ACCO Engineered Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Jeff Marrs
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "HVAC Engineering Powerhouse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

I worked at ACCO Engineered Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Strong emphasis on Engineering to start projects in the right direction
    * Multiple disciplines, departments, and career paths available
    * Hands-on opportunities available
    * Huge knowledge-base to tap into
    * Most decisions are relatively fast and without a huge bureaucracy to deal with
    * Great people to work with
    * Willing to spend money on good ideas
    * Good job stability if you perform well
    * Good software tools
    * ESOP!!!

Cons

* Reviews can be infrequent
    * Pay range on the lower side of industry
    * Occasional parking problems
    * Long hours on occasion
    * Pay ceiling unless you go into Sales/Project Management
    * Benefits are EXPENSIVE if you cover others. (Compared to others)

Advice to Management

Create more non-sales roles that are attainable after years of service.

2. "Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at ACCO Engineered Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of resources, plenty of work

Cons

too traditional and old fashioned

Advice to Management

Need to renovate current office space and adapt to different type of work style.

"Overworked and Underpaid, Lack of respect and support for administrative support jobs"

I worked at ACCO Engineered Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are actually pretty great, and the company does have some serious goals so I never felt as if I wasn't actually working towards something. Many of my coworkers were great people I still have friendships with.

Cons

The management is awful. No respect for the level of work it actually takes to hit the absurd goals that were set within my own department. I often felt as if my own manager was treating me more like a disobedient child than an employee, which of course did nothing to actually inspire to work harder. I understand that this manager in particular has left, but he was a symptom of a disease within the company. Avoid ACCO if you can't handle toxic office politics and a total lack of basic respect.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees. When employees are afraid to report harassment and bad behavior on the part of their superiors, for fear of retribution, that's a problem. Health care and free food is great, but it means nothing if you are underpaid and stressed out.

"Executive Manager"

Current Employee - Executive Vice President - Pacific Rim in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Vice President - Pacific Rim in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ACCO Engineered Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fiscal structure between the Construction teams (Union Labor for Piping, Sheet Metal and Plumbing Departments) and the Project Management Teams (Corporate Management Teams) is genius.

Cons

Toxic work environment on the corporate side. Desperate, starving college graduates, incredibly overworked and underpaid.

Advice to Management

If it wasn't for our ability to deploy multiple scopes of skilled (Union) labor, regionally and Nationally this company would still be ~400M (1980). Our affiliation with Airco FCU is a play that we can count on for margin beyond the imminent shrink of our market share. We need to focus on our young and talented (college) youth. We need to ensure ACCOs vines will continue to grow fruit. The water cannot be simply poured on the leaves, it needs to be shared with the ground. Help make ACCO a destination for all Engineers moving forward. drive profit sharing into their contracts. drive training into their scope. set deadlines and goals beyond the current project. Skim the chaff of current Executive managers down to a workable core. Promote from within and be a single pain of glass visible with the Owner. Breaking the $1B annual was great. These next two years reflecting on our current managers and how we treat our succession is paramount if we plan to stay on top.

5. "Plumber"

Current Employee - Plumber in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Plumber in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at ACCO Engineered Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big company, been around for a while.

Cons

Lack of support for safety and supplies.

Advice to Management

Preach about safety support safety

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Administrative in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Glendale, CA

I worked at ACCO Engineered Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They are one of the top HVAC companies in the state and are knowledgeable in the business. They have excellent benefits and care about their employees

Cons

Working experience in the company varies by department and/or manager. It would be unfortunate if you worked under someone who did not fit a manager position. I suggest moving to another department within the company.

7. "Great Culture"

I have been working at ACCO Engineered Systems full-time

Pros

There is an atmosphere at ACCO of a mixture between professional and down to earth. Everyone is very friendly and inviting. There are always fun events happening. There are also many opportunities to learn and grow my career here.

Cons

They are very divided by their divisions. At the end of the day, everyone is a part of the ACCO family.

8. "DC1"

Current Employee - Dc1 in Booneville, MS
    Current Employee - Dc1 in Booneville, MS

I have been working at ACCO Engineered Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

working with others an being responsible for getting product to customer in a timely an safe manner

Cons

not enough hours at times

9. "Field associate displays/packaging"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Booneville, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Booneville, MS

Pros

The hours and the pay really was what I liked about Acco. Watching how the company worked, I really liked that.

Cons

Sometimes the orders would get behind and we would volunteer to work sunday.

"HVACR Technichian / ex forman"

Former Employee - HVACR Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - HVACR Technician in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ACCO Engineered Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Everything about company. Acco is #1 HVAC contractor in California. It has it's hands in every branch of you can think of in HVAC/R departments. You can work in any branch of this company they are all strong excellent fields. Excellent exposure and hands on experience. Very open book honest company I enjoyed working in many departments of Acco. There is nothing this company can't do, build or fix.

Cons

Acco is a very strong dynamic force in continuos motion. Growing pains are constant. Not recommended to anyone who doesn't love what they do. ( not for a slow pace thinking person )

Advice to Management

Keep enforcing / rewarding hard working employee's to stay knowledgeable and on top / ahead of HVAC technology, ( As most are ) Steve Tuttle, Best Boss / CEO I ever worked for in 21 year career so far and by far. Best leader I ever had the pleasure to work for.