BGC Group Reviews | Glassdoor

BGC Group CEO Tristan Chew
Tristan Chew
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have joint BGC Group in early 2017" (in 7 reviews)

• "Nice office building in the middle of CBD" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons as everything went smoothly" (in 6 reviews)

• "Managers do not lead by example, but they are good at faulting members when not able to meet targets" (in 2 reviews)

1. "It was a good experience"

I have been working at BGC Group part-time

Pros

I would like to write a review for pava as she was so kind and patient with me and helped me find a job

Cons

So far there are no cons

2. "Zero work life balance"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

Pros

If you’re lucky you get to have good and caring colleagues and team leader.
    Good food for team bonding occasion

Cons

1. Zero work life balance
    2. Zero empathy for employees from manager. Had to attend a very last min urgent medical matter in the morning and could only step in to office 3hrs later than reporting time. Got reprimanded and doubt me about my commitment issues. When I’ve hit 95% of my target. It was also the last day I step into the office.
    3. Superb sales orientated and target driven company

"Management and company culture sucks"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at BGC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had a very nice leader who really tried to help
    Nice office building in the middle of CBD
    Lots of food options nearby

Cons

Lots of backstabbing
    Company culture only wants to see result despite it not a realistic target
    Long hours, very stressful
    Pay incentives are not realistically reachable

Advice to Management

Lots of new people always go in and out of the company, because the management doesn't know how to retain people of value when they choose to leave.

Doesn't know how to help people who put in effort and time to improve and upper management will only threaten to say ur position in the company is unstable because u can't deliver even though u tried all the options they told u to try even after asking them for suggestions and help.

The true tragedy is that the people who put in heart and effort are not being appreciated by the company, and are being reprimanded. Many choose to leave because of the heavy pressure and lack of empathy. Will be good if upper upper management look deep into their hearts and think about why turnover rate of the company is so high. So what if your company is listed when you are not treating your employees with empathy. Nowadays, pay is not as important as being heard and understood at work. Don't create an environment where people want to leave. (Don't think we don't know u talk bad about employees behind our back upper management)

"Great company for driven individuals"

Pros

I can think of multiple reasons why BGC Group is a great company but I will just list the main few I think benefits those looking to finding employment with us.
    1. Independence
    If you are looking for a place with a standard operating procedure on what to do and what to say, this is not for you. There was no guideline on specific steps needed to achieve successful results, every step taken towards my achievements were in my hands and I had full control over it. If there was any I wasn't clear about, my managers are always more then happy to help with my un-ending requests.
    PS: Sometimes it always better to ask for help rather than waiting for help to appear.

2. Openness
    The management has always been open to exploring new suggestion and ideas (regardless of how crazy it sounds) and have given me multiple opportunities to grow my expertise in different areas of interest and the independence to manage my own projects, seeing it from start to end.

3. It is okay to fail
    A company is a business and, at the end of the day, needs projects or employees to show productive results and it is the nature of every workplace. But BGC has given me a safe place to fail, learn/reflect on the mistakes of my failures and improve or better my future projects.

4. Awesome people!
    The comrades in a company are essential for every individual's growth. The team is constantly open to debates over our work to ensure the best outcomes. It gave me the opportunity to learn from other perspectives that I may have overlooked or not realised. Criticisms are given objectively as well, to help grow the team as a whole and accepting these criticisms objectively is what I learn from the BGC team.

Cons

Every company has their cons and BGC Group is no angel either.
    1. The management can be overly direct with their words which may not be for the faint of hearts.
    2. As an SME, career progression can be a challenge.
    3. Unfortunately, there isn't Study/ examination leave so it can be a slight challenge for those taking a part-time degree.

Advice to Management

As the company expands, mistakes in expansion steps and resistance among employees against essential changes are common. Communication on expansion plans and management of those resistant against change can be further improved.

5. "Bgc"

I worked at BGC Group full-time

Pros

Fun colleagues but most left

Cons

Poor leadership especially team leaders.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at BGC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their office has good views.
    Renovated nicely.

Cons

Peer pressure.

Colleagues gossiping and badmouthing about each other. Surprise to see even the guy manager is constantly gossiping/badmouthing the other colleagues with the ladies like a market auntie during office hours.

Agree with the previous comments, strong finger pointing culture.

They want to protray as having a “family” and “helpful” environment but often would get discriminated if you do not blend in to their bimbo himbo culture.

Advice to Management

Management have to look beyond the surface.

7. "Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at BGC Group full-time

Pros

Constantly change, too much change in too short of time

Cons

High turn over, unlawful termination

BGC Group Response

May 30, 2018 – Operations Executive

Hello there!

There's no doubt that change is a constant here at BGC - we need to continuously improve! As for the latter pointer, unlawful termination is a serious thing - so we had to check in... More

"Honest review (serious): Fun colleagues + food to celebrate every occasion"

I have been working at BGC Group full-time

Pros

Fun, vibrant, highly youth driven. You'd probably never find another recruitment agency with a culture like this in SG.

If you're somebody who is proactive and doesn't need constant hand-holding or pushing to go beyond your current work scope, this place has a lot to offer you in terms of career growth and developing your leadership potential (usually starting as mentors for the staffing side). If you don't like being micromanaged – try BGC.

Management is cautious (like any other) but they're open to hear you out - even interns can make a difference. You'd be given enough room for trial and error - as long as you show that you've thought things through. If you need guidance or support – all you need to do is ask for it and the team will sit and figure things out together.

The CEO doesn't care much for book smart people. What matters is showing and demonstrating that you care about growth. Daring to try is a huge thing.

People who like to dream big and spearhead projects will do very well here.

Teamwork is highly emphasised - it's an all for one and one for all thing. We're tending towards embracing our eastern values instead of a competitive western one.

FUN and lots of FOOD guaranteed. If you're not having fun at work within your team... maybe a more professional/ structured environment in an MNC would fit you better. BGC is more about being comfortable and casual. Sometimes work doesn't even feel like work because of the strong friendships you form here. Check out our #ILIVETO videos showcased on our facebook page for a better picture!
    Definitely can't rest on your laurels - change is a constant here. If you're looking for a cushy desk job with a fixed routine - don't bother applying. It's an overall very young environment and the people here are hired based on values and how keen they are to find purpose and personal growth.

If you're more of a solo contributor who prefers working in your own bubble and doesn't care much for teamwork… perhaps this place isn’t right for you.

Cons

Negative reviews seen here - are from a very different time that's before the reorganisation in the first quarter of 2017. In those times, highly driven sales individuals were paid really well - but this sometimes could be at the expense of teamwork and morale.

We can now confidently say that we are better aligned to the company's purpose, "Because We Care" - with a stronger sense of camaderie and less focus on cutthroat sales, insane targets dangled on your head, and more emphasis on finding candidates/clients the right fit, we do believe our candidates should be able to feel the difference when finding a job with us and other agencies. However, there will still be stress, because you have team targets to meet. Well, at least you aren’t alone.

Advice to Management

Communication is KEY. Keep it open, transparent and honest as always.

TBH, our male management could be softer with their words/ tact, but we really don't think they mean any harm.

Females (and maybe even males) who are more sensitive might take it the wrong way (this is coming from a female) – just needs time getting used to. Well at least that's what we learnt. Don't worry though - the boss is well aware of his shortcomings and is constantly trying to improve as part of continuous growth.

"Bad experience"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at BGC Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to experience the worst in your career, so in the future you are able to handle any challenge in your future career.

Cons

Biased management with no clear direction. Bad company culture, a lot of peer pressure and discrimination. Management goes back on their words. Management does not trust employees and does not listen to feedback.

Advice to Management

No point giving advice, since management does not listen.

10. "Job Opportunities"

Current Employee - Retail Consultant in Geylang, Central (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Retail Consultant in Geylang, Central (Singapore)

I have been working at BGC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and helpful staff.

Cons

Slow in reply mails to the candidates