Bader Rutter Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Going Places"

Current Employee - Group Leader in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Bader Rutter full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A company on the cusp of great things. Lots of smart, energetic people eager to make a difference. BR is in a cultural transformation from an old guard, steady marketing business to one that is focused on the new, the relevant and the disruptive

Cons

Old habits are hard to break and transformation comes slowly. That said, it is happening by smart moves and not hap hazard.

Advice to Management

Embrace change and make the most of the move to downtown - the cultural dynamic will be dramatic, so don't freak - harness it.

Sep 1, 2016 – President

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback and for your dedicated service to Bader Rutter. We completely agree that our move downtown offers immense opportunities for change and we look... More

"Don't recommend working here"

Former Employee - Account Assistant in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Account Assistant in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Bader Rutter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good benefits
    - Fun parties

Cons

I would not recommend working for Bader Rutter, especially as an Account Assistant. As a young professional I want to learn and grow in my first position out of college and that's the exact opposite of what I got at Bader Rutter. People treated me with little respect on a daily basis and I learned more in my college internships. I was truly miserable at Bader Rutter and have never been more glad to leave a position. If you look at my review for my current job, you'll find a much more positive review.

Advice to Management

No matter what position you have or how long you've been working at Bader Rutter, everyone should be treated equally.

Apr 25, 2017 – President

The account assistant position at our company is an entry-level role that has grown a number of Bader Rutter careers. A majority move up within our organization and many that started as account... More

"Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Brookfield, WI

Pros

Upper management seems to care and they are investing a lot in employee education.

Cons

Very cliquey - if you're not on the "a-list" you'll be hard pressed to move up in the company.

"The good, the bad, and the ugly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Bader Rutter full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers were smart, funny and great to work.

Cons

My perception is that management made some bad decisions, which financially got them in over their heads and seasoned, smart employees paid the price.

Advice to Management

Value the knowledge base of tenured employees. If the perception is that you care more about catering to the younger employees, that will translate to unhappy tenured employees who go somewhere where they are valued. Also determine when it's time to let an employee go. A few folks have been shuffled from one job to another, when it's determined they can't do the job they were hired for, yet for some reason they are dubbed "rock stars" and kept on the payroll.

"Good people, good clients"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive, Public Relations in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive, Public Relations in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Bader Rutter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, great clients, lots of creativity. There's room to come in, make an impact and really take your career to the next level.

Cons

Work/life balance and receptiveness to alternate work arrangements could have been better. I think they're moving in that direction, but slowly.

Advice to Management

Continue moving toward acceptance of alternative work arrangements and lose the last of the old boys club mentality.

"Good agency to start at, not one to stay at"

Former Employee - Production Artist/Designer in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Production Artist/Designer in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Bader Rutter full-time

Pros

Outside of management I really enjoyed the people I worked with daily. Work-life balance for the most part was fairly decent, but they will take advantage of the people they see as hard-workers. Pay was below any salary websites average for most positions. They do offer opportunities to get to know people at the agency; provide funding for agency sports, happy hours, etc. If you relocate for a job with BR there are several opportunities to get to know your coworkers.

Cons

I took a job at Bader Rutter and Associates early on in my career, and at first it was a great experience, however after I had been there a few years I realized how limited I would be in advancement opportunities, and/or a decent pay increase. I made it known at my interview that I wanted my career to eventually focus on design and eventually be an art director. They took advantage of my skills and talents and gave me opportunities here and there but never changed my title. Instead of promoting from within, they time and time again went outside the company to hire for more advanced positions. I voiced my feelings to my boss during my annual review and a few times here and there throughout the years yet my boss still seemed shocked when I gave him my 2 weeks notice. Only then were they willing to increase my salary substantially.

Agency boasts about not doing layoffs, and for most of the company's history that was true, however recently (July 2014) they laid off 12-15 people. Be aware if there is a big surge in hiring come January 2015. I would wait and let the company recover before considering accepting a job, especially if you are considering relocating.

Advice to Management

Notice the hardworking employee's and reward them, or the will leave. Instead of promoting that you encourage training and bettering your skill set, and actually do something about it!!

"Great organization and smart, creative people."

Former Employee - Digital Producer in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Digital Producer in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Bader Rutter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and fun, energetic group of people. Very talented team leads and an environment of trust and respect.

Cons

Resources and process, like any other agency

"Fun loving atmosphere with great coworkers!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Bader Rutter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fun loving teams who are always willing to help out
    -Management genuinely cares about each and every employee and knows all 250+ associates by name
    -Constantly looking for improvements to make processes more efficient for everyone
    -14 departments which allows for movement among the marketing/creative field
    -Quickly growing and constantly looking for new clients to expand the company

Cons

-Working in Brookfield is a downside- an Ad Agency should be in a flashy city so clients are more inclined to want to work with you

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work because my time at BR has been amazing and I can't wait to see where my career goes with everyone of you!

"Great people, great culture, a highly respected agency in the Milwaukee area."

Former Employee - Art Director in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Art Director in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Bader Rutter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most everyone at BR is very nice and enjoyable to work with. Their executive team is very approachable and driven for success. They're a very profitable company and they pay their employees pretty well.

Cons

For me, there was very limited growth opportunities, so I left to progress my career. That's not true of all departments, however.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and keep pushing to become a modern agency.

"Good if you have a good team"

I worked at Bader Rutter full-time

Pros

I was on a great team at BR, but because my clients budget's couldn't reflect me getting a promotion I left. I did learn a lot and my team was incredible. They gave me opportunities to succeed and learn way beyond other teams. A great place to work. Amazing people!

Cons

They allude to moving up in a year but I had to push to get a little traction to move. Some admins just had openings clear up and got to move, it is all about timing.

Advice to Management

Look to young talent before they leave and reach out with other opportunities.

Oct 29, 2015 – CEO

Hi – It sounds like you were on a great team here; one that helped you gain new skills, encouraged learning from one another and pushed each other to take on new opportunities. I’m always pleased to... More