World Resources Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.8

Project Coordinator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at World Resources Institute (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

40 minute skype interview, casual and friendly. Asked mostly about past experience and how I would handle certain situations, what about the company interested me, then asked to complete an online assessment. Completed and didn't hear back after following up about a week later and about 3 weeks later received an email that I didn't get the job.

Mid-management Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at World Resources Institute.

Interview

The communication with the team (email) was good. The phone interview was quite unprofessional: the person was over 10 mn late and didn't apologize, had a very poor connection, in addition to dogs barking in the background (working from home?), and abruptly ended up the interview after 20 mn because they had another meeting.
    If you're not interested in interviewing candidates, then don't do it! Candidates are not responsible for your poor time management and interview skills. WRI should provide recruitment training to their managers, some really don't give a positive image of the organization.
    I have interviewed many candidates in previous jobs, and always ensured to at a minimum be respectful and listen to what they had to say if I invited them.

Research Role, Mid to Senior Level Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at World Resources Institute.

Interview

Terrible process. Had two interviews with my prospective supervisor - one on the phone and one in person with a panel. Both times the interviewer was 15 minutes late, which is not by itself terrible, but considering I work full-time and they offered no apology, I considered quite rude. Both times the interviewer spoke about 80% of the time and repeatedly interrupted me. I found the questions to be combative and quite frankly inappropriate for the level of the position and my level of experience. At the end of the interview, I told the person that I had not had an interview like this one for about 12-13 years (for an entry-level consulting position), that I was shocked by the combative nature of the questions, and that I was hoping that it would be a more collaborative tone. An hour after the interview, I wrote and informed them that I was no longer interested in the position. Later on I looked up the interviewer's teaching profile (they were formerly an academic) and found mostly negative reviews and low ratings at two universities.

WRI does good work, but they need to seriously reconsider their hiring process. Positions that require a PhD and 10+ years of experience do not need to take a writing exam (would have been the next step) and interviewers should be trained in appropriate techniques and questions.

Interview Questions

• What would an appropriate sample size be?   1 Answer

Trasport Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at World Resources Institute (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied the position on line for couple of days, and then received an email for the hiring manager. We scheduled a time and had a phone interview later on. There are two interviewers, who were quite kind. After the phone interview, they required sending them recommendation letters and writing samples.

Interview Questions

• What are the possible ways to slow down traffic speed? How is your experience on VISSIM   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at World Resources Institute.

Interview

This is actually for two interviews for different positions. In the first, I was asked an illegal question about my ancestry. In the second, I was asked a similar one, both times very casually, as one might do when meeting someone in social circumstances. The first process went on for months with various phone and Skype calls, and then an in-person with several people over an entire day. The second position involved only one call, and then an entire day in their office, including a presentation. Both times, the in-office process seemed chaotic with them running around to find conference rooms, etc., and I wasn't provided a schedule in either case.

If you look around their office and website, you will see a very homogeneous American work force with a sprinkling of foreigners, but either no or very few US minorities. Very strange for an institution based in DC that presumes to handle global problems, but with a staff with very limited perspectives.

Interview Questions

• Illegal questions re ancestry   1 Answer

GIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at World Resources Institute (Durham, NC).

Interview

I had 5 rounds of interviews with the GFW team that lasted over 3 months, and was completely shocked to know that I wasn't selected.

The first 2 rounds were the longer interview rounds wit the first being a phone screening followed by a panel. I was then asked to make a 30 min presentation related to geospatial analysis which was followed by another half our of interviewing with the extended GFW team. Lastly, I wrote the written test that had 3 GIS related questions.

The whole process took so long which needs to be rectified. Yes, every team is busy but I thought that is what sets WRI and GFW team apart.

Interview Questions

• Considering I had multiple rounds the range of questions included general forestry related general knowledge based questions, written and oral communication based questions and GIS.   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at World Resources Institute.

Interview

The initial phone interview was conducted with the Human Resources department. The second and final interview was conducted via phone with the entire team and last for maybe 40 to 50 minutes. During the interview, it was expected that I understand the team's mission and basic technical approach. The entire interview process lasted for 2 to 3 weeks. The human resources department spoke with me again (via phone) after the second interview was conducted to follow up.

Urban Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at World Resources Institute (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online. First interview was organised fairly quickly, and was by telephone. Interview process was very professional, relaxed and pleasant. The follow up has been very slow though. Although the timeline was given as two weeks after the interview, it has now been close to eight weeks, with no response, other than they are still undergoing the review process and will be in touch.

Sustainability Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at World Resources Institute (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Online application, followed by phone interview, followed by writing test.
    The phone interview lasted around 15 minutes and consisted of 4-5 questions on general behaviour and past work experiences. After approximately 10 days I was contacted and sent to the second stage. The writing test consisted of producing a report after conducting some data analysis. They sent me some data which I analysed and translated into a 1-page report. I had 48 hours to submit it.
    After some days I was contacted again and informed that I had been selected for the position.

Transportation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at World Resources Institute (San Diego, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The first phone interview took 70 minutes and was conducted by two people in the department. After that, I did a 4 hour writing/data analysis exam. I had at max 4 hours, but felt that even that wasn't enough.

Interview Questions

• They asked for me to develop a hypothesis and a process of evaluation for a new bus policy in a city such as Sao Paulo, Brazil.

They also asked why I chose my undergrad major and they asked about past research papers I have done in school and what my thesis/conclusions were.
      Answer Question