University of Leeds Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Leeds Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2017

2.9

Education Officer- Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Leeds in August 2017.

Interview

Firstly all staff members in the school I attended were cold and unfriendly apart from the lovely lady at the helpdesk/reception. I smiled at everyone only to be met with confused stares which immediately made me uncomfortable.

Next came the 4 part test which was a timetabling exercise. I was suprised to find this as neither the job description nor candidate brief mentioned timetabling as part of the job. If it had been I would not have applied!

I found out on a Tuesday that I had an interview on the Friday which meant I had very little time to prepare so I was nervous and performed poorly, however by this point I had lost interest in the role. The panel was made up of three people who were very straight faced and serious, they seemed to be going through the motions and were uninterested at being welcoming and putting me at ease. What I found truly bizarre is the questions would have about 4 or 5 parts to them. It seemed a bit over the top for what the job is. When I was informed that I had not got the role no feedback was provided and there was no opportunity to ask as the call was very rushed. To be honest the place had bad vibes and I really think I dodged a bullet.

When applying for jobs the questions on the form can sometimes be repetative, like two different questions regarding teamwork, 3 questions about admin experience etc. It's very odd. Furthermore the questions for grade 4 and grade 5 jobs are the same making it difficult to distinguish what the differences between the roles are.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with Academics refusing to do something? (RED FLAG!)
      What is professionalism to you and why is it important?   Answer Question

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Filled out online application. Heard about 2 weeks later that I had an interview in 3 weeks. Interview was with 4 people - 3 from the school of business research group and one from HR. Lasted 30 mins. I had some strong transferrable skills and relevant experience but the attitude in the room seemed to be of indifference, as if they were going through the motions. I wonder if there was an internal candidate lined up. One of the interviewers kept yawning and looking around the room after asking her questions. I've never experienced that before in an interview -extremely off putting! Whole interview style seemed overly formal, humourless and outdated - four people lined up opposite the interviewee, asking rather poorly constructed questions. I saw both the interviewee before me leaving the interview room, and the interviewee after me waiting in the foyer. Inconsiderate scheduling.

I have previously had an interview for a position in the school of design, which was a far more enjoyable experience, mainly due to the encouraging and engaged attitude of the interviewers.

Lecturer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Leeds.

Interview

Submitted a 26 page application online, and was asked to provide copies of 4 publications which they clearly hadn't read before my interview. It took so long to be notified of interview I had already accepted another job in the interim. Contact for the job never available for discussion. They asked me to give a presentation at 11 am and then interviewed me at 4. Panel of 6 people at interview - humourless and unfriendly panel

Education Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview began with a three part test. It was described in the email as a computer and data accuracy test, but it wasn't quite like this on the day. There were three questions, each requiring a written answer of ~100 - 150 words. The first was 'How would you describe the colour yellow to a blind person'; the second was to draft an email response and the third was a scenario in which I was asked to come up with an action plan as to how I would deal with 300 emails before a deadline. This seemed a little over the top for a standard admin position.

I then had a panel interview with three members of the admissions team. The panel took turns asking me around 3 - 5 questions each and then invited me to ask any questions I had. Overall it felt quite clinical and the interviewers seemed in a rush to get through their questions and so there was no real opportunity to have a proper conversation or to go into any real depth.

The response was quick and I was informed that I would not be offered the position. This was fair enough except for the fact that the main reason they gave for declining me was "a lack of experience." This was something they should have vetted out during the initial application form (which required me to give my full employment history as well as 10+ written supporting statements.) As a result, even bothering to interview me in the first place was probably a waste of everybody's time.

All this said, I have worked for the University before and it was great, from the interview process to my completion of the role. It just seemed that on this occasion the process could've been much better and accurate during the assessment stage of the written applications.

Interview Questions

• 1. What do you think are the main objectives of the admissions department?   1 Answer
    • 2. What did you think of the computer test?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted a cover letter and CV in addition to filling in specific answers to approx 28 statements (this is the norm for all Uni Leeds applicants).

Had an interview with a panel of 3 academics (one was a business manager of the university). Included a presentation on my scientific interests (10 minutes). They then asked a series of questions relating to my past experience and what I knew about the project.

Interview Questions

• If you came across a technique you weren't experiences in, what would you do?   Answer Question

Student Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Straight-forward and transparent. CV upload online and then a group interview. You had to bring an object that meant something to you, to be able to describe it. Candidates took it in turn to stand up and explain their object to everyone.

Interview Questions

• Questions relating to knowledge of the campus - locations, primarily   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Leeds in May 2016.

Interview

Peer review exercise followed by a face to face interview with presentation. I felt that the questions in the interview were unusual in comparison to other PhD interviews I had experienced. They were very specific to the NHS which was unexpected based on the project description. Despite having traveled very far to interview, the panel members were cold from the outset and actually got me confused with a different candidate at first. Overall, not what I was expecting.

Interview Questions

• What might be one problem in carrying out research in the current NHS climate?   Answer Question

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

20 minutes interview about motivations for me to join the project with the LUBS employability officer and the Centre of Decision Research Director. Both very friendly and put me in a comfortable position to speak. Stress of the interview in such situation disappeared just after the first introductory question.

Results of the interview after one week.

Interview Questions

• What did motivate you to join this project?

Why do you think you are fit for the role?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

I was asked to present a topic related to the research subject for 10 mins. The interview panel was made up of 3 people. They asked me various questions about my background, why I choose this role, technical questions etc.

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Leeds in January 2016.

Interview

The interview system itself at Leeds needs serious rethinking. You are left in the dark when they are asking these open ended questions. You don't know what points are they testing and on what basis you are being marked. It's just a play and if you did not get the offer, it's not because you did not do well in the interview! It's because they already decided from your application form that you might not possess all the experience they want and they are just Confirming their assumptions by an interview. It doesn't matter if that means they are wasting your time on an interview both of you knows how it will end. Their feedback also is useless, they just tell you what you already know! They will tell you that you don't have experience in an area they wanted or that they don't want to give you training in that area and just decide to hire the applicant that has all the experience they want without any training!! Why invite us for an interview if you already have an applicant like that? Is all this system of hoax interviews necessary? Why aren't all the panels questions put in the application pack so we can all be in the light and decide before hand if we fit what they're looking for or not? No one knows!! It's all a play!

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to this post?   1 Answer