Austin Communication Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Place to Grow"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at Austin Communication Group for about nine months. I was not your typical employee. I was older and had more sales experience than any other them, heck, pretty much all of them combined. However, that was not the reason I took the position. I was between cable jobs and wanted to get back to my roots of 30 years ago so I started going door to door. I thought I was going to get just a paycheck, but I got so much more.

First, the work is hard, but you learn so much about yourself. The job does not build character as much as reveals it. Second, you will get to know a good group of very motivated people that have aspirations far beyond the front of a door. You might find lifelong friends. Third, it's a pretty fun place to work...if you are young and single. And fourth, you will get thousands of dollars worth of sales training for FREE! You might make some decent money along the way and you might want to move up in the company. All in all I would say my association with ACG was very rewarding and would recommend it to anyone out of college that wants to really learn how to sell.

Cons

It's hard work and most people don't want to do it. However, if you try you might find out things about yourself that you never knew. You can't really put a price on that.

Advice to Management

My owner, Neha, and the other owner, Austin, really care about their people personally. They are there to see them do well in whatever they end up doing. My advice: Keep that attitude.

2. "Awesome"

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time

Pros

Cool place to work. Nice coworkers. Good looking boss.

Cons

Very long hours. Work saturdays.

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Entry Level in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Entry Level in Austin, TX

Pros

There is a great mix of teamwork and independence with this company. They manage to bring the whole office together in a great friendly way. The meetings are always organized to be fun for the employees but extremely informational as well. I had a personal coach Mike who has been with the company for several years and is completely dedicated to what they do. It was refreshing and fun to be working with someone who is so in love with what he does. Mike was working with me day and night and he was a great resource for me. He was always available to answer questions I had and it was obvious he wanted me to become the best I could be.
    What I loved most about the company is they never let me lose sight of what my real goal was. I have a degree in geology and moved to Austin to pursue a career in the field. I made this clear to them when they hired me and it was never a problem; in fact they honed my personal skills in a direction that helped me get my dream job. If you are looking to grow as a individual I highly suggest working with ACG. Personally, I had a short stay with ACG; the only reason I left is because I got hired as a hydrogeologist faster than I anticipated. In my stay at ACG they taught me skills I will carry with me throughout my entire life. I used techniques they taught me in my interviews and I honestly believe this is why I got hired. You can be as smart as the day is long but if you cannot talk or relate to people you will always struggle in the work force. The owners and managers focus on each individual they take on and help develop them in the direction you chose.
    It was a great feeling having the owners and managers send me off with a big congratulations. They helped me get to where I wanted to be and i honestly felt like there was a mutual sense of gratitude we have for each other.

Cons

You have to work hard to be successful in this company. If you can introduce me to a company that you don't have to work hard for to be successful in, I will quit my job right now and come work for you.

Advice to Management

Keep taking everyone out for wings and beer every week, that never sucks.

4. "Brainwashed"

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much at all

Cons

Door to Door Sales trying to get people to switch to AT&T and I'm sure the ratings are good cause current employees self rate it.

Advice to Management

Tell people the truth don't sugar coat what you actually do

"A complete joke"

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros, only a cult of people who are brainwashed into thinking that their time is actually valued and they will get somewhere if they "work hard enough". It's really pathetic actually.

Cons

DOOR TO DOOR SALES. Which is not necessarily a bad job, but if you bust your butt all day and make no sales, you don't get paid at all. Your success rate is almost entirely based on other people and their integrity. How is that in any way fair? My success is determined on if 4 or 5 other people are accountable? What a joke. Also, don't expect any free time. When you get off work at 9:30-10 pm after being there since 10:30 am, you're forced to go to mandatory team nights, and team building nights. If you don't, you will be confronted in front of everyone. Very immature place to work in, don't expect anyone to tell you the truth.

Advice to Management

Grow up.

"My experience so far working here has been very uplifting and challenging ."

Pros

Personal Growth, Work Environment , Training , Doni , Dena , and Jennie

Cons

I wouldn't change anything !

"A lying and awful business"

Pros

If you enjoy lying and screwing people over then this is the job for you. If your highest aspiration is to be like the guys on wolf of wall street this is for you. This job is for those who are okay lying to total strangers just to make a few bucks themself while at the expense of hundreds of dollars for the customer not to mention time after time of having people come and install and uninstall equipment into their home. This job is for those who are okay with hustling and cheating their way to the top. And this job is for those who are okay with the boss who lies to new employees about a bonus that he snakes his way out of.

Cons

If you have any morals or values whatsoever this job will not be for you. if you cannot lie to stranger stay straight through your teeth this job is not for you . if you cannot screw someone out of hundreds of dollars just for the sake of your own paycheck this job is not for you . if you want a job that's rewarding and that you feel good about earning your money this job is not for you. if you are looking for a job where your boss actually pays you your bonuses this job is not for you. if you're looking for a job where they actually pay you what you earned this job is not for you.

"Not an enjoyable experience"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Dress code, make your own schedule, mobility

Cons

Door to door sales, danger ous, bothersome to people

Advice to Management

Try a different approach

"Amazing company!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager/Recruiter
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager/Recruiter

I have been working at Austin Communication Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the pros of working for this company is definitely the company culture that they provide for their employees. Team nights every week really allows their employees to have a great bond and relationship with each other. Their Management Development Program is extremely effective and teaches you not only the skills necessary to succeed with owning an account but also how to grow and develop personally.

Cons

Promotions are not going to come easy, its a lot of hard work and dedication, but well worth it in the long run.

"Just call it what it is, DOOR TO DOOR"

I worked at Austin Communication Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with, very motivating and young. A people helping people business which sounds good in theory. It is hard work and looks great on a resume.

Cons

its sales; so obviously your pay is going to change based on how well you do, but there are plenty more sales jobs that you can make more money and spend less time working. It wasn't until I could take a step back from it all and realize it is a bit brainwashy (if that's even a word). You'll play dress up in the mornings for 3 hours and change into more comfortable clothes to go door to door. Their reasoning for playing dress up is what if other business owners and CEOs walk in, you want to give them the impression that they don't know who the boss is because everyone is dressed professional. You would really have to care what other people think about you to buy in to this idea. It's also another way to glorify your position form what you really do, and that's door to door sales. They'll try to convince you that if this "opportunity" isn't for you than go work at some "desk job". It's just their way of saying don't leave them because they need employees. They're always hiring. I wouldn't say that they hire just anyone but if you have a half a brain, dress decent, aren't a complete bum and can talk to people then chances are you'll be invited back for a "2nd round interview". All that consists of is if basically you can last 8 hours dressed nice going door to door and your still slightly interested than the job is all yours. The time is extremely demanding as well. I would say about 80 percent of the employees if not higher currently have no social life other than work. Partially because they came into the business with no social life to begin with which is why they love working there. There is a "mandatory team night" as well as whatever team your placed on they have nights where they get together and do things. So in other words they make you hangout with people outside of work. If nothing else this company makes a great buddy system for those without the social life. I've kept in touch with more than a handful or people that have left the business and the feeling is unanimous among all the former employees. The compensation can absolutely be rewarding......if you are extremely consistent sales (which a select few are) and assuming you have a lot sales if your cancel percentage is low (which even fewer are). All in all this isn't the only business that you can be successful in, take it from me who worked there for over 6 months and was led to believe that this was my best opportunity in life and if I quit then there'd only be desk jobs left for me, I've since left and have been successful almost immediately and work half the hours I used to and love the people I work with without being forced to.

Advice to Management

Don't hype people up on the opportunity being easy and fast. Id like to see the percentage of people that become successful from this business compared to the ones that don't. Plus don't have current employees forcefully fill out positive glassdoor and facebook reviews to make the company look good.