Absolute Spa Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Wendy Lisogar-Cocchia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I chose to move on for a more flexible schedule but I miss my absolute family"

I worked at Absolute Spa full-time

Pros

A family atmosphere...professional desk staff, co-workers that help each other

Cons

set schedule and unable to choose break times

Advice to Management

More flexibility for employees regarding scheduling

"Esthetician"

Former Employee - Esthetician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Absolute Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Definitely a "teamwork" vibe, coworkers are great, tips are in cash daily, relaxed workplace, everyone constantly uses their phones and sit around

Cons

They make it seem like you will make commission on services instead of minimum wage (which is also a joke because even the people at the front desk who didn't shell out 20 grand for school and training make $2/hr more... no experience necessary) but in reality you'll get $11/hr for 25-30 hours a week even if you're a full time employee because it is very slow and you get put on call a lot. The commission based rate is a complete joke, the commission goes down anytime the service price does (specials on services, group bookings, promotions) so the company is losing out on nothing and taking away from the estheticians when they do things like sales. They like to hire students right out of school to give you $11 but charge a high rate for services ($150 facials, $80 pedicures) with little to no training. Training is basically doing a small part of the service and the person you're training with going "yeah that's good enough"They also do product knowledge training with the company's products they sell a couple times a year which you are expected to attend but do not get paid for, and if you skip them they threaten to take away the services with those products used in them from you. Turn over rate is very high because the company lies to get you on board but keeps none of the promises it says. And then they refuse to be a reference for you because they would lose too many people if they did. There are no benefits..... you pay full price for any services you may want, can't trade services with others, basically a 20% discount on some products and that's about it. Managers are really unfriendly and unapproachable, they make getting time off a nightmare (you have to ask everyone to cover your shifts and mark down that you asked them before you put in your time off request form for the time off, they want 2 months notice for any days off, and won't give any time off may-September and November-January because that's the "busy time" of year. The spa is also kind of a mess. ALWAYS out of necessary products (nail files/wood sticks, skin products used for facials, things like gauze, towels, sheets, robes) and it's up to you to try and figure out what you're going to do/how you're going to complete the service without the necessary items. They aren't concerned about estheticians daily schedules, they will take out breaks or move them to something like an hour after you get there or an hour before you leave which I'm personally not a fan of because I run out of energy and need to eat. Paycheques were kind of dumb, twice a month on the 15th and last day of the month, BUT you have to wait "5 business days" after said dates but they aren't always on time and nearly 80% of my cheques were wrong by missing hours, or services, or sales. All in all the company is a complete joke but almost everyone I worked with was a complete delight.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people

"Unappreciated, and disposable"

Former Employee - Esthetician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Absolute Spa part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers. Made a lot of friends there. A good place to get some experience , if you just finished school, and then find somewhere else to work.It is pretty easy to get hired, because the turnover is very high.

Cons

They expect you to go above and beyond for every aspect of the job. Their attitude is if you don't like it , you can leave and they will just get someone else. They always hire people right out of school with no experience, so they can pay them as less as possible. Little do people know they are paying top dollar for services that are performed by very inexperienced staff. They cut your hours as much as possible, and keep you waiting as long as possible for your paycheque. I wouldn't recommend working for Absolute Spa if you have to pay rent and bills and don't live at home..

Advice to Management

Stop raising the prices so much, and respect your employees a little bit more

4. "Do not recommend this as a workplace!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Absolute Spa (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great clients.

Cons

Poor organization, poor training, inexperienced supervisors.

Advice to Management

The owners and management need to learn how to be real leaders. None of them know about leading by example and none of them know how to make their team feel appreciated.

"Needs to work on morale"

I worked at Absolute Spa full-time

Pros

The ladies and gents in-spa are fantastic!

Cons

No employee perks, ie discounts on services
    Low pay
    Upper management is not in touch with their employees
    Lack focus on employee happiness
    No opportunity for professional growth

Advice to Management

Develop better relationships with your employees
    Salary/staff commissions should be raised in proportion to your price increases

"Worst Company in B.C"

Former Employee - Concierge/Esthetician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Concierge/Esthetician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Absolute Spa full-time

Pros

only stayed coz became friends with my co workers only!!

Cons

Worst management / no breaks and delayed pay checks.
     no growth opportunities
     no raises no matter how long you worked with them

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better because they are the one managing your business.

"Absolutely The Best"

Current Employee - Esthetician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Absolute Spa full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been working for Absolute Spa for over 10 years! Our staff get along very well and we are a very close team. I have been provided with all the tools I need to give my guests 5 service . We get yearly educational training from Young Blood , Aroma Associates, Spa Binge, Clarion and many more companies. A few years ago, I requested to work part-time to stay home with my family. I was told family comes first. The owners and management care about us and this is why we have so many long term staff.

Cons

We don't interact with the other locations often, Maybe plan more company wide team building events.

Advice to Management

Plan Vip specials for our loyal guests...

8. "there are better places out there"

Current Employee - Esthetician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Absolute Spa (More than a year)

Pros

None- the estheticians and the RMTs are the only reason I stayed . They have become my friends

Cons

I been an esthetician for a few years now and we get useless training , the last training I was forces to attend was from Young Blood and it wasnt even training it was just a show and tell about the product . We are not allow to try on services and if we do we have to pay full prices . Most of the good staff that actual care about the bussiness quit as a result of the lack of hours and services . If you get hire make sure you have a back up job because you will get put on call . No raises . Always on call . Dirty towels and broken equipment . Over priced services . Useless non pay training . The only reason I stayed is because of some of the staff that I develop good friendships with

Advice to Management

Start by providing good linen and proper products so we can perform the over priced services we provide

9. "Absolute Nightmare"

Former Employee - SPA Manager in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - SPA Manager in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at Absolute Spa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The actual esthetians and concierges are very friendly

Cons

You are disposable . They basically dont care how long you work for the company and how dedicated you have been to the brand . If you are an esthetician you have to be 100% available to work at all times . Most of the time you are placed on call and only call you if there are any spa services available . Estheticians are provided with no spa product training and they are pushed to sell customers with products that are not only overly expensive but that they are not able to try themselves . If you are a concierge you get no hours as the managers work alone most of the time . Some Managers abuse you -literally- they verbally harrased you and nothing gets done. No perks and incentives . They make it so is impossible to apply for benefits . Little wages for both concierges and estheticians

Advice to Management

Recognize and retain the employees that actually care . Fire the managers that are horrible to the staff

10. "Esthetician"

I worked at Absolute Spa part-time

Pros

A well-known high end spa in town and provided a wide range of different services. Most of the co-workers were nice, friendly and helpful.

Cons

Low pay. Working hours were not guaranteed. Managers were not nice and supportive.

Advice to Management

Please value your employees!