90octane Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Sam Eidson & Jim Grinney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best agency I've worked at, also the smallest"

Current Employee - Media Strategist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Media Strategist in Denver, CO

I have been working at 90octane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, open minded people, a multi-dimensional agency with a good balance of design, technology and media areas, unlimited PTO, good work/life balance, communal energy, eager to improve and hear the ideas from any level of expertise, transparent.

Cons

growing rapidly so there are natural growing pains associated: needing to build new processes to ramp up new employees seamlessly. Parking is not included and the office is downtown... I bike (at least for summer) but parking can be upwards of $3000/year if you can't take the lightrail/bus/another form of transportation.

Advice to Management

Continue asking questions as the agency grows! Things will need to change with the additional manpower.

2. "Account Manager"

I have been working at 90octane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative & open environment
    Incredibly smart team
    Fun team & an emphasis on enjoying our time at work together
    Team catered lunches on Tuesdays
    Rapport & trust with clients - as an Account person it's nice to feel like you can be honest about having your clients best interest at heart.
    Unlimited PTO (to use responsibly)

Cons

None at 90 that I can think of - I guess since I have to put something, parking downtown is always a bit of a headache.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in tools that help streamline process and avoid headache for the teams.

3. "Outstanding Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

I have been working at 90octane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, culture, and values at 90 are what drew me in and keep me here. 90octane hires the smartest marketers around so you are continually learning something new from your peers and they provide opportunities for you to learn. If you want to attend a conference in your area of expertise, they will help get you there. The culture is fun, collaborative, and not siloed. 90 has quarterly events that keep the whole office involved and having a good time. Each week the agency shares learnings, new potential work, etc. so you're always up to speed and the office feels like a secure and fun work environment. The values at 90 are what keep your work life balance and overall happiness in the workplace the best it can be. The founding partners, directors, and team members are always there for you and genuinely care about your career and overall well-being. They hire smart which is why it can take a bit of time to fulfill the need to hire.

Cons

I honestly don't have any to add.

4. "Amazing Standard of Work and Culture"

I have been working at 90octane full-time

Pros

Incredibly smart and innovative team.
    Flat leadership structure gives all areas and levels a voice inside the agency and with clients.
    Partners (Jim+Sam) want to engage and connect personally and professionally with 90'ers at all levels
    Unlimited PTO
    Quarterly Profit Sharing
    Environment encourages learning and growing on the job, even if that means growing onto other teams.
    Work solidifies 90 as thought leaders to our clients and in the industry.
    Office has great workspaces and the openness is a reflection of what's important to the agency
    Big-time clients with big upside

Cons

Open office layout can lead to distractions sometimes when energy is high

5. "90 - The Best Place I've Ever Worked"

I have been working at 90octane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people at all levels of the company! 90 is an enthusiastic, smart, collaborative work family and everyone is supportive of each other. Being on the account management side of work, it is obvious that the culture of the company lends itself to a positive work environment where everyone takes pride in what they do, wanting to put their best in front of our clients.
    Exciting clients and projects - no two are exactly alike, so there are always new challenges and new successes! Senior leadership is great about recognizing people who take initiative and create opportunities for growth. As the company continues to grow, the forecast is shared in a [confidential] transparent way that makes me proud to work with such a great group of people!

Cons

None really, I have worked at other agencies and have talked to many friends in agencies across the country. 90 has figured it out - a professional, fun, growing agency without any of the old-school office politics or stuffiness. Rather than having account managers who are punching bags or just responsible for "wish-fulfillment" client relationships are viewed as professional, strategic partnerships.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

6. "Truly Incredible To Be A Part Of"

I have been working at 90octane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing culture and spirit
    - Incredibly smart team
    - Everyone has each other's back
    - Everyone is working towards the greater good of the company
    - Positive, fun, and hardworking environment
    - Unlike any other company I have ever worked for
    - Flat organization (the Partners and Directors are just as involved in the work as the team)
    - Everyone is willing to roll-up their sleeves, work together and work hard - no matter the task
    - No egos or entitlement
    - Amazing opportunities for growth
    - The most transparent organization I've ever been a part of

Cons

I have zero cons to list.

7. "Smartest People I've Ever Worked With"

I have been working at 90octane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. Yes, the culture is great and everyone gets along well. But the biggest selling point of 90 is how smart everyone is. It is really refreshing to come into work every morning and be surrounded by people who not only care about what they are doing, but also genuinely enjoy it and are extremely good at it. You always feel inspired to grow and keep getting better. 90 definitely has some of the smartest people in the industry working here - and by far the smartest people I’ve ever worked with.

Cons

Chronically understaffed. There is a disconnect between employees and senior management about the need to hire more. It does not seem to be a top priority for management so employees are often told no when we say we need more hands on deck. It’s easy to feel overworked.

Advice to Management

Just keep your eyes and ears open. If people are frequently coming in early or staying late, that should be a clear sign they have too much on their plate.

8. "It's a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

The number one reason to work here is the people and the culture. About a year ago there was some major turnover at the company, and a year later, I can honestly say it was all good. We have an amazing new group of people here, willing to work together to create the best stuff. No big egos, no negativity, just a smart, challenging, fun group of people. We work hard and party harder, and I wouldn't want to work anywhere else right now.

The work we do right now is amazing. We're doing some really cool stuff with hyper-targeted marketing programs, stuff I don't think I'd work on at any other agency. Real "sky's-the-limit" type projects. Rarely do I get told to pull it back, we always play for the Grand Slam here. And if we strike out, at least we gave it our all. Back to the drawing board. It's a great environment for new and big ideas, with an upper management ready and willing to listen.

Cons

The only negative thing that comes to mind is the upper management can get pretty micro-manage-y. Sometimes it does lead to a bigger and better product, but often it just feels frustrating and like we're taking 6 steps back for every 1 forward. BUT...this doesn't happen on everything by any means, and like I said, some wrenches thrown by the partners have led to some amazing quality changes on big projects and needed to happen.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hire to do their jobs well, and don't give them feedback for the sake of putting your mark on something.

9. "Unlimited PTO, ability to work from home, an AMAZING company culture, and interesting/challenging clients"

Pros

Unlimited PTO, ability to work from home, an AMAZING company culture, and interesting/challenging clients. My previous job had a really awful company culture and it was such a shock to come to 90octane and see that most people actually liked each other and loved what they were doing. Thirsty Thursday (beer + whole company chat) is a great time to get to know coworkers better and just relax after a stressful week.

Cons

Long hours and the tendency to feel like you're drowning under work. We don't use a traditional bill-by-the-hour model with timesheets and such, so actually tracking how much work you're doing for each client can get tricky.

Since everyone here is so close, it felt like a little cliquey coming into the office for the first month or 2.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in employees. Promote people when they're deserving of it to the appropriate new title/pay grade.

10. "Amazing, Transparent Company"

Current Employee - Paid Search Strategist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Paid Search Strategist in Denver, CO

I have been working at 90octane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Profit sharing, no micro-managing, large amount of employee empowerment, competitive pay, great co-workers, 401k matching, unlimited PTO, quarterly outings

Cons

We are a growing company so there are a few business processes that are still undergoing improvements such as client reporting, etc. Otherwise, this is a very satisfying company to work for.

Advice to Management

Suggest that other employees leave some Glassdoor reviews! I know 90octane went through tough times where objectives and processes were changing and a lot of employees left the business, but things are way different now. I would like to see that reflected in Glassdoor. You're all doing a great job with check-ins, leadership, and transparency. I love my boss!