UNHCR Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 9, 2017

3.2

Protection Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UNHCR (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online. They contacted me in a month time via email for an interview. The interview was through Skype. It took 45 minutes, they were 3 people from different backgrounds, very polite and serious.

Interview Questions

• They were interested to know about my background and protection expertise. Refugee Law and principles (non-refoulement), CBA, SGBV, AGD approach   Answer Question

RSD OFFICER Interview

Anonymous Employee in Africa, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UNHCR (Africa, IN) in November 2016.

Interview

i applied online sometime for the above position, and few months after submission of my application i got a reply informing of the online test i was to have i sat the online test and after that few months after i was informed i was to have a skype interview and needed to prepare , i did as instructed and sat the skype interview which was a nice experience and i think i gave it my best shot because i had prepared for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the Ethiopian refugees?   1 Answer

Protection Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at UNHCR (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

interview and was last week ,I was searching samples luckily I found question on Glassdoor and standbyroster.org ,That helps me lot ,70% questions was matched.I revived call for written test and interview within 20 days after application submission.

Interview Questions

• How you deal Child who is without Family ?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Interview

I emailed my resume to the HR department and received a reply scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was extremely casual, mostly like a conversation. Questions were extremely basic as well, nothing unexpected.

Grants Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at UNHCR (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

Extensive, excruciating, successful.

Negotiation

N/A

Senior Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baghdad (Iraq)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UNHCR (Baghdad (Iraq)).

Interview

It's a competency based interview and you need to answer exactly how the question was phrased. 4-5 questions including motivation and question from interviewee. There is about 3 panelists and HR person. Length was about 40 minutes. They will ask you to elaborate if you're not exactly answering the questions.

Interview Questions

• -Describe a time when you had to explain something complex or new to someone. How did you proceed and what was the result?
      -Can you tell me from your experience when you organized a large event. What was your role and what did you do, and the impact?
      -Why do you think you are a good fit?
      -What are your key skills and experience relevant for this position?   Answer Question

Field Assistant Interview

Interview

I interviewed for CBI programmes. The written exam questions involved programming, protection and technical aspects of CBI. The interview was more relaxed and looked more into how I express myself.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are a good fit?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UNHCR.

Interview

Very standard, combination of competency-based and technical questions. Not easy and not too difficult either. General questions on background, why interested in the position, why the best candidate, what would be challenging, what I would do in the first month, positive-negative traits, etc. Other questions focused on the specific tasks in the position and how I would approach them.

Interview Questions

• What are your key skills and experience relevant for this position?   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at UNHCR (Johannesburg (South Africa)).

Interview

This was for a consultancy in South Africa. I heard about it through a contact and submitted by CV and cover letter via email. Maybe after a month of so I heard back and was asked to attend a telephone interview. The interview surprised me a bit because the questions seemed more like a quiz than an interview - no real probing into my experience and how my experiences and skills could be relevant for this post. Some of the 'quiz' questions were just pointless considering the answers are in the description of the position in the ToR which any candidate could simply read off if they happened to have the ToR in front of them. The HR person, who to be frank didn't come off as being particularly good, informed me that I would be notified of a decision within two weeks or so. I never heard back from him or the organisation. This kind of behaviour seems to be increasingly common with UN agencies - it is totally insulting and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• UNHCR was founded under what international convention?i   Answer Question

Public Information Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at UNHCR.

Interview

Basic interview questions about qualifications, future career plans, skills then specific questions about issues pertaining refugees. Interview was in English and in the country's language. It was also followed by a test regarding the skills in social media.