US Agricultural Research Service Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 12, 2017

2.5

Help Desk Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

It was me and one other person. There was a keyboard and a mouse that was connected to the projector on the wall. It was set up like a mock help setting except your supervisor is watching your evert move on a projector that is on the wall.

Interview Questions

• How do you get to Task Manager?   1 Answer

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

Applied via USAJOBS.gov and received an email about 3-4 months later inquiring if I was still interested in position. The interview was done over the phone and took about 15-20 minutes. Questions focused on research experience and knowledge of instrumentation. They followed up about 2-3 weeks later with an offer. The offer was only available pending fingerprinting and background check. The job did not pay for relocation costs.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with ion chromatography?
      Do you feel comfortable performing maintenance on instrumentation?
      Would you be willing to travel for field studies, sometimes out of state?
      1 Answer

Negotiation

I inquired about negotiating for a higher salary but as a first time hire in the federal government I was told I had to start at 07, step 1.

Agriculture Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service in February 2016.

Interview

I had two interviews for Agriculture engineer with in the ARS at two separate location. One was a skype interview with a panel of 5 current employees at the station. The other interview consisted of a 6 person phone panel interview followed up with an in person interview at the station. Federal interviews all have the same formats with regards to questions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service.

Interview

Nothing too special or difficult. I went in to meet with the members of the laboratory I would be working with. Everyone was very welcoming and explained the general role I would have. Asked about my experience and educational background.

Program Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service in August 2015.

Interview

You call in to a telephone number and you are connected to 3 other people. The interview lasted 30 minutes and they asked a total of 5 questions. However, as we got more comfortable with each other one question led into another question.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time of how you handled a conflict?
      How do you deal with people of higher status
      Answer Question

Biological Science Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Forks, ND

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service (Grand Forks, ND) in December 2014.

Interview

It was a phone interview, in which I spoke directly to my eventual supervisors. It was cordial and informative. The USDA cannot provide on-sight interviews and thus it is usually only by phone. The interview involved both the scientist I would work directly with as well as our unit research leader. The interview does not often provide a full understanding of the personality of the person you end up working for.

Interview Questions

• Strengths as a technician.   1 Answer

Post Doc, Biofuels Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wyndmoor, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service (Wyndmoor, PA).

Interview

Initial phone interview with common behavioral questions. Fast follow up for an on-site interview and eventually an offer. The on-site was shorter than what you would expect for a bigger company. Typically for a larger company, the interview process is 2 days, but this position required a 1 day interview that ended at 3 PM. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Was asked technical questions on their reactor setup.   1 Answer

I was looking for permanent placement, but this particular position didn't lead to something permament.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service (Davis, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

A five person panel was presented with one person missing. There were no name tags or placeholder to help keep everyone's name in order; the missing person turned out to be the hiring manager. They came an hour late so my interview was extended an additional half hour to compensate. This was definitely a red flag of things to come.

Interview Questions

• Did you have experience bringing an office back up to speed?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Interesting. I applied for a lower grade, yet received high marks in the interview and then received an offer for a higher grade on the spot.

Enumerator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service (Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

Seems the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. We in the field have told the staff what is needed but the message seems to never get up the chain of command. Next time we have a survey we have to ask the same question when the answer were reported in previous surveys.

Interview Questions

• Why do you ask the same question.   1 Answer

Senior QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raytown, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Agricultural Research Service (Raytown, MO) in December 2013.

Interview

Just one interview with the PM, QA manager, QA Lead of the project . Most of the time scenario based questions. Team will make you feel comfortable and no pressure. There were not very many technical question. There were lot of behavior questions.

Interview Questions

• IF you find a bug and your developer is not agree how will you prove yourself that your bug is a valid bug.   Answer Question