BECU Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2020

3.8
BECU CEO Benson Porter
Benson Porter
Pros
  • "Absolutely work-life balance, great people helping the great community(in 36 reviews)

• "Becu not only is competitive in wages but has great benefits(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be a challenge, too many meetings with too many opinions(in 11 reviews)

• "Unrealistic sales goals that are more strictly enforced than told during interviews(in 10 reviews)

1. "A great culture"

Current Employee - Member Consultant in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, management, values, work life balance, and salary

Cons

Goals sometimes difficult depending on branch location

"Its ok"

Former Employee - Member Consultant II

I worked at BECU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and work life balance

Cons

High Burn out rate, finger pointing from management/support teams, and Upper management really has no concept of the stresses of the ground level. Will fire you at the drop of a dime if you make any sort of mistake.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great values and culture. They care about the employees for sure.

Cons

long travels to corporate office if you don't live in the area

4. COVID-19

"Disappointing Experience"

1.0
    Current Employee - Member Consultant

I have been working at BECU full-time for more than a year

Pros

BECU gave great benefits, including health insurance, dental insurance, 401K matching (50% matching up to 6%), BeWell reimbursement, and others.

Cons

Very stressful work environment. When interviewing I was told that BECU isn't a high-pressure sales environment, but that very much turned out not to be the case. You have to sell, sell, sell, and one of your bonuses is based around how high of a balance the people you sell loans, lines of credits, and credit cards have, so you're incentivized to sell to people who will carry those balances. Also, during our ethics training, they state that banks and credit unions shouldn't use sales numbers to give out bonuses. However, BECU's bonuses are based entirely around sales numbers, which led to coworkers trying to steal loans from each other, and as well as branches trying to steal loans from other branches. Their COVID response was disappointing, too. Very paternal and what management said was happening rarely matched what was actually happening in the NFCs/branches. When I asked my manager questions about COVID response, I was told not to complain and to be a team player. He also insinuated that if I really cared about safety, I'd be more focused on selling loans to our members. You'll have to fill out forms to fill out forms to fill out forms, and if any form is even partially incorrect, you get a lowered QA score and email to your manager reporting you. On more than one instance I had done everything I needed to, but because I didn't check off on a form that I had done those things, I received a lower QA score, which in turn affected my bonus.

BECU Response

July 6, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Our member consultants are critically important because of the member experiences you are personally creating. During these challenging times, we remain committed to proactively communicating with employees on a regular basis to share updates and guidance, and to address any questions you may have. Receiving employee feedback is an important tool to determine how we might improve, so we encourage you to reach out to your HR business partner and/or your district director(s) to share additional details about the feedback you’ve provided. As a not-for-profit financial cooperative, we care deeply about our members’ financial well-being and because of that, we also work to deepen our relationships with them to offer the right products and services that best fit their needs. This is driven in part by one of our core values, “Members First.” We thank you again for sharing your thoughts and for your continued service to our members.

5. "BECU Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything you hear about a caring culture is true. All of my peers and bosses are very supportive and truly care about me as a person.

Cons

Lack of opportunities to move up.

"Okay"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at BECU full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is a plus

Cons

Cold calling a lot of people

Continue reading

"Great Benefits with Low Pay and Maximum Stress Levels"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I worked at BECU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits at BECU were truly fantastic while I was with BECU. HSA, FSA, Transit, Dental, Vision, Health for 4 people, tuition assistance was limited, but, nice. Kind and compassionate coworkers were always helpful when you needed them.

Cons

Upper Management does not listen to their employees, everyone is always stressed, I never met anyone who was not under massive pressure from above. Front facing individuals are grilled for small mistakes, while, some leaders who drive the company into the ground are promoted and praised. Professional development is limited and promotions are extremely rare. I saw almost 20-30 people go through my department most quitting or being fired. Leadership was hired exclusively externally rather than performing internal promotions or leadership training. Leaders are typically racist and only hire friends and white people or individuals from larger banks. This takes away from the community focus of the Credit Union, the reason for my joining. Pay is extremely low for how much workload you may have, depending on the department, you may be asked to work overtime every day. I remember one manager I worked with occasionally was making less than $80,000 per year, but, worked almost 70 to 80 hours per week. This means they were making about $20 per hour, probably much less than most of their employees.

8. "Great organization!"

Former Employee - Member Consultant in Burien, WA

I worked at BECU part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, work was always busy, great management and benefits.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

9. "Good overall"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at BECU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome coworkers and attainable sales goals

Cons

not a lot of room for advancement NPS surveys

10. "Solid"

4.0
    Current Employee - Member Consultant in Everett, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, core values, benefits, people.

Cons

Pay could be better.

Found 247 reviews