WET Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 23, 2017

2.5

Senior Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sun Valley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at WET (Sun Valley, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Two in-person interviews, the first was a basic tour of the campus, and simple questions on your background, why you want to work there etc. The second interview was meeting with some more technical level engineers and involved technical questions, past projects you worked on etc.

The overall campus was very impressive but the office layout was a bit to 'inovative' for me. There were standing desks and no cubes which was cool, but the bathrooms were single occupant unisex which would have been extremely awkward.

During a break in the interview I went to use the bathroom, I opened the unlocked door and there was an asian guy sitting on the pot staring right at me, he lunged for the door as if it lock it even though I was already standing there it with it opened.

That pretty much turned me off from this company. That and in the interview I asked if they went through a period of time when they didn't send out paychecks because they were almost out of money, they said yes that happened.

I wouldn't want to work for a company like that. They don't seem to care about their employees.

They seem to want engineers that absolutely love their work and want to put in long hours and have no work-life balance with no job security or advancement opportunities.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here.   1 Answer

Security Guard Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at WET (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Very quick and easy. He is basically feeling you out to see how you interact with other employees. He will ask you some basic questions but he is really just trying to figure out if you will get aong with other employees.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sun Valley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WET (Sun Valley, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview included a facility tour with the recruiter followed by a group interview by the product engineer group and recruiter. I was asked to present a detailed description and walk through of a project. A question and answer session followed the project discussion.

Interview Questions

• Basic skills explanation, professional background explanation, strength & weakness description.   Answer Question

Senior Product Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WET (Burbank, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Overview

The entire interview process was quick, seamless and professional. It lasted about two weeks start to finish. I interviewed in March 2016. The facility is amazing, and the team members were enjoyable to talk to. Many were genuinely curious both prior technical projects as well as life outside of work. Overall, I had a very positive experience.

The Interview

I was initially screened by a member of WET’s talent acquisition team (Javier). He is technically savvy and communicated very well about the purpose of the company and what they were looking for as a potential employee. He was honest about the demands and time constraints their team members are under but also explained the many benefits of working there.

After mutual interest, we set up a telephone conference with the VP of Product of Engineering. Following was an-person interview where I met members of the mechanical engineering team, COO, and head of talent acquisition. They were all very enjoyable to talk to. The interview was informal asking about previous projects. Like any good company, they are searching for the right team member that is well rounded technically and personally.

After the group interview, I was taken around to visit the facility: full prototype and production machine shop, material / environmental test equipment, metrology equipment, optics lab, and a playground for testing. You will have the resources available to do innovative work that they require. As an engineer who has worked in both large and small companies, I have never seen a facility so tastefully decorated that was meant to be worked in. An extremely organized machine/wood shop, almost borderline OCD, but exude a certain energy and liveliness.

I declined for personal reasons to move to the SF Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you had to above and beyond to complete the work necessary?   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at WET (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Very innovative and beautiful office, they did all their water equipment in house. The entire interviewing process was smooth and straight forward followed with an company tour. Everyone seems happy working over there.

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WET (Burbank, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I had a very great phone interview with their new COO. She was very nice and answered a lot of the questions I had about the company. The next week's in person panel interview was slightly disorganized and everyone seemed preoccupied with other tasks. Perhaps they were really busy since it was a holiday weekend and were anticipating leaving early...so maybe the interview should have been rescheduled. Each person I talked with on the panel was very nice, very friendly and very intelligent but each seemed to perhaps have something else on their mind. If I had acted this way it would have been very insulting to the panel. During this panel interview it became clear that they were not sure what position I was interviewing for or should be interviewing for, though I was recruited for the principal mechanical engineer position that was advertised. I was recruited based on my resume, education and professional experience and it seemed that my skills were brought into question because of my diverse and creative background, which was exactly the reason they contacted me for an interview, it was quite strange. They suggested I interview for some other departments, which I had no aversion to, but this ended up to be more of a tour than an interview with other departments. I was provided with a lot of information about how their processes work and the numerous amount of machinery and testing equipment they have, which was very appealing, it's truly an engineers haven - provided you are in the right department. The thing that was reiterated was the 'creative' environment, and yes the environment and offices are arranged in a non-traditional more creative manner. But the creativity involved in your day to day practices would really depend on what department you are in. Creativity in engineering is a requirement to be a good engineer, but it was not apparent that wet offered any more creativity in it's engineering positions than other performance engineering based companies I have worked for, interacted with, or supported - you are still designing something to meet performance specifications, that's just engineering. However I was only there for a few hours, it may be entirely more creative than it appeared. I'm not sure what I was expecting but the repeated word of 'creative' was overused - I would explain it as a unique and different set of challenges in engineering and development of custom creative displays. They are very spectacular water based displays. They offer many varied classes to inspire creativity and strengthen your education and require that you take some time from the daily grind to participate. This is good. So many engineers get too focused and do not let their brain relax. The campus is awesome; it is an oasis compared to the surroundings. Unfortunately there's really not much to do nearby, which is why they have so many classes, a gym, yoga and other activities to do on the campus. It's been just over two weeks and I have not heard any response from Wet to be told about an offer or to be told about no longer being considered. Every other company I've interviewed with has always contacted me shortly after an in person interview to tell me they decided not to make me an offer or to explain the offer they will be sending - it's not a requirement but it's a professional courtesy.

Interview Questions

• Have you designed equipment which was water tight?
      What components of ours are you interested in?   1 Answer

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at WET (Burbank, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I was screened initially from a recruiter to verify my skill sets met the needs of the organization. About a week later, I had a face-to-face interview that lasted approximately 2 hours. During the face-to-face, I had the opportunity to see the (amazing) facilities and speak with multiple very talented people. We discussed the history of the organization and the vision for the future. It was highly informative. The people I interviewed with were pleasant. You can tell they take personal ownership in what they do and are focused on making the organization stronger. It is a fast paced organization.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my career?   Answer Question

R I O Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sun Valley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at WET (Sun Valley, CA).

Interview

Phone interview HR and hiring manager, then came in for a in person interview with Group selection committee, each of them asked questions pertaining to job, meet again with HR and had interview with owner

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WET.

Interview

I applied through indeed. HR called about two to three days later to have a general phone interview w/ him. Right at the end of the phone interview, I got invited in for first office interview. Process was really smooth. I got e-mail invitation from him & kind guidance for the interview. On the interview day, first thing, I noticed was smile from first team members & warm greeting from HR.
    I gave a presentation about myself to design manager and HR. And later one of the CEOs joined for work sample reviews. As a international, interview is not my favorite thing. So you can guess how uncomfortable I was at the interview. I think HR person noticed how much I was tense. After the interview, HR took me back to DG building where I parked, and gave me kind smile, and explained a general interview process at WET. On the following Monday, I got a call from him for the second interview request w/ Mark Fuller, the owner. Before the interview w/ him, design manager gave me a tour on the major facilities, and explain more detailed daily job info. The interview w/ Mark was short. It was not more than 20-30 minutes. I was more relaxed than my first interview since I was able to get adjusted to environment and people around me.
    Next day, HR called me, and he offered me a job on the phone. I could not hide excitement, and gave hime a verbal acceptance. He replied me back w/ a joyful congratulation.

Interview Questions

• The questions are not that different from interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. It was fast & simple.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at WET.

Interview

A few of the senior engineers and one of the senior managers attended a presentation I gave. The owner of the company also dropped in, and later gave me a tour of the company. Be sure to ask them tough questions about what it is like to work there: company culture, company business model and financial management, employee satisfaction, employee turnover, average tenure of employees in your department with a similar title, and things that you have read about the company in the reviews.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very straight forward. There was nothing unexpected or that wasn't about something on my resume or presentation that I gave.   Answer Question

Negotiation

If they want you and if the owner thinks that you are smart, they will definitely negotiate. Unfortunately they only have one knob to turn during the negotiations: salary.