Austin Focus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Kaitlin Michael

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • People are nice and people are positive (in 5 reviews)

• There is great opportunity to get promoted, it just depends on work ethic, effort, and attitude (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, not great pay at first, have to memorize a lot of products, and hardly any breaks (in 8 reviews)

• It's pretty much a pyramid scheme that attracts entitled millennial believing they can make a lot of money in a matter of 9 months to a year (in 6 reviews)

"Great Opportunity for Those Willing to Work Hard"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Focus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have so many great things to say about this company. I'll start first by saying I was definitely iffy about interviewing with Kati after seeing some of the reviews that I saw but I decided to take a shot anyway. With almost 10 years of marketing experience under my belt, I figured I was too qualified for this role.

I went about the interview process from 1st to 3rd and I was blown away by the knowledge I learned in just 3 interviews as compared to going to school and working in a corporate setting. I was HIGHLY impressed with what The Austin Focus is doing and would recommend individuals to take a shot, go for the interview, and don't let the negative reviews dictate your outlook on a company you haven't even met.

Cons

No major cons - again, I think the reviews can really give people the wrong impression. As I stated before, I would definitely recommend taking a leap of faith and get to know Kati and her team before letting the opinions of others sway your decision.

Advice to Management

Work hard, stay humble and ask A LOT of questions. I've learned that the fastest and best way to grow is to always make sure you don't put yourself on an island and think you know everything. Keep doing what you're doing, Austin Focus!!!

Jan 6, 2018 – Owner

Thank you for your positive feedback, we appreciate your opinion!

"Great experience"

I worked at Austin Focus full-time

Pros

The people are amazing and very enthusiastic about helping.

Cons

Work schedule is pretty heavy. It is a time sacrifice.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Nov 15, 2017 – Owner

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate hearing from you and having you part of our team!

"Not the job you think"

I have been working at Austin Focus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive and motivational team

Cons

This job is not at all what i thought it was, as the company posts so many listings of all different positions they hold and they end up being all the same - sales. They also preach that its not sales but it is. You sit inside a costco and annoy people all day and become super pushy and fake. Its all sales, not event planning, marketing, pr, none. Also they promise that by a year you'll be making 6 figures, when starting with an $8/hr pay for 40 or less hours a week (and no weekends off!) and expect you to make biz dinners, calls, talks, studying and meetings out side of that for no additional pay. You wont have time to do anything else, Im having trouble just even trying to hang out with my family & friends or do anything i used to do because it takes up all my time (& i know time mgmt, thats not the issue).

If you have nothing to do and no life and you want to work a sales position this is the right fit. I understand the opportunity, but for all the work i invest in this company isn't really worth it or my time & stress

Advice to Management

Be clear on the jobs you list online. LITERALLY put the exact title and description instead of creating all these fake titles for the same position. If you don't want to be called a scam, then stop acting like one.

Also you need to realize people have other priorities to take care of, people that depend on them for things, or maybe would like to take on a volunteering position but cant because they have to put all their focus and time into your company. Don't wear your employees out or they will start leaving. I understand team nights, but the last thing i want to do after working all day and night with yall is to spend my free time with you guys that i can use for something else, and then get criticized for not participating. Im putting this review anym to hopefully help change the process while im still here.

Oct 9, 2017 – Owner

Here at The Austin Focus, we focus on brand promotion and sales for Fortune 500 companies, which we discuss in all three rounds of the interview before offering someone a position with us. We also... More

"Great Training Program"

Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Focus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company so far has had a positive approach to all training. They have prepared materials from day one and has given extensive information for each client and are very thorough with their cross training.

Cons

Studying outside of work hours.

Jul 18, 2017 – Owner

Thank you, we appreciate any and all feedback! Welcome to the team!

"Buisness Management"

I worked at Austin Focus full-time

Pros

On the job training,with an environment of peers who want to be there just as much as you do. Team work at its finest.

Cons

Travel and No Employee benefits as you are contracted.

Advice to Management

The purpose of the program is to get you into managing your own Business, while getting paid.

Aug 2, 2017 – Owner

Thank you for the feedback about our team environment! We appreciate any and all feedback!

"Intern"

I worked at Austin Focus part-time

Pros

This was a great company to learn the ins and outs of business within a short period of time. The management is extremely helpful and everyone in the company is their to help as well. You can gain a ton of knowledge and skills you never thought you would have been able to learn.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Aug 2, 2017 – Owner

We appreciate your positivity towards our hands on internship! If you have any suggestions on how we can improve our business and promote positive growth, please email us at... More

"A lot of hard work. You have to be very sales oriented."

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Focus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Have the potential to make some money and the staff is very supportive. Once you're hired, you're very well trained.

Cons

Long hours, not great pay at first, have to memorize a lot of products, and hardly any breaks. Have to travel a lot.

Advice to Management

I would give more information about the job and the requirements before you hire someone. Just be more clear on jobs.

Aug 2, 2017 – Owner

Here at The Austin Focus we are an event based marketing firm where we cultivate a positive experience for both our team and clients. We appreciate your positive feedback about our supportive staff... More

"Too little pay for so much work."

Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Austin Focus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very positive environment and people who are willing to spend time with you, so you can reach your goals.

Cons

LONG hours. Plan to work about 60-70 hours a week with only getting paid for 40 of those hours. You are expected to spend lots of time outside of your scheduled hours for dinners, workshops, book club meetings, etc. It for sure consumes your life.

Use your judgement, but if it sounds too good to be true, then it's probably not true. Be discerning in your interview because a lot of what they tell you is not true. They are not currently interviewing 200 people for 1 position. If you are normal, you'll get hired, but they try to make you feel like you might not get it.

Advice to Management

Time manage and make sure your employees feel like you care about their personal life. Work on your retention rates because right now they are very low.

Aug 2, 2017 – Owner

Here at The Austin Focus, we strive for a positive environment with our team by being extremely thorough with our extra hands on training. We, in fact, do have optional workshops, book club meetings... More

"Entrepreneurial Bootcamp"

Current Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Focus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is such an incredible opportunity for those willing to work for it. It's basically entrepreneurial/business world bootcamp with a built in venture capitalist. The owner and leaders in the office will take you under their wing and teach you everything you need to know in order to be successful not just in their industry but literally everywhere else. The skill set is so valuable. I've been here for 3 months and have already learned so much about money and time management, work ethic, optimism, problem solving, visual merchandising, professionalism and image, and even how to interview and train! Plus everyone here is so fun to be around. Not only do they really care and invest in your success but they're actually people I enjoy hanging out with outside of work as well.

Cons

My only cons would be that it's definitely a time commitment. However, you have to realize you're basically getting a masters in business management worth of knowledge and training while ALSO earning a living. Anyone else who goes to school and works full time puts in the hours you will here but trust me, it's worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Pat yourself on the back! What an incredible place!

Aug 2, 2017 – Owner

Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate anything that can help us cultivate a positive environment and promote positive growth!

"People Building People"

Current Employee - Marketing Campaign Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Campaign Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Austin Focus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part about working with The Austin Focus is the positive environment that showcases and applauds everyone's strengths and achievements. You're constantly commended for your efforts and given the opportunity to share your experiences in order to help build others to reach their full potential. There is no greater feeling of accomplishment than seeing the people around you achieve their goals and knowing that you were apart of helping them reach them.

Cons

I don't see anything I do as a "con"/ something that's bad or not worth it. Yes, it's hard work; anything worth being proud of doing is. Yes, there's constructive criticism; how do we expect to get better and grow without it. If someone isn't willing to put in the time and isn't willing to learn then exactly what is it that makes them feel they're entitled to success? Because success is built from hard work and learning from mistakes made.

Advice to Management

The management track is extremely expidited. A person is given hands on training and an assigned mentor to accelerate their climb to management so that instead of years it takes only months.