to weigh on interest in a campaign and the interviewer recommended that I focus on one campaign in particular.

Fellow Interview

Interview

Online application, phone interview, onsite interview

Interview Questions

• Mock campaign on a candidate's funding sources   1 Answer

Communications Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

I was interviewed by two people from U.S. PIRG. The first interview was really relaxed. It was a phone interview where they told me about the organization and the position. However, it was made clear at the interview that I would not be offered my desired compensation level. This was a bit disappointing to me. The second interview was a Skype interview. It was a little hostile. The interviewer asked me the same question multiple times. They kept asking why I wanted to work their and did not like my answer to the question. At one point, the interviewer rolled their eyes at me. Overall, I felt the experience was very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? (repeated multiple times)   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Would consider this an unstructured interview, where the interviewers were trying to get a sense of my expertise in building campaigns around a particular issue area. It was very conversational, not the traditional interview with a particular slate of questions. Many questions surrounding my background and how I got to where I am today.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience in building a particular campaign that you had built. Did you work with the opposition or work against the opposition?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Washington, DC) in April 2012.

Interview

First was a phone interview with a fellow from Chicago, lasted about, 30 minutes give or take. Then he scheduled an interview for the following week. Went to the 1 on 1 interview, lasted about 1 hour in which she asked questions related to issues and campaign tactics. Main policy issue covered was smoking (tobacco) and to design a campaign around that.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a campaign for a city council to ban smoking in public areas?   Answer Question
    • Who do you believe is at fault for not allowing these laws for a smoke free environment from passing?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • What is a challenge you have had to overcome in your life?   Answer Question
    • What is a policy that you are passionate about and why?   Answer Question

The pay was incredibly low for the hours asked to work. 50-80 hours a week for 22k? No thank you, unless you are excessively passionate about these policies, and/or have another well paying job.

Campus Organizer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

The interview process took place over the phone. They asked standard questions about why you were interested in the job and what you could bring to the table. It was a very relaxed phone interview and I thought that everything went smoothly. However after the interview I heard nothing back even though I had contacted my interviewee. While I was not too upset about not hearing back I thought it was extremely rude to not even update me on the status of my application.

Interview Questions

• What is something that you have been passionate about and stuck with?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Notre Dame, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Notre Dame, IN) in October 2013.

Interview

I received a mass email advertising an info session. I responded saying I would be unable to attend the info session but would like to learn more. I was invited to interview in what was also an info session. It was a bit strange, I thought, that they would ask to interview me without having heard anything other than my interest. I guess they had extra time on their hands.

Once I had agreed to interview, they asked me to apply for the job before the interview, and I complied. The job application asked some interesting questions like (paraphrasing here) "If you were suddenly given a large grant to change the world, what would you do?"

Interview Questions

• (something like) "What makes you think you would be a good enough people person to lead a movement?"   Answer Question