US Agency for International Development Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Agency for International Development Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2017

3.1

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Agency for International Development.

Interview

I submitted an application online through a USAID contractor, and was told about 3 weeks later that I would have a Skype interview. This interview was conducted by a panel of 4 people, three at USAID and one from the contractor. I would say that the questions were fairly normal. Thoroughly researching the program that I was applying for was a good call since they were clearly pleased with my prior knowledge. A few hours after the interview I was informed that I was a finalist for the position, and about 2 weeks later I had an additional phone interview with the head of the department. About a week after the second interview I was given an offer. From submitting my application to receiving an offer the process took about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years, and how will this position help you get there?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Agency for International Development.

Interview

There was no actual interview, but after submitting my CV, cover letter, biodata form, it took six months to hear back that I'd been selected for one of the positions, with yet more documents to sign. It meant I was now an approved consultant and in a pool of consultants USAID can contract with directly.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Agency for International Development (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

Submit resume and cover letter. Then there was a 30 minute phone interview. I was told I got the internship 3 weeks later. Very easy and basic questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you go advancing development in a low-income country.   1 Answer

International Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at US Agency for International Development (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process was very long; with frequent periods of radio silence, followed by a need for very quick decision making. This can feel frustrating at times but is just a symptom of the Agency's onboarding process.

Interview Questions

• Please share an example of a failure you've experienced at work   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Agency for International Development (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

This interview was for a personal services contractor position (PSC) with the Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) at USAID. I applied online in July, and was contacted for an interview six weeks later via e-mail. I live out of the area, so it was conducted via phone with a panel of three people. The interview in general was very awkward. They asked several repeat questions, or questions rephrased which were essentially asking the same thing, which was frustrating. At the end of the interview, I had an opportunity to ask questions. I asked how success is defined in the role, and how the individual who fulfills this role could be most effective. They were unable to answer this question, even after I repeated it and reworded it so they could better understand what I was asking. They still couldn't answer it, and told me I had "stumped" them. I was highly surprised. I got an e-mail two months later with a generic notice of non-selection.

Interview Questions

• Questions I was asked during the phone interview:

-Describe a time when you managed competing or multiple priorities and schedules?
      -Describe how your unique experiences and qualities would add value to OFDA?
      -How have you handled sensitive information in the past?
      -From the job description, what do you think you’d like most and least about the job?
      -Why do you want this job?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Agency for International Development (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a relatively casual 30-40 min skype interview with two hiring managers in business casual attire. It was mostly general questions and conversating with a few situational office etiquette and task prioritization questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you get an unresponsive staff member to complete an urgent task?   Answer Question

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Agency for International Development (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

It was three part interview. First part is a written exercise, problem solving memo. Second one is a group exercise (between three and six applicants work together) building a consensus over a certain given situation. Third part is an interview with a group of examiners. The day is well organized. You don't hear about results for quite a while.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this job? How do your skills and experience fit the position?   Answer Question

Program & Project Office Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Agency for International Development (Denver, CO) in March 2016.

Interview

Interview was remote because the position was abroad. I was asked a few challenging questions but overall it was more an informational session about what the position was.

Interview Questions

• What are you hoping to get out of this fellowship position?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US Agency for International Development.

Interview

I was invited to take a written test, which was followed by an oral interview. Received feedback in less than two weeks. You can negotiate your salary to some limited extent but it depends mostly on your earnings history.

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Agency for International Development.

Interview

Applied via their contractor's website. It was a much more straight forward approach than I was expecting. It was a simple 45 minute phone conversation, they interviewed 12 people in total, and asked for the references of two individuals.

Interview Questions

• What do you see as the major barriers in HIV prevention globally?   Answer Question