Viz Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Viz Media Interview Questions

2.8

Marketing Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Viz Media.

Interview

Was contacted by HR over the phone and set up an in person interview. Came in for the interview and met with one HR staff followed by a panel of 3 from the marketing team. First interview was just to gauge how your personality is. The panel interview asked questions you would expect from the position. Marketing experience, knowledge about the anime/manga products. Overall was a good interview and I enjoyed speaking with the team.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. They will ask about your resume so make sure you review it. Right off the top of my head... How do you deal with difficult people? What type of marketing experience do you have? Talk about some of their products...   Answer Question

Network & Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Viz Media (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

The recruiter I spoke with was very friendly and polite, she facilitated the entire process despite the fact that she was in Japan and the interview was to be in San Francisco.

This was not my first time interview with Viz. I had met with others several years before for the same position. Unfortunately, the attitudes of the staff didn't change. They were very elitist and seemed very intolerant even at times incredulous to the fact that someone applying to work for Viz was not an avid anime/manga fan. This same type of sentiment was expressed when discussing technologies and platforms being used by Viz. If you didn't use open source then you didn't belong there was the basic ideology I got from them.

Viz is a small company struggling in a niche market and wishes it could do better and grow more. With the failure of ADV Films a few years before, companies like Viz scrambled to pick up the slack in the market. They have always struggled and will continue to do so now that Amazon and Netflix are the major power houses in video streaming and are starting to cater to the anime market.

I would not be surprised if other groups within Viz media consider people who aren't the biggest anime and manga fans also think of them as outsiders and give a cold shoulder.

Interview Questions

• Have I ever used Cyrus IMAP mail server   1 Answer

Information Technology Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Viz Media (San Francisco, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

Internship posted on the web. Unpaid & summer only. There were 2 people at the panel interview. The selection process lasted 2 or 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• It was an hour interview. They mainly wanted to know about my background.   1 Answer

Marketing Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Viz Media.

Interview

Cordial and easy. HR was nice and followed up very quickly. Lots of interviewers though. It was like a giant panel interview. A bit intimidating initially, but overall everyone was nice.

Interview Questions

• What do trends do you see in the anime or manga market today?   1 Answer

Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Viz Media in June 2008.

Interview

Came in for interview with 2 higher-ups. Lasted about 45 mins, they gave me a tour. Got an email next day to set up a 2nd interview with 4 lower level people I'd actually be working with. Was called next day with an offer. Super easy interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about dealing with Japanese licensors?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Accepted offer letter over phone without negotiation.