BGC Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
BGC Group CEO Tristan Chew
Tristan Chew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have joint BGC Group in early 2017" (in 7 reviews)

• "Nice office layout but comes with huge renting cost which indirectly causing a cost an unnecessary "burden" to money generator" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Managers do not lead by example, but they are good at faulting members when not able to meet targets" (in 2 reviews)

• "There's actually no cons as all for my experience getting help from BGC Group in getting my future job" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great company for driven individuals"

Pros

I can think of multiple reasons why BGC Group is a great company but I will just list the main few I think benefits those looking to finding employment with us.
    1. Independence
    If you are looking for a place with a standard operating procedure on what to do and what to say, this is not for you. There was no guideline on specific steps needed to achieve successful results, every step taken towards my achievements were in my hands and I had full control over it. If there was any I wasn't clear about, my managers are always more then happy to help with my un-ending requests.
    PS: Sometimes it always better to ask for help rather than waiting for help to appear.

2. Openness
    The management has always been open to exploring new suggestion and ideas (regardless of how crazy it sounds) and have given me multiple opportunities to grow my expertise in different areas of interest and the independence to manage my own projects, seeing it from start to end.

3. It is okay to fail
    A company is a business and, at the end of the day, needs projects or employees to show productive results and it is the nature of every workplace. But BGC has given me a safe place to fail, learn/reflect on the mistakes of my failures and improve or better my future projects.

4. Awesome people!
    The comrades in a company are essential for every individual's growth. The team is constantly open to debates over our work to ensure the best outcomes. It gave me the opportunity to learn from other perspectives that I may have overlooked or not realised. Criticisms are given objectively as well, to help grow the team as a whole and accepting these criticisms objectively is what I learn from the BGC team.

Cons

Every company has their cons and BGC Group is no angel either.
    1. The management can be overly direct with their words which may not be for the faint of hearts.
    2. As an SME, career progression can be a challenge.
    3. Unfortunately, there isn't Study/ examination leave so it can be a slight challenge for those taking a part-time degree.

Advice to Management

As the company expands, mistakes in expansion steps and resistance among employees against essential changes are common. Communication on expansion plans and management of those resistant against change can be further improved.

2. "Bgc"

I worked at BGC Group full-time

Pros

Fun colleagues but most left

Cons

Poor leadership especially team leaders.

3. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at BGC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their office has good views.
    Renovated nicely.

Cons

Peer pressure.

Colleagues gossiping and badmouthing about each other. Surprise to see even the guy manager is constantly gossiping/badmouthing the other colleagues with the ladies like a market auntie during office hours.

Agree with the previous comments, strong finger pointing culture.

They want to protray as having a “family” and “helpful” environment but often would get discriminated if you do not blend in to their bimbo himbo culture.

Advice to Management

Management have to look beyond the surface.

4. "Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at BGC Group full-time

Pros

Constantly change, too much change in too short of time

Cons

High turn over, unlawful termination

BGC Group Response

May 30, 2018 – Operations Executive

Hello there!

There's no doubt that change is a constant here at BGC - we need to continuously improve! As for the latter pointer, unlawful termination is a serious thing - so we had to check in... More

"Honest review (serious): Fun colleagues + food to celebrate every occasion"

I have been working at BGC Group full-time

Pros

Fun, vibrant, highly youth driven. You'd probably never find another recruitment agency with a culture like this in SG.

If you're somebody who is proactive and doesn't need constant hand-holding or pushing to go beyond your current work scope, this place has a lot to offer you in terms of career growth and developing your leadership potential (usually starting as mentors for the staffing side). If you don't like being micromanaged – try BGC.

Management is cautious (like any other) but they're open to hear you out - even interns can make a difference. You'd be given enough room for trial and error - as long as you show that you've thought things through. If you need guidance or support – all you need to do is ask for it and the team will sit and figure things out together.

The CEO doesn't care much for book smart people. What matters is showing and demonstrating that you care about growth. Daring to try is a huge thing.

People who like to dream big and spearhead projects will do very well here.

Teamwork is highly emphasised - it's an all for one and one for all thing. We're tending towards embracing our eastern values instead of a competitive western one.

FUN and lots of FOOD guaranteed. If you're not having fun at work within your team... maybe a more professional/ structured environment in an MNC would fit you better. BGC is more about being comfortable and casual. Sometimes work doesn't even feel like work because of the strong friendships you form here. Check out our #ILIVETO videos showcased on our facebook page for a better picture!
    Definitely can't rest on your laurels - change is a constant here. If you're looking for a cushy desk job with a fixed routine - don't bother applying. It's an overall very young environment and the people here are hired based on values and how keen they are to find purpose and personal growth.

If you're more of a solo contributor who prefers working in your own bubble and doesn't care much for teamwork… perhaps this place isn’t right for you.

Cons

Negative reviews seen here - are from a very different time that's before the reorganisation in the first quarter of 2017. In those times, highly driven sales individuals were paid really well - but this sometimes could be at the expense of teamwork and morale.

We can now confidently say that we are better aligned to the company's purpose, "Because We Care" - with a stronger sense of camaderie and less focus on cutthroat sales, insane targets dangled on your head, and more emphasis on finding candidates/clients the right fit, we do believe our candidates should be able to feel the difference when finding a job with us and other agencies. However, there will still be stress, because you have team targets to meet. Well, at least you aren’t alone.

Advice to Management

Communication is KEY. Keep it open, transparent and honest as always.

TBH, our male management could be softer with their words/ tact, but we really don't think they mean any harm.

Females (and maybe even males) who are more sensitive might take it the wrong way (this is coming from a female) – just needs time getting used to. Well at least that's what we learnt. Don't worry though - the boss is well aware of his shortcomings and is constantly trying to improve as part of continuous growth.

"Bad experience"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at BGC Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to experience the worst in your career, so in the future you are able to handle any challenge in your future career.

Cons

Biased management with no clear direction. Bad company culture, a lot of peer pressure and discrimination. Management goes back on their words. Management does not trust employees and does not listen to feedback.

Advice to Management

No point giving advice, since management does not listen.

7. "Job Opportunities"

Current Employee - Retail Consultant in MacPherson (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Retail Consultant in MacPherson (Singapore)

I have been working at BGC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and helpful staff.

Cons

Slow in reply mails to the candidates

8. "Consultant"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at BGC Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very different culture from other recruitment companies where everyone is vying for candidates. Here, I enjoy the team work and brainstorming with team mates. It's truly a much enjoyable working environment and I don't have to drag myself out from bed to work!

Cons

Provide different selection of fruits rather than red apples only

Advice to Management

I understand that your job is not easy and you are Helping Us By Making Us Think than giving us solution

9. "A Workplace in the Wonderland"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at BGC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have joint BGC Group in early 2017. This workplace is full of love and care from senior/managers as well as from your collegues. They give me their trust and confidence with their heart on completing assigned tasks. Here you will find lots of opportunities to develop not only your working skills but also your personality making you into a 360 talent and a better person. So far, I enjoyed pretty much working with my manager and my team. Besides, their management is also transparent enough which provide every staff a clear direction on the short/long-term development plan making sure every one of us to have the same direction and goals with the company.

Cons

This company is too good for lazy and bad people. If you are looking only for a "job" and get paid every month for nothing, this company might not suit you.

Advice to Management

I wish we could develop and improve together. Don't let us down.

10. "A Valuable Company"

I have been working at BGC Group full-time

Pros

Pros: They offer lots of opportunities. I feel love and cares from them. The company culture is young & energetic and it emphasize a lot in team bonding. Teammates and managers are helpful and friendly without any workplace politics issues. If you want to develop yourself into a 360 person, BGC will be your dream place to work in.

Cons

I love BGC gorup.