Winrock International Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Winrock International Interview Questions

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Winrock International (Arlington, VA).

Interview

After an initial online application I received an email request for a Skype interview. The Skype interview seemed to go well and after another 2 weeks or so I received a request for a writing sample. The order seemed a bit odd since usually writing samples are last or close to last in the process, but I, of course, complied. Then I heard nothing for another 2 weeks until the day before a group interview I got a call to see if I could join an in person, all day interview to fill in for a candidate who dropped out. Not the most professional offer, and took me back that there was no alternative. As I have a current job I could not make this interview work and thus I was removed from consideration. Very frustrating, but a very eye opening experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you may implement one of our farm programs and what steps you would take (gave more detailed explanation of program).   Answer Question

Media Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Winrock International.

Interview

The interview took months, endless emails, and a lengthy 4 person interview. They never replied in less than 2 weeks and always led me on, but never fully committed to hiring me. I received an offer only to have it taken away at the last minute.

Research Associate In Ecosystem Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Winrock International (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

I had 4 Skype interviews from China and 1 onsite in Washington DC.
    I was in China for a 2months business trip and the first Skype interview was around early Jun, 2015. It was a department panel interview; there are the head of environment department, 2 program director and a HR manager. The interview went well, they liked me and thought I would be helpful. However, they also need a candidate who has work experience in Africa and I don't have it.

Interview Questions

• open real world questions, like:
      1. A Malaysian company is interested in expanding its supply of rubber from smallholders farmers in Malaysia. Right now, these small holder farmers are already growing another crop on their land (eg it is already deforested), but would potentially be open to growing rubber on their lands if given appropriate incentives. What methodological approach would you suggest to the company for them to spatially identify potential farmers who would be interested in switching crops. It should be assumed that rubber will likely grow in most areas.
      2 In an area of Laos, shifting cultivation takes place over time, thus, sometimes a given area looks like ‘forest’, sometimes it looks like ‘nonforest’. The crop-fallow lengths, although may be on average ~7 years, will vary from location to location. In addition, the total area where shifting cultivation is occurring is expanding slowly. How would you suggest the ‘shifting cultivation zone’ be delineated using remote sensing products? How would you update this overtime? What might be some of the political and social ramifications of conducting such an analysis?
      1 Answer

Program Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Winrock International.

Interview

Phone interview and then group and then weeks of waiting. Slow and awkward. Too many of the same questions at different points. Also, documentation requirements were old fashioned.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Easy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Winrock International (Arlington, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

Exactly 3 weeks after submitting my application for the Program Associate job for the Enterprise & Agriculture group, I was contacted by HR for an in-person interview. I was able to do a skype interview as I was traveling during the proposed time. The interviewer was the current program manager who asked typical questions, Tell me about yourself, Why do you want to work for Winrock, .

After the positive video interview, HR requested a writing sample, salary history and professional references. My references were contacted via email since they are based abroad one week after the interview. Then silence. 4 weeks passed with absolute silence from Winrock HR despite 2 follow up emails.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience do you have in monitoring and evaluation?   Answer Question

Program Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Winrock International.

Interview

Applied online. Two months later, I got the telephone interview notice by email. After first interview, I got the feedback in two days and had the second interview with in seven days. I wrote an email to confirm the process after two weeks of the second interview. However, there is no any more response, even one month passed.

Program Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Winrock International.

Interview

I was contacted by phone for an initial interview one month after applying online. In my initial phone screening, the Program Officer simply explained more about the position and answered my questions. They then asked me to complete a writing exercise and scheduled a second interview with the Program Officer and Senior Program Officer. This second interview was about an hour long and they were great about answering all of my questions. I heard back about 3.5 weeks later that I was not selected for the position. I had to email several times to get this information.

Interview Questions

• They asked standard questions about my relevant experience. They also asked to explain in detail how I manage my time.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

The interview and general introduction to the company process are very poorly organized. The company is split into several teams and you may not know what team or teams you are on before you are hired---you should ask.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None. They will not negotiate salary. They have a range and don't really care if your qualifications exceed their base pay.

Program Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Winrock International in April 2012.

Interview

It took a very long time to hear back and I actually had to follow up with an email to the person I guessed was the director of the program where I had applied. We had 2 Skype interviews and then a job offer. It required persistence and flexibility on my part... but was worth it!

Interview Questions

• I was asked to walk my interviewer through my resume, to share my strengths and weaknesses, and to have a brief 10 min conversation in French. There weren't any trick questions. It was open-ended for me to present my candidacy in the best way possible, which is something I wasn't necessarily expecting.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate but only with supporting documentation of previous salary history, and even then it seemed there were significant strings pulled to match (slightly beat) my competing job offer salary. I also agreed to start earlier than I ideally wanted.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Winrock International (Arlington, VA) in November 2010.

Interview

Applied online and contacted within 2 weeks. Set up an in person interview. Three members of the staff were present and it lasted about one hour. The questions were basic- mostly about my resume and a few situational questions (how I prioritize, what managment style I work well under, what I like about my day/least favorite part, etc).

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize tasks with competing importance?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received an offer 2 days after my interview on my voicemail. I know that is not standard practice for the organization though and it might have just been the HR rep. I had to ask for the benefits information to be provided. After review, I was able to negotiate a slightly higher salary. Overall, the benefits are EXCELLENT and the salaries are in line with similar organizations.