VA Health Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 26, 2017

2.9

PACT RN Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VA Health (Charleston, SC).

Interview

Phone interview only, no in person. Human Resources is a mess. They took weeks to send an offer letter and once I received it only told me of 2 days of orientation. It ended up being a week and a half and I had to travel and stay in a hotel. I had to submit background check information 3 different times. Totally unorganized and inefficient.

Quality/Safety Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VA Health (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

Typical interview process. 1:1 screening phone call followed by an in-person interview. Basic interview questions. Relaxed atmosphere with low-stress. Very comfortable dialogue with department head. Next step would have been a panel interview, however, I elected to decline the job after the initial interview.
    One caveat to a position at the VA is that they cannot tell you what your salary will be prior to hire. You must accept a job, begin working, and then your role and experience will be presented before a panel to determine your salary. This was a no go for me.

Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VA Health (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Panel interview 3 people, standard tell us about yourself, then 5 behavioral interview questions. This is pretty much standard, I've had several interviews at this organization, structure has been fairly consistant

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a difficult situation   1 Answer

Staff Psychologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at VA Health (Bedford, MA).

Interview

VA uses performance-based interviews which means they ask every candidate the same canned questions--no questions based on your actual experience. Terrible for interviewee and interviewer. Group interview and you get minimal to no feedback from the interviewers. It is very hard to build rapport and have any sense of how the interview is going.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a difficult situation you faced with a client and how you dealt with it. What do you consider to be some of your strengths.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Minimal negotiation as it is a federal job. Additionally, they mislead me about compensation structures, but since I had nothing in writing, they refused to keep their word (should have recognized then that this was the way the management worked--promises verbally, nothing in actuality).

Psychology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VA Health (Dayton, OH) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process was a comfortable and enjoyable experience. Psychology staff were open to answering my questions and made me feel welcome. Interviewees were offered a tour and of the three individuals who chose to go on the the tour on my interview day, two of us were offered positions.

Interview Questions

• This is not something I am open to discussing. General questions about experience and how one would handle situations are helpful for this and other VA Psychology Intern positions.   1 Answer

Clinical Psychologist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VA Health.

Interview

I heard about the position through someone my spouse knew. I'm not sure I had to go through all of the steps that a person finding the job online goes through. Interview was a lot of hypothetical questions. Nothing too hard.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you disagreed with your supervisor.   Answer Question

Nurse Practitioner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VA Health (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

griup interview and it was for Home Care NP. The scenario is about a veteran who is at home alone and confused and the answer is that he has a UTI and its recommended he go to the ER given he needs a more e tensile work up

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VA Health (Tampa, FL) in August 2015.

Interview

Used Performance based interview technique and a panel of interview persons who asked predetermined set of questions. They left very little time to ask questions about the jobs. It was a new position and they did moth they did not have any history to share information about.

Interview Questions

• •Lead me through a decision-making process on a major project you’ve completed.   Answer Question
    • •Describe a situation in which you had to use your communication skills in presenting complex information. How did you determine whether your message was received? (With the original question you are assuming the person did understand.)   1 Answer
    • •Give an example of a time you had to make a difficult decision.   1 Answer
    • •Have you ever had many different tasks given to you at the same time? How did you manage these?   1 Answer
      .•Share with me an example of an important personal goal that you set, and explain how you accomplished it.
      1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at VA Health.

Interview

Was referred from a former employer. Met with supervisor once and was hired. The hiring process took almost two months due to background screening and administrative processes. Had to do fingerprinting, background screening, a physical test (VA doctor).

Interview Questions

• Questions were asked about research experience and skills in project management.   Answer Question

Staff RN Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VA Health (Long Beach, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Met with recruiter to determine opportunitie given time lapse since employed as RN by VA and work as RN, given long time lapse. She asked me about my qualifications. She explained that her mother was doing the same thing-reentering nursing after semi-retirement. She suggested that I might meet with human resources about utilizing my prior 4 years at the VA to add to vesting process. She was basically not involved in direct hiring process.