U.S. PIRG Interview Questions | Glassdoor

U.S. PIRG Interview Questions

Updated Dec 6, 2016

2.6

Transportation Advocate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG in October 2016.

Interview

I was first contact by PIRG via email. The email asked me to answer several questions and submit them. After submitting the questions I received a second email for a phone interview. After the phone interview was over, I was offered a third skype interview on the spot. The third interview was scheduled with a second person. The day of the second interview, the interviewer called me an hour after our scheduled skype interview. We rescheduled. After the rescheduled second interview, I was offered a third interview. But the second interviewer never contacted me regarding the interview even when I emailed him several times. Ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• (first interview) Describe your leadership experience.
      (first interview) Describe how you work in groups.
      (second interview) How would you reach out to Trump supporters?
      (second interview) Even if a campaign/policy you worked on for many years fails, would you still want to work in this field?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

I submitted an application to learn more about the position. Someone called me to schedule an interview shortly after. The guy asked me what I cared about in terms of social issues but was not happy with my response once I told him. His response was " we don't work around those issue. Pick something off the website". Why ask such a broad question if you want a specific answer? First of all, I'm passionate about almost all social justice issues. He continued to drill me about choosing an issue that's "most important" to me, demanding that I choose between different environmental or health issues. Any true community change agent knows that all issues should be treated with equal importance. He also became smug when I mentioned that I care deeply about the wellbeing of people of color. He then proceeded to gloss over the fact that this job would not be paying a living wage, and that we as organizers should sacrifice that and work long hours for the cause. I have done over 5 campaigns in four years and have ALWAYS been paid a living wage. He repeated this several times. Anyone who has to convince YOU to take a job is a scam.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the issues you care about?   1 Answer

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Web application. 30min phone conversation with 3rd party recruiter, where I was asked questions about my resume. Hour long Skype conversation with hiring manager, where I was asked a lot of hypotheticals, some generic interview questions, and then was asked how I would handle the position, which is low-paid, long hours, and very demanding. By the end of the interview I didn't even want the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

I went through two interviews after meeting with a recruiter at a job fair. One was in person with that recruiter, while another was a Skype call with someone who works more directly in that position. I was told I would hear back with a yes, no, or a 3rd interview request, but then only got a referral to their Campus Action. They pay very little, especially for living in DC, but seem to be willing to train you a lot and give you good experience.

Interview Questions

• Q: What issues are you most passionate about?
      Q: What new sources do you read?
      Answer Question

Digital Campaigner Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

Initial phone interview with a recruiter (had gotten my resume through a university career fair), was offered a second round interview about a week later but it took two months for anyone to answer my emails about scheduling the interview. Finally had the second round interview, and was supposed to complete a writing exercise but the information was never sent to me and no one answered my emails about further details.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Ithaca, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

I originally found out about the position through an on campus recruiter, and had an initial conversation with him the next day. They offered me a second round interview which was a pretty straightforward skype interview. I didn't get the job as a fellowship but the referred me to a different program in the Public Interest network, and I did get an offer there.

Interview Questions

• What experience have you had working on a community campaign?   Answer Question

U S PIRG Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG in February 2016.

Interview

The first interview was on the phone with a very nice, young employee who had started off as a fellow. She was easy to talk to and it was an enjoyable interview process. She started off explaining what the US PIRG does and what the fellow position is responsible for and then began asking a series of questions to get to know me.

Interview Questions

I wanted the job but the pay is completely ridiculous.

U S PIRG Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG in October 2015.

Interview

Very casual phone interview, followed by a more rigorous second round. Still more of a "who are you" than anything close to "what can you do" interview. The interviewer spent a lot of time selling me on the company and trying to gloss over the low salary or rigor of the work itself.

Interview Questions

• What are you passionate about? What are some issues that you've been following?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Would consider this an unstructured interview, where the interviewers were trying to get a sense of my expertise in building campaigns around a particular issue area. It was very conversational, not the traditional interview with a particular slate of questions. Many questions surrounding my background and how I got to where I am today.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience in building a particular campaign that you had built. Did you work with the opposition or work against the opposition?   Answer Question

Campus Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Boston, MA).

Interview

Easy phone interview and then a follow up interview in Boston (which I did not attend) because it was a full day and they did not provide anything. Very little communication between the organization and you