University of Leeds Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Leeds Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2017

Education Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview began with a three part test. It was described in the email as a computer and data accuracy test, but it wasn't quite like this on the day. There were three questions, each requiring a written answer of ~100 - 150 words. The first was 'How would you describe the colour yellow to a blind person'; the second was to draft an email response and the third was a scenario in which I was asked to come up with an action plan as to how I would deal with 300 emails before a deadline. This seemed a little over the top for a standard admin position.

I then had a panel interview with three members of the admissions team. The panel took turns asking me around 3 - 5 questions each and then invited me to ask any questions I had. Overall it felt quite clinical and the interviewers seemed in a rush to get through their questions and so there was no real opportunity to have a proper conversation or to go into any real depth.

The response was quick and I was informed that I would not be offered the position. This was fair enough except for the fact that the main reason they gave for declining me was "a lack of experience." This was something they should have vetted out during the initial application form (which required me to give my full employment history as well as 10+ written supporting statements.) As a result, even bothering to interview me in the first place was probably a waste of everybody's time.

All this said, I have worked for the University before and it was great, from the interview process to my completion of the role. It just seemed that on this occasion the process could've been much better and accurate during the assessment stage of the written applications.

Interview Questions

• 1. What do you think are the main objectives of the admissions department?   1 Answer
    • 2. What did you think of the computer test?   1 Answer

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

20 minutes interview about motivations for me to join the project with the LUBS employability officer and the Centre of Decision Research Director. Both very friendly and put me in a comfortable position to speak. Stress of the interview in such situation disappeared just after the first introductory question.

Results of the interview after one week.

Interview Questions

• What did motivate you to join this project?

Why do you think you are fit for the role?
      Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Leeds in January 2016.

Interview

The interview system itself at Leeds needs serious rethinking. You are left in the dark when they are asking these open ended questions. You don't know what points are they testing and on what basis you are being marked. It's just a play and if you did not get the offer, it's not because you did not do well in the interview! It's because they already decided from your application form that you might not possess all the experience they want and they are just Confirming their assumptions by an interview. It doesn't matter if that means they are wasting your time on an interview both of you knows how it will end. Their feedback also is useless, they just tell you what you already know! They will tell you that you don't have experience in an area they wanted or that they don't want to give you training in that area and just decide to hire the applicant that has all the experience they want without any training!! Why invite us for an interview if you already have an applicant like that? Is all this system of hoax interviews necessary? Why aren't all the panels questions put in the application pack so we can all be in the light and decide before hand if we fit what they're looking for or not? No one knows!! It's all a play!

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to this post?   1 Answer

Postgraduate Research Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Interview

Notified of interview via email.
    Face to face interview with 4 interviewers lasting 50minutes to an hour
    Notified of outcome within 24hours
    Opportunity to ask your own questions
    A typical standard administration / support interview where their interest is in the team work and institutional ethos

Interview Questions

• Various problem student scenarios, how much knowledge with regards to higher education and the overall learning environment   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Followed from an informal interview over the telephone. I got a five person panel interview. There is a skill assessment on my technical competence and project management knowledge. For the interview I managed to agree a date which was not the main interview date originally offered owing to my family commitment. It showed the employer's care about staff.

Interview Questions

• You were in a meeting attended by senior colleagues to review your proposed IT project. 3 managers raised questions on your proposal document because it reads too technical. What would you response.   1 Answer

Summer Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

face to face, interviewed by supervisor. last 10 minutes. informal one. just like chatting. can say anything. face to face face to face. did not prepare too much. just be yourself. only several students apply for it

Student Education Administrative Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Leeds.

Interview

Average, relatively painless process, very friendly panel & staff. One week after the closing date I received an email to say I had been selected for interview then a few days after that I was sent the interview time/date etc also via email. The interview was about 10 days later. I didn't get the job - they called to tell me the same day. The feedback was odd because the 1 criticism I received was that 1 answer lacked detail- which made me wonder why no follow up questions were asked for that particular question when they had at other times. For what it's worth I felt it was answered as fully as it could've been so I asked for clarity which couldn't be provided.

Overall it was much better than I'd been expecting and the friendliness of those I met prior to the interview put me at ease.

Interview Questions

• Nothing about customer service which is a suprise as that is the massive part of the role. No question about why I wanted to work there.
      I'm told by an insider (elsewhere in the university) this meant they had somone in mind for the job already- judging by the feedback I was given I suspect this was the case.

The questions followed the job spec so have examples ready for each point.
      Answer Question

Customer Service Officer, Natwest Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wakefield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Wakefield, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

The application itself was fairly straightforward, a lot simpler than many other banks with similar positions. Uploaded CV, filled a few basic questions in a form and filled out a situational style test.

Got an e mail next morning about being shortlisted for telephone interview and was asked to call a number. Prepared myself as best i could by thoroughly familiarising myself with the role requirements and having a few customer service example answers ready.

Made the call, was on hold for 10 minutes and got through. Interview itself was straightforward. They asked about my availability, went through past work experience and agreed on salary. After this i was asked two questions relating to my customer service experience. Ufortunately both these questions were sales based and i only had very little sales experience. I had more experience in hospitality and management. Anyway first answer went very well. Second one i bombed!

Didnt get shortlisted for face to face interview but can definitely say that compared to a lot of other similar roles, the process was very painless and pay actually very good.

Few more sales related examples and id have made it!

Oh well :) good luck to all!

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

Interviewed by the two managers that I would have most contact with. Recommended to take 30 minutes; I think it took about 25. Questions were fairly specific (nothing like "Tell us about yourself")- all dealt with aspects of the job description, how I fulfilled them and asked for specific examples.

Interview Questions

• Have you dealt with a difficult co-worker? If so, how did you deal with them, and what was the result?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No, I was not able to negotiate due to how the post was funded.

Global Community Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview was very smooth. i was asked to do a presentation on an intercultural event idea, followed by competency and technical questions. there were three interviewers who were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• A time when things did not go according to plan   1 Answer