ACC Reviews | Glassdoor

ACC President & CEO Richard Rhodes
Richard Rhodes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is sometimes difficult to find a full-time job at ACC because everyone wants to work here (in 15 reviews)

• Low pay, employment is uncertain (in 7 reviews)

1. "ESL 2 Professor"

Current Employee - ESL II Professor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - ESL II Professor in Austin, TX

I have been working at ACC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Austin Community College provides a safe and innovative working environment which allows all staff, students, and professors with support and professional development opportunities each year. I am always impressed with the diverse cultural atmosphere at ACC, and absolutely love learning about other cultures form my students. ACC encourages growth and dedication of not only its staff, but the teachers as well. Working at ACC connects our diverse community and brings us all - teachers and students - together to embrace our ever-changing world and to make it better.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to find a full-time job at ACC because everyone wants to work here!

2. "OK for entry-level teaching"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Austin, TX

I worked at ACC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Adjunct classes for the Early College Start program are usually on interesting subjects. I got to teach the British Literature class to high-school seniors and had a really good experience with Beowulf and other classics.

There is a lot of freedom to develop the classes in the manner that you want, but don't go overboard because they do have some requirements, especially for the writing classes.

Scheduling is usually pretty flexible, and as long as you follow the minimal guidelines and teach the classes well enough to get good reviews, then usually you have a "high recommendation" status for new classes.

Cons

As an adjunct, you don't really interact with other professors or other teachers at the schools where you teach. You can feel really isolated. I ended up emailing my teaching mentor from the first semester, so at least you have a point of contact that can be useful for brainstorming and even sharing stories.

Obviously adjuncts lack all the benefits and pay of full-time professors (and even high school teachers, who essentially teach the same material as you do). Also, this is a program where high schoolers are skipping their AP/IB English classes to take "college-level" ACC courses, so public schools are basically saving money on full-time teachers by shoveling students into these adjunct-taught ones.

My main frustrations, overall, related to management. The students and classes themselves were fine. I do wish that the high schoolers were given more introduction to college-level courses. I had to make the curriculum and format of the class a lot more similar to high school because they still didn't understand some of the basics of turning in homework and studying for tests.

Advice to Management

-Better pay for adjuncts
    -Better integration of adjuncts in ACC institution AND high schools where they teach
    -Better support network of mentors, supervisors, and co-workers
    -Better preparation of high-school students for college-level classes
    -Better pathways for adjuncts to receive some form of "full-time" status after working in the ECS program for a while

3. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at ACC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Option to get tuition wavers on some courses.

Cons

Each department operates on their own, so your experience might vary dramatically depending on which team/department you join. The department I was in was resistant to innovation, change, or doing quality work. It was an extremely negative work environment.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone remembers they are part of a larger college and not operating with only their department in mind. Find people who are positive and open to doing what's right and best for the students not what's the least amount of work to do.

4. "ok"

Current Employee - Assistant in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant in Richardson, TX

I have been working at ACC part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great dynamic environment and strong leadership

Cons

better employee retention and less turnover

Advice to Management

more interaction with staff and workers

5. "I love it"

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Alumni Relations in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Alumni Relations in Austin, TX

I have been working at ACC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Excellent Human Resources benefits with lots of professional development training, mentorship, and opportunities.

-Emphasis on student success--so every department is open to ways incubate new ideas to support this model.

-Employees are encouraged to participate in shared leadership opportunities

-Great discounts for ride sharing, metro passes, and well priced parking options

-Invested interest in Equity and Inclusion

Cons

-The school is in a huge growth phase and is working to break the communication silos that can emerge with 12 campuses and over 150 majors.

-While the administration is good about empowering individuals to try new ideas and programs--getting the funding is not always easy.

-As with any large academic or government institution---red tape and bureaucracy prevails

Advice to Management

I love working at ACC!

6. "Senior Executive Director"

I have been working at ACC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Help disadvantaged. Public speaker/advocate. Grant seeker

Cons

Management (waffle on issues), lack of independence, fellow employee work ethic (lack of), Grant expectations

Advice to Management

Weed out hard working, ethical and loyal employees from those just present to collect a paycheck or boast of themselves. Give creative employees space to work and shine. Stop micro-managing and yelling.

"Student Services Assistant"

Current Employee - Student Services Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Student Services Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at ACC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of vacation and sick days, generous benefits package, free classes (3 max per year), fun environment

Cons

pay is not competitive and salary scales are confusing, too many changes that impact student enrollment

Advice to Management

Focus on getting people enrolled, guided pathways and the new application procedures are not working. Students are having to jump through hoops just to apply to the college, then they need to do information sessions, etc. before they can even be eligible for registration. It is too much work for a college that boasts an open-door policy and this will not improve enrollment, retention, or graduation in the long-term. Employees on the campus level were not asked for advice, input, etc. when deciding to implement these new procedures. It is a mess and students are frustrated and angry - for good reason.

8. "Great people to work with"

I have been working at ACC part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work--very nice co-workers and leadership. Very good hourly pay. Good facilities.

Cons

Health insurance is expensive for part-timers.

Advice to Management

Improve health insurance benefits for part-timers.

9. "Computer Technician"

I have been working at ACC part-time

Pros

Close to home, starting pay is OK while a student. Staff is friendly. I hear benefits are good if you get hired full-time.

Cons

Rare advancement opportunities. You will feel "stuck." Too many department heads not enough employees.

Advice to Management

Technology is 10 years ahead of ACC. Stop building campuses and focus on online courses/college.

10. "not paid appropriately"

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at ACC part-time

Pros

-When I eventually was able to teach a course, the students were genuinely interested and that made my job easier.
    -Supervisor/coordinator was helpful and straightforward when it came to needing materials for the class, and scheduling

Cons

-Classes would not always make, leading to periods of no employment/having another job to support yourself
    -You were only paid for the hours spent of actual time teaching, which meant that even if you prepared several hours each week for a class outside of the meeting time, you were paid way less. This also meant that you could prepare several hours work just getting ready for a class, only to have it cancelled a couple of days before it started
    -Late night classes were not ideal
    -The onboarding process was a mess, I had to travel up north to the Highland Campus several times to get with HR to complete my paperwork, since they are decades behind and would only accept faxed documents, snail mail or in person (and I live in SW Austin)

Advice to Management

-Find some way to compensate instructors for some of their prep time, especially in the semesters/weeks when classes don't make. It's very frustrating to spend hours preparing for a class, having it cancelled, and not being compensated appropriately for that hard work.
    -Streamline the onboarding process, and get with the 21st century (no faxes!)