University of Sussex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Sussex Interview Questions

Updated Nov 23, 2017

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

The position was for 6 months only and the interview happened in the 1st month of those 6 months. The interview took place at the start of the second week of November. Questions were on my PhD project. Some behavioural questions too. I was told that the position requires immediate joining and shall be informed regarding their decision in two days. However, didn't hear from anyone. Wrote an email the HR, was told that my request has been passed to the recruiting manager of that School (@ 1-1/2 week since the interview). So much for the University of Sussex's transparent hiring policy, at least inform the candidate about some decision. Maybe you should read your own guidelines which are available on the University website. It's a major turn off that neither the interviewer nor the University HR thought to inform the interviewed candidate about what happened to their application.

Interview Questions

• How do you meet tight deadlines?, Why this role?, What do you bring to this role?   Answer Question

Graduate School Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Sussex.

Interview

Invited at 3.30pm to an interview at 9am the next day. 150 miles away. And they wanted me to prepare a 20-minute presentation. I didn't go. Their loss, I figured.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to prepare a presentation on my vision for the role.   Answer Question

Employment Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Filled in application which was emailed, I then received an email inviting me to an interview.
    Interview process - It was just over an hour which included a 40 minute interview with a panel of three followed by a proofreading/summarising test using Microsoft Word.

The interview involved giving examples of relevant experience as per the job description and person specification criteria.

The test was 30 minutes and involved proofreading printed job descriptions and marking mistakes. Also summarising a large job description and writing up in the same formatting as the printed descriptions using Microsoft Word.

All interviewers were very nice and gave me a tour or the working areas and a good inside as to what the job would involve.

Interview Questions

• What are your skill levels on the following:
      Microsoft Word
      Microsoft Outlook
      Internet
      Social Media
      Design software   Answer Question
    • What writing/summarising experience do you have?   Answer Question
    • Example of times where you have needed to proofread documents   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Sussex.

Interview

Began with a 20 minute presentation of my research. Then had 2 sub-interviews: 1 regarding the research, 1 regarding administrative issues. Each interview had 2 faculty members and lasted approximately 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How you will fit into the department?   1 Answer

Research Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

I was given a case study thirty minutes before the interview. I was then asked to present this and answer questions to the panel. The panel then asked me several
    competency based questions. They were very friendly and welcoming, but the process was quite difficult and draining. The test was fair

Head Business Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Mumbai (India)).

Interview

I was asked questions about my teamwork skills, interpersonal relations, management style & ability to work in a diverse environment. I anticipated other likely areas of questioning, and prepared honest and concise answers that highlight relevant aspects of my work history and life experience.

Interview Questions

• Scenario based questions... I was offered a scenario where I was to market a brand and do student recruitment.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England (UK)) in December 2013.

Interview

Typical UK style panel interview. One hour in total, 10 minutes for a presentation and ~35 minutes for answering questions, also ~15 minutes to ask questions. The whole interview is friendly and enjoyable, though I didn't get the offer. Questions are mainly about my previous research (~15 minutes) and my possible projects after getting the position (~20 minutes).

Interview Questions

• Some physics questions which is not directly related with my previous research.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied online for fully funded PHD. Invited for interview with 3 academic staff including supervisors. Was asked in advance to prepare a presentation on current research (during MSc). Was also asked to interpret some figures.

Interview Questions

• Was asked about motivation, education and experience. Also asked to interpret some graphs.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England (UK)) in March 2013.

Interview

I found the opportunity through my previous teacher. They met in a academic social event. Phone screen interview. Very nice people. Mainly asked me about why I choose this project. Why do I think I can finish the study and get the degree. What's the plan of my future.