US Naval Research Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at US Naval Research Laboratory

2.2

Computer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

Just asked a few questions about some projects I had listed on my resume. Mainly spent time explaining the benefits of working there (they would pay for my masters degree). Very straightforward

Interview Questions

• Explain some more about this project you have listed on your resume? How did you implement it? How exactly does it work?   Answer Question

Computer Science Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC) in December 2009.

Interview

I received a call about a week after applying. I spoke on the phone with my future employer about my resume, and the interview consisted of no other questions or skills tests. I was summarily offered a position for the winters and summers that I accepted.

Computer Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Naval Research Laboratory.

Interview

Interview is very easy if you are really qualified. If you are not...don't bother.

Interview Questions

• Describe uncertainty in a mathematical/scientific way.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They told me what the job paid and I said Ok.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC).

Interview

After sending my resume to the division's email twice, I heard back from the superintendent about a potential opportunity. They flew me out there for a visit/interview, which mainly consisted of me giving a presentation, and meetings with the different groups and a tour of the facility the rest of the day.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my presentation related to my research.   Answer Question

Research Physicist Interview

Interview

I worked here as a National Research Council post-doc first. NRL does most of its hiring from the post-doc pool. At the end of my postdoc, they asked me if I wanted a job. I said yes. It took about 6 months to fill out the paper work, which included them filing a "fake" posting on USAjobs and me "applying" for the position.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Everything is set by Congress.

Research Physicist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC) in March 2011.

Interview

The process involved preparing a set of slides on the research that I was conducting as a part of my dissertation. About 30 or so people cam to my seminar and asked questions. I then spoke individually to other scientists, branch head and division head.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were technical in nature and related to my seminar.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Electronics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC) in November 2010.

Interview

Recruited straight from undergrad, did not do a co-op as many others had. I was told initially that they wanted me and had a spot, but soon after they lost funding for it. I worked elsewhere for a year, got tired of it, and asked the recruiter (also my future boss) if they had funding for me. After a few weeks and a preliminary background check, I was asked to come in for an interview.

Interview Questions

• None really, but there were 8-10 people in the room all asking about my research experience as an undergrad and what I could bring to their projects. So no particularly hard questions, just a somewhat intimidating experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, they offer a standard starting salary by major, degree, and department

NRC Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC) in August 2011.

Interview

Contacted potential advisers, who were very helpful in writing a proposal to the NRC. When NRC scores were posted, I was invited for a visit where I gave a talk and met with several staff members who were interested in my work and other post docs/former post docs who can tell me about the program and my advisers. Returned home and waited a month or two before the hiring decision was made.

Negotiation

No negotiation

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Naval Research Laboratory.

Interview

Interview with a presentation component, very straight forward meeting with a presentation following regarding past work and other experiences relevant to the position. Other members from similar divisions joined to ask questions pertaining to the area of application.

Mechanical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Naval Research Laboratory (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

Very brief interview for my position. I had to send in a cover letter and resume to the hiring manager and had a quick 25 minute phone conversation about my experience and how I am a good fit.

Interview Questions

• What relevant experience do you have to this job?   1 Answer