YourMechanic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

YourMechanic Interview Questions

Interviews at YourMechanic

2.2

Operations Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YourMechanic in June 2019.

Interview

Two different phone calls...one with a recruiter, she was nice, seemed ok. the second call was with ops manager (not sure). The third was a timed excel test (2 minutes per question, I believe)...several of the questions were open-ended.

Interview Questions

• Took the excel test, contained several open-ended questions, sent it back, never heard back...was blatantly unprofessional. Had a friend who worked here a year ago and hated it, so he left.   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at YourMechanic.

Interview

2 phone screenings with fairly straightforward questions. Came onsite for 2.5 hr round of interviews. 5 interviews, all basically asked the same questions on basic skills like working as part of a team and organization.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at YourMechanic (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

After talking with them at career fair. They sent me a take-home assignment.
    I did it carefully, considered all possible cases, carefully designed test cases, wrote detailed notes in my code, and even wrote a user manual where I explained my design and algorithm thoroughly. I'm confident because I put great efforts into this.
    But I got rejected after a week. Quite frustrating and feel that all my effort was in vain. Terrible experience.
    Anyway, small start-ups are all like this. You will get rejected even if you did very well and very carefully.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at YourMechanic (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Not tenuous but interesting technical question to gauge the quick thinking skills of an individual. There was not a set interviewing structure that I could see but I imagine this has been changed and there will be a standardized interview process.

Interview Questions

• How many ways can you make different groups of 2 in a total number of 6.   Answer Question

Content Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YourMechanic (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Very lengthy and quite overdone process. This is a great company that seems to want to disrupt the auto repair industry.

Interview #1: Started with a phone interview with the hiring manager, who was really positive and great.

Test: Next was a test to complete at home, which was pretty easy (but I guess this could vary based on your experience).

Interview #2: After that was an in-person interview with another person on the team and the Operations manager. They asked a lot of marketing, social media, and content related questions.

Yet another test: After that, I went in for an all day trial test (which was paid), got free lunch, but was given way too much work for one day (they were surprised I even finished it).

Interview 3: I had a Skype interview with the CEO, who didn't seem prepared (he hadn't looked at my profile until the interview started), and was just overall super negative, had way too much of an ego, and seemed to only care about having a 4.0 GPA, rather than the amount of relevant quality, experience.

I had nothing but positive experiences with everyone else I met, but he alone made me realize that I would never want to work at this company--not for him, at least. I got great feedback and everything seemed super positive with the team, but didn't get an offer, which was a bit of a relief. I'd say look at both the positive and negative Glassdoor reviews for what they are, and don't get caught up in the perks and excitement of moving to the next round because this WILL be quite the time investment.

Also, it's pretty cool that they get free lunch everyday, but everyone works through lunch as part of the expectation(which I did during the trial day). This should never be an expectation. Pay attention to little details and things that could be red flags in the long run.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about you managed a social campaign that was successful.   Answer Question
    • Your grades in college weren't very good(I had a 3.4), do you think if you didn't work an internship and then work full time at the office that your grades would've been better?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at YourMechanic (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

After solving take-home exam, arrived for on-site.

I left in tears, very upset. Thus sharing this experience to worn others. Think twice.

I was supposed to speak with 4 people, I left after the first 5 minutes of during the second interview.
    It started like this : do u have a car ? ( I don't, arrived by caltrain ). Are u a fan of cars ? Well, you know, many workers here are passionate about cars.

I cannot deliver the tone of this, but it was like : you are NOT welcomed, if you do not fit in our clan.

For a data scientist job, you better be passionate AND knowledgeable about something else than car parts. You can put all the bumper kissers there , does not mean they are good fit to do the job

Interview Questions

• well, you know, this is a car company, many people are passionate about cars   1 Answer

Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YourMechanic.

Interview

Applied online and received an email the next day, scheduling a phone interview.

After a bit of chit chat about our holidays, the interviewer asked me right out the gates, "What questions do you have for me?" I did have a list of questions, but felt this was a very disruptive and awkward way to begin an interview conversation.

As time went on, it was clear the interviewer was simply going line by line down my resume, asking specific questions like, "What was you GPA in college?" (I've been out for 3 years, I have no idea), "Do you like math?" (huh?) and "Have you ever experienced conflict?" (a yes/no question).

On top of this, there was tons of background noise that forced me to ask for clarification/repetition of the questions at least 40% of the time.

I left the interview having asked many questions, but still unsure on what the role entailed. It's been 2 weeks and I'm assuming they don't want a follow-up since I didn't receive any notice on the status. Which is fine because after that interview, I am no longer interested.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you really wanted something and how you worked to achieve that goal.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at YourMechanic (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

The first stage was a phone interview followed by a take-home coding problem to be solved whenever. If successful, you are invited to an on-site interview that last around 5 hours.

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at YourMechanic (Mountain View, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I had done contract work for the company, so had a sit down interview where I was asked about my 5 year life plan, and just an overview of my resume. Simple and straightforward.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at YourMechanic (Mountain View, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

The phone screen was ridiculous. I schedule a time with the interviewer and she started out the interview word-for-word with, "What do you want to know?". Who does that. Next, there was extreme background noise which I feel is highly disrespectful for any interview. Lastly, she started asking me math questions that had no direct correlation to the position. Atrocious...

Interview Questions

• You are given five objects. How many combinations of "2" can you make?   Answer Question