BISSELL Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark J. Bissell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Love it here"

I have been working at BISSELL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't hate getting up in the morning anymore. I've been with the company about 2 years, and, after a variety of job and boss experiences in prior positions, I finally have what I hope is a long-term fit.

The company is growing, so there are a lot of new people coming in and a lot of opportunities. One of the most common questions when hiring new people is whether they fit the culture. The team here is passionate about their work and want to do it well and do right by our customers, but they aren't competitive jerks. Everyone works together to figure it out. If you see a problem you're generally empowered to fix it.

We have a dog-friendly workplace, and it's always a good stress reliever to pet a furry friend. We also have a group for women that the company supports through internal and external partnerships, access to outside training programs, and tuition reimbursement programs for continued growth.

The company genuinely cares about its employees. That's really hard to find these days.

Cons

The company is having some growing pains. It takes time to hire, so in the meantime people feel overworked and like they need to put in time on evenings and weekends, but this isn't the norm. You can tell the company is trying to fix it.

It isn't a Fortune 500 company, so it isn't going to offer the same pay but you don't have to put up with all of the bureaucracy or callousness, either. Totally worth the trade. And the benefits are great for a company of its size.

Advice to Management

There is some room to clarify which management processes could be streamlined. The company is small enough to be nimble, but sometimes gets hung up on being TOO inclusive in decision-making / process changes (which is generally a good thing, so don't over-correct).

Jul 2, 2018

Thanks for your feedback!

2. "Great Company"

I have been working at BISSELL full-time

Pros

Strong Family Leadership, Challenging Growth experiences, Great People, Pet friendly workplace, Cafeteria is amazing.

Cons

Still a conservative management team, need to loosen up the reigns on dress code, flex work strategy, etc. Current company growth & hiring needs will help with this transition.

"Good company that gives good employee experience - still work to do"

I have been working at BISSELL (Less than a year)

Pros

Summer hours are the best. Wish it was year round. Work 7:30-5 Monday through Thursday and get out at 12:30 Fridays. Casual dress during the summer, jeans on Friday during the other months. Also love that you get to bring your dog to work, not many places get to do that. People are nice.

Cons

Cafeteria food is terrible. Impossible to work from home - it's frowned upon. Strict 8-5 schedule during business hours - it's frowned upon to leave a little early even if you have your stuff done for the day. Brand still has a lot of work to do - nowhere near Shark or Dyson level of recognition. Office space is outdated, even as they are doing construction. Need more natural light and places to sit. Compensation is terrible, especially if you're just starting out. Don't get paid enough for the expectations of the job.

Advice to Management

Have the CEO and it's staff instill more trust in their employees. Pay your employees better or don't expect so much of them.

4. "Sales Intern"

Current Employee - Internship in Walker, MI
    Current Employee - Internship in Walker, MI

I have been working at BISSELL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a great environment with great people!

Cons

I haven't found any, and I don't expect to!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Jul 2, 2018

Glad to hear you're enjoying your intern experience. Thanks for the review!

5. "Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at BISSELL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership is caring, company growth, progressive atmosphere, leaning in to digital initiatives, always putting the consumer first. Benefits are fantastic.

Cons

Construction ongoing to improve the tight spaces - not really a con but best I can think of at the moment

Advice to Management

Keep progressing the culture in a way that embraces change and challenges the status quo! Consider flexible working arrangements during construction.

Jun 22, 2018

Thank you! We really appreciate the feedback!

6. "7 months after"

I have been working at BISSELL full-time

Pros

Some benefits that I enjoy or look forward to taking advantage of are health club subsidizing, tuition reimbursement and flex scheduling.
    There's also a company wide hour change between memorial day and labor day where everyone works longer Monday-Thursday but on Friday we're out and enjoying the weekend by 1230.

Cons

Being a smaller department, career advancements down the road might be a bit more difficult to come by.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work with continuously improving the company.

7. "Bissell chem pack employee"

I have been working at BISSELL full-time

Pros

Great co workers. Understanding management . Business is growing!

Cons

The chem-pack department dose not get treated as well as everyone else. No summer hours for chempack. Instead you work 6-7 days and get no summer! Chempack did not get to go to the company softball games either. It’s like we don’t even exists back here...

Advice to Management

If chem pack has to work 6-7 days a week and is the heart & soul of Bissell shouldn’t everyone have to help out on those days? Can’t keep any set ups because they work them like dogs. How about making he set up position more desirable? Then maybe everyone would not quit.. we been short handed for MONTHS!

Jun 18, 2018

Thanks so much for your review and your honest comments. Business is growing, and as a result, we have not been able to keep up with demand, therefore, it is causing some overtime work for many... More

8. "Employee-focused organization"

I have been working at BISSELL full-time

Pros

Excellent support from management.
    Positive and empowering work environment.
    Strong team work ethic.

Cons

Technology is a little behind customer expectations.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting and recognizing employee contributions.
    Focus on moving the company forward digitally to match the speed of today's business.

May 21, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

9. "5 Stars and 2 Thumbs Up, BISSELL!!"

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at BISSELL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people, the culture, the challenging and engaging work, the respect from coworkers, the cafeteria, and the team atmosphere - just to name a few.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about working at BISSELL.

May 1, 2018

Awesome! We love to hear from happy Associates. Thanks for helping to make BISSELL a great place to work!

10. "Administrative"

I worked at BISSELL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment with great opportunities.

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind.

Apr 13, 2018

Thanks for leaving a review about what it's like to work at BISSELL!