BECU Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
BECU CEO Benson Porter
Benson Porter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work life balance is amazing (in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits, including a pension and generous PTO (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • some team members get great work life balance while the rest of us do the work for them (in 7 reviews)

• The front line soldier are not treated to a decent check (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Member focused and growing!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BECU (More than 3 years)

Pros

How can you not want to work for an organization that saved its members $169,000,000 last year? BECU is growing and there are lots of opportunities at all levels of the organization. BECU offers great benefits, and the opportunity to give back to your community through volunteering and get paid for it.

Cons

The growth means things are moving quickly--lots of challenges to take on. If you're looking for a stodgy environment that doesn't change, this isn't it!

2. "Fantastic Place to Work!!"

I have been working at BECU full-time

Pros

Lots of recognition/incentive(if you earn it of course), you don't feel like just a small cog the district manager knows your story and where you want to go, does not preach at all assumptive based selling

Cons

Many different systems to work through so training can be a bit overwhelming (but thorough)

Advice to Management

Love all the recognition and new innovations to keep on par or better with competition

3. "BECU is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not-for-profit and member driven, meaningful organizational values, wonderful and mission-driven people, great benefits and career advancement opportunities, work/life balance and positive work environment.

Cons

We're working on updating out-dated systems and processes.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people and technology!

4. "Family of awesome people !"

Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The BECU culture is amazing! I feel like I really am making a difference everyday. I also am allowed and encouraged to take chances, fail and learn from my mistakes and also celebrate my successes. They definitely know how to treat their employees. The moral compass of this company perfectly aligns with my own. And, the benefits package is wonderful, too!

Cons

The attendance structure is hard to adhere to if you have normal life happen.
    It's hard to get hired on unless you know someone.

Advice to Management

Make a better path for your employees to be able to offer suggestions and ways to improve on processes and procedures.

5. "One of the best companies in the puget sound to work for!"

Current Employee - Member Consultant Lead in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Member Consultant Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room to advance in a growing organisation and a company that takes good care of its employees.

Cons

Fast growing organizations often have challenges balancing today's needs with tomorrow's and can sometimes miss the mark.

Advice to Management

Continue seeking feedback from all levels of the organization and loop us in and ensure you maintain competitive salaries in an area with increasingly high costs of living.

Jul 17, 2017 – HR Communications

Your comments are so appreciated and reinforce the culture we are working to create for our dedicated employees, like yourself. Finding the right balance between innovating for our growth and... More

6. "Member Consultant II"

Current Employee - Member Consultant II in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Member Consultant II in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at BECU part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful culture and work environment! Very supportive and encouraging atmosphere.

Cons

Easy lateral growth but difficult vertical growth. Most people in higher positions have been with the company for at least a decade, tough to grow vertically.

Jul 17, 2017 – HR Communications

Thank you for your service to BECU and positive comments on our culture, which you are helping to create! We also appreciate the feedback you shared on opportunities for growth. BECU sees our member... More

7. "great company to work for"

I worked at BECU full-time

Pros

enjoy helping people reach their financial goals

Cons

none that I can think of

"Rare company that balances personal life & quality work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits, including a pension and generous PTO
    - Work/life balance is real
    - People here live BECU's mission & values

Cons

- Some dutdated systems (minimal impact)
    - Very aggressive firewall blocks things like Spotify (phone is an easy workaround)
    - No paternity/spousal leave

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of your employees and members, as you have been. My only request is that you add paternity/spousal leave benefit.

"No work life balance; disparate work loads"

I have been working at BECU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*some coworkers really work hard and help when they can
    *some benefits are neat like the paid time off for volunteer work

Cons

*some team members get great work life balance while the rest of us do the work for them.
    *low pay, health insurance is not so good (3K deductible, doesn't cover some of my normal health care)
    *constantly frustrated. Can't get good experience in my own position because I am too busy picking up pieces for the team I am on

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your high performers. We are burning out with work load put on us because we are high performers. Either clean house and get those underperforming out or restructure and pay us for the additional workload.

May 24, 2017 – HR Communications

We appreciate your comments and service to BECU and our members. Employee feedback is an important tool for us to determine how we might improve and we encourage you to share feedback directly with... More

"It's refreshing to be happy about going to work"

Current Employee - Senior Compensation Analyst in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Compensation Analyst in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've felt welcomed right on my first day. I love the culture at BECU. Everybody works hard but they understand that health and family comes first when needed. I am able to work from home when needed, made doctor appointments, come in late b/c of my kids, etc and nobody makes me feel guilty about it. I love the Wellness programs that are offered and feel very fortunate to work for such a great company. I feel like my work is valued and appreciated.

Cons

Because BECU is a fast growing company, we have been going through growing pains. We do not have the most up to date technology and some work is very manual but it feels great to be part of almost a "start up" feel company where I can be involved with implementing new programs and applications that will make us better.

May 22, 2017 – HR Communications

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about working at BECU. Making employees feel welcome and empowered to make a difference is definitely what we strive for and is part of our culture. We appreciate... More