ACT Commodities Reviews

Updated Mar 18, 2020

4.1
ACT Commodities Co-CEOs/Co-Founders Bram Bastiaansen and Jaap Janssen (no image)
Bram Bastiaansen and Jaap Janssen
  1. "Exciting time to be at ACT"

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supportive senior leadership. A lot of room to develop and show your entrepreneurial spirit. Fun environment. Definitely a place that I'm pumped to go to every day.

Cons

None at this time

September 6, 2019Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with ACT! We are happy to hear that you enjoy ACT and the culture/environment.

"Toxic environment - proceed with caution"

2.0
    Former Employee - Controller

I worked at ACT Commodities full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to make money if you started early and got a decent slice of the customer pie. The company weekend is fun too. Good place if you have no experience and just graduated college.

Cons

Success will highly depend on your manager and how much you're willing to put the effort in making cold calls without one of your colleagues cannibalizing your margin. Limited liquidity in the market and the products are highly influenced by political agendas so it's definitely not your typical trading environment. Overall it's a frat-house type work environment that can be toxic at times. There is a non-compete agreement you will be signing and they have enforced it with employees in more than one office location in the past, so don't expect to use anything you learn at ACT somewhere else.

December 9, 2019Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience did not lead to a positive recommendation. At ACT we strive to be a great work environment for everyone and feedback helps us to improve this on an ongoing basis. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

"Really Great Company"

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time

Pros

Senior Leaders value transparency and care about their people. Access to a private performance coach, lots of training and support for personal and professional development. High earning potential. Fun place to work, team members are friends outside of work.

Cons

None at this time.

Continue reading

"High pressure phone sales"

2.0

I worked at ACT Commodities full-time

Pros

Happy hours and team events if we hit monthly targets. Can make a very good bonus - but most good markets/clients are already being managed by someone else.

Cons

High pressure sales job with a lot of cold calling. Call stats are tracked. Little career and skills development as the job scope is limited and narrow.

May 14, 2018Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. The entrepreneurial nature of the Sales Trader role includes prospecting, which is a core part of how our sales traders build their business. I’m sorry to hear that the career development opportunities didn’t meet your expectations. As part of the trainee program that every sales trader goes through, we offer sales training, negotiations training, call reviews, private sales coaching, and access to a personal coach. All feedback is important to us and we appreciate your thoughts.

"Amazing company to work for!"

in New York, NY

I have been working at ACT Commodities for less than a year

Pros

ACT Commodities provides an open and inclusive environment. Each employee has a direct impact on the company. The team is ambitious, collaborative and most importantly fun. ACT is growing rapidly, which allows its employees to continue to develop on both a professional and personal level.

Cons

No cons at this time.

March 26, 2018Recruiter

Thank you for your review and great to hear your positive experience!

6. "Solid firm"

Current Employee - Physical Fuels Trader in New York, NY

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time for less than a year

Pros

• Properly aligned to grow within the environment commodities space. • Active participation of Senior management and Traders in daily activities. • Solid base salary and generous bonus structure. • Structured so that the employee determines the growth of their own business, but with the backing and experience of a larger firm. • Established flat organization.

Cons

Nothing critical to mention.

March 26, 2018Recruiter

Thank you for your review! And yes, we keep going like this :)

7. "Excellent Firm"

Current Employee - Sales -Trader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time for less than a year

Pros

ACT continues to grow and add talent to its team of Sales-Traders who pride themselves on being competitive, hard working, and versatile. The firm interacts within exciting markets that will continue to grow rapidly in the coming years. All employees are well versed in the intricacies and culture of the client base and markets. The move to New York City will grow the firm in size and scope and should provide key access to client bases and financial/energy related markets.

Cons

No negatives to mention as of now. Hours can be substantial and similar to Investment Banking due to the high focus on relationship building and deal flow.

March 26, 2018Recruiter

Thank you for your review! Much appreciated. Have a great week!

"Sales Trader"

Associate, Sales and Trading in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ACT Commodities

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Very team oriented environment that demands hard work and a driven personality. It is a small team but very tight knit. The role requires an individual who thrives in a sink or swim atmosphere. The base pay is strong and offers a bonus structure that is uncommon in most entry level front office positions. ACT is a flat organization with almost no hierarchy. Traders work directly with managing partners and founders.

Cons

Early mornings and long hours. Don't expect to show up and work a 9-5 job. Mornings begin before 6am. While the team is small working as a trader requires a self motivated personality and willingness to learn from mistakes.

March 26, 2018Recruiter

Thank you for your review and your input! Have a great week!

"Great atmosphere"

Current Employee - Sales Trader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time for more than a year

Pros

This firm has a good balance between work and play. Great perks and bonus plan. If you have an interest in renewable energy you'll really like it here.

Cons

San Francisco can be foggy at times. Occasionally traffic here is a nightmare. It never rains. It rarely is warmer than 80, or colder than 50.

March 26, 2018Recruiter

Hi, thank you for your review! As we have our offices in Amsterdam and New York, the climat overthere is pretty good :)

"Firm to keep an eye on"

4.0
    Current Employee - Sales Trader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great starting salary. Good medical and bonus plan. Work closely with managers and directors. Good work atmosphere. Empower their employees

Cons

City is expensive. Weather is Mild. Work NY hour (can be a plus)

March 26, 2018Recruiter

Thank you for your review. Much appreciated. Have a great week!

Found 18 reviews