Arbella Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John F. Donohue

Pros
  • The culture is truly work life balance and supportive of volunteering in the community (in 10 reviews)

• Management really tries to get to know the individual and makes an effort to improve the work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • People often try to kiss up the senior management team (in 4 reviews)

• The only reason I left was for a family move to another state (in 2 reviews)

1. "Excellent Company"

I have been working at Arbella Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance
    Excellent work environment
    Great culture and values

Cons

I did not experience any downsides to working at the company. The only reason I left was for a family move to another state.

"Great People but company not pushing forward"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Boston, MA

I have been working at Arbella Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I had the privilege of working with were naturally good hearted people . There were different activities the company does to get the coworkers together and leads for a great culture and home away from home .

Cons

Working in Claims is the heart of an insurance agency . Arbella is competing with the top agencies around the world and with that being said they are extremely behind on the technology. Not having the right tools to successfully do your job has caused many employees to leave and come to work overwhelmed and dissatisfied . The company is understaffed in claims but home office refuses to add more people so that work flow is more manageable . Everything is outdated from the website , sending paper mail for everything and the countless phone calls that could be solved by having the proper technology imputed . We are overworked and underpaid .

Advice to Management

Since the company's money doesn't go to our paychecks because salaries are on average lower , and there isn't any real advertising cost , use that money to revamp your technology . Get an app and improve your website , so that as an adjuster we can focus on our insured's, getting accurate statements , making sure the claims are correct and thorough . And also ... 5 people can't handle a 20+ Job ! If the auto space is the highest in insurance and claims then stop being stingy and expand the MD claims department so that everyone isn't miserable and looking for somewhere else to work .

3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Boston, MA

I worked at Arbella Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Arbella are always willing to help!
    Very collaborative environment

Cons

Senior management very quick to finger point against other departments to save themselves. this is not unique to Arbella though

"Customer Service Representative"

I have been working at Arbella Insurance full-time

Pros

It is a great company atmosphere that cares for employees and the community. There are many opportunities to get involved.

Cons

Working in customer service is very scheduled. The management can be pretentious and make you feel incompetent. I would like to stay with the company but leave customer service.

Advice to Management

Treat employees more as individuals. Even though there is a hierarchy it is important to treat your subordinates like adults.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Arbella Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent focus on staff and customer.

Cons

No cons at this time

Advice to Management

Continue to dovetail your focus on customers and employees!

7. "claim service center rep"

Current Employee - Claims Service Center Representative in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Claims Service Center Representative in Quincy, MA

Pros

Great working environment. Teamwork is a plus.

Cons

I have no negative feedback

Advice to Management

none

"I gave Arbella 1 star because my review wouldn't be accepted with no stars"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Quincy, MA

I worked at Arbella Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, location (if you live south of Boston), and most employees below the management level. There are a lot of good people working here who are just inundated with work by an employer who only cares about the bottom line (something I was once told in a meeting) - making money. As a result there are a lot of good people, hard working people, employed here who are very unhappy. I ask that you keep that in mind when you are talking to them on the phone about a claim. Things can get heated, I know but these people are under a lot of stress. Don't believe the "feel good" stuff you read in recent reviews on this same page. I'll address those later.

Cons

Work volume is unmanageable. The company has downsized to the point where they don't have enough adjusters to handle a high volume of claims such as the winter of 2014. Management ends up pulling people out of other departments, provides half assed training and expects expert claim handling....along with expecting these same people to do their own jobs at the same time. Many times when I was here I heard the words "stay late, come in early, work weekends....whatever it takes to get the job done" from a supervisor who had never done my job. And OT pay? Forget it. You were, and still are, expected to volunteer your own time for the Arbella cause. Arbella also doesn't promote from within anymore. Now, when a management position opens up, they go outside the company for candidates. In my early years here, they would promote from within. Back then, it was a decent place to work. There was upward mobility. Employees were motivated to do more with the hope of a promotion as a reward. Now, that is no longer the case. What's an employee's motivation to do more? He/she will just get bypassed on a promotion in favor of an outsider who has never done the job he/she will be supervising. Most of these ""professional managers", as I call them, are hacks with connections to whoever may be the VP of claims at the time. The VP's used to work their way up in the company. Now they are brought in from another company, create chaos for 5 - 7 years and then are given a nice severance package to move on to another company to run that place into the ground. The Claims Workstation, the computer system at Arbella, is a mess. It's slow. There are far too many windows and "clicks" needed to perform a simple task. It creates more work for the employee.

Advice to Management

Start promoting from within again!!!!!! Go back to the days when the VP of claims started as a claim rep, worked up to supervisor then department manager and then, finally, VP. Employees have respect for someone who has worked their way up through the company and earned the promotions. Respect is important and is earned....not given because a person has a title. Stop promoting yourself as being so generous to those less fortunate. When you donate money to excellent causes like Project Bread and the Susan Komen Foundation, the good vibes fade really quick when you let go a longtime employee with a family who has spent his entire career helping to make your company successful (no, I am not referring to myself. I left on my own accord for a better opportunity). Of course, you don't publish THAT news on your Facebook page, do you? Also, stop flooding the Glassdoor review page with fake reviews. Are we really to believe that the most recent review is legitimate? An employee had nothing better to do on Christmas Day than to go on Glassdoor and give his/her employer a glowing review? Really???? Now, I've heard of feeling charitable and being in the Christmas spirit but THAT is ridiculous. Also, so many of the recent reviews have a common theme: really no cons to speak of, how great management is etc....and all of these reviews have popped up suddenly after several bad reviews were posted on here. How do you go from such negative feedback to "really no cons to speak of" so quickly???? Awfully suspicious. I know I've been gone for a few years, and very happy to be where I am, and there's been plenty of turnover there since I left but I still know enough people who work there who are miserable so, that tells me that these positive reviews are fakes, planted here by management, written under duress by current employees or some other duplicitous scheme.

9. "Claims"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Arbella Insurance (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing place to work! No wonder it wins top 3 Best Places to work by the BBJ!

Cons

No cons. From top management to interns, everyone is great.

10. "Pleased with work quality"

I have been working at Arbella Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New to the company, did not know what to expect. Everyone is super nice and helpful and really ease you in. Very relaxed environment but at the same time employees do get a lot of quality work done.

Cons

Haven't seen to many downsides at the moment. Typical corporate environment but honestly the people make the day worth while.

11. "Can't wait to build my career here"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at Arbella Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Personable coworkers, employees come first, give back to the community, provide all necessary materials (training/orientation/attentive team managers/supervisors)

Cons

Wish every office had a gym/fitness center/nutritional help.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.