Berlin Packaging Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Berlin Packaging President and CEO Andrew T. Berlin
Andrew T. Berlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company in a very Competitive Industry"

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Berlin Packaging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Best company I have worked. Berlin Packaging prepares you quickly to be successful in the company, and in your job. Berlin Packaging gives you all the tools you need, and then cuts you loose. If you're successful, then they are successful. They have the same mentality as Steve Jobs did at Apple: "It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and then tell them what do do, we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do."

Cons

Everything has been a positive experience.

Aug 24, 2017 – Human Resources Business Partner

Humbled by your feedback. And inspired to keep doing what's working at Berlin Packaging - hiring the best people based on their traits and attributes so they have the opportunity to do what they do... More

"Shipping"

Former Employee - Shipping in Clinton, PA
    Former Employee - Shipping in Clinton, PA

I worked at Berlin Packaging full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job
    Too for growth within company
    Upper management is always involved and willing to help
    Cross training

Cons

A lot of gossip
    Everyone talks behind everyone's back
    A lot of work gets passed on temp hires
    Supervisors always lie, never know what to believe

Advice to Management

Get better supervisors in certain departments. It's hard to keep yo yourself everyone involved you in all the gossip. Need to focus more on work related issues then what he said about her and vice versa. Don't preach the values of Berlin, then do exactly the opposite. Once hired on there are excellent benefits but they won't let you make it that far.

3. "Fast pace and challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Berlin Packaging full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard work and dedication are recognized and rewarded. This is a fast growing company with plenty of opportunity to advance.

Cons

Typical high stress - nature of the beast for a high growth company

Advice to Management

none - they're smart. they get it. on a personal note - i really like my boss and my team mates

Aug 24, 2017 – Human Resources Business Partner

Sincerely appreciate the time you took to write a review regarding your experience over the past 5+ years! Thrilled to hear we are living up to our responsibilities on our Berlin Values T-Chart and... More

4. "Great support from HQ"

Former Employee - DCOM in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - DCOM in Independence, OH

I worked at Berlin Packaging full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CEO is top notch, very engaged in business. Training is very helpful at higher levels. Support teams at HQ are great.

Cons

Acquisitions are not always the best! Be quick to turn over cancers. More follow up needed in performance of poorly performing teams.

Advice to Management

Drill down to find deficiencies

Aug 16, 2017 – Human Resources Business Partner

We value your feedback regarding our CEO/Corporate team and as such, will continue to focus our efforts on supporting our colleagues at all of our branches so they can be at their best. Which... More

"Terrible Management in Houston"

Pros

Decent salary and benefits. 401k options are average. They have a great CEO but lacks innovation to take the company to the next level.

Cons

Houston is the least performing office in their company. It's managed by individuals that do not have the skills to right the ship. It's only going to get worse. Do not waste your time at this company....there is little room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Focus on improving the bottom line and own up to the mistakes that led to the current prediciment.

Sep 13, 2017 – Human Resources Business Partner

Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback. We take your comments seriously and are taking appropriate action to better support our colleagues/leaders at that location specifically.

Your... More

6. "Fast-paced company with vibrant culture & colleagues"

I have been working at Berlin Packaging full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced company focusing on customer and employee experience, so if you aren't someone who can handle juggling multiple priorities, colleagues who work quickly and expect great work from one another - then this place might not be for you.

The company culture is great overall and at my particular location. The company culture and values are set from the top down with a great CEO in Andrew, but I've seen the culture be different (in mostly good ways) at various branch locations. Still something to focus on at particular locations and overall to make sure it's a fun and productive place to work.

Comp and benefits are better than what I've experienced at other companies. All employees at all levels are eligible for great incentive/bonus plans that reward hard work and goal achievement.

Cons

Fast paced company sometimes hasn't allowed for us to develop and roll out more structure for training and development. Overall, the pace and passion is great -- but in this area, leadership and Corporate have to focus on this to attract and retain/promote talent.

There have been challenges fully integrating and understanding acquired business/business units.

No real maternity/paternity benefits (paid) or flex time arrangements. Need to evolve and add 'modern' benefits and work schedule to attract and retain talent. 401k match and program could improve, too.

Advice to Management

Changes to senior leadership will help foster new ideas and initiatives to only make Berlin better.

Keep focusing on culture and making the workplace fun, rewarding and challenging.

Provide more management/leadership training along with more training/development for all levels of the organization.

Keep hiring great people!

Aug 16, 2017 – Human Resources Business Partner

Thrilled that you took the time to share your experience and feedback!! Your advice is spot on and with new Executive Leadership specifically in HR, we will have renewed focus and expertise to drive... More

"Good Company - Terrible Management in Houston"

I have been working at Berlin Packaging full-time

Pros

Good Pay. CEO Andrew Berlin is smart, approachable, and fun!

Cons

Corporate tries to create a favorable culture, however, Houston is the ugly step-child of the company. I don't know who hired the managers there but they were way off the mark. I feel like I'm back in High School with cliques sometimes with how the management creates an 'Us against them' environment. The managers doors are closed way more than they are open. There is no flexibility, I feel like I'm constantly being judged, and there is 0 camaraderie.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to wake up and see how bad it really is there.

Aug 2, 2017 – Human Resources Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us. We're proud to know that you enjoy our company culture and dynamic leadership -- while knowing that we take your specific concerns very... More

8. "Love Being Part of A Motivated, Talented Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Berlin Packaging full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The first company I've worked for where there are no weak links. Everyone more than pulls their weight and strives for success. A genuine sense of team, people genuinely like and respect each other. Compensation and benefits are great. Seems like there are plenty of opportunities for advancement. Excellent senior leadership.

Cons

Long hours. A little too quiet in the corporate office.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Hiring for traits and attributes, not necessarily the person with the most experience is working!

May 31, 2017 – Human Resources Business Partner

Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback! We will continue to hire for traits and attributes as we bring talented, new Berliners into the company with our continued growth.

9. "Great Company & Opportunity for Growth"

Current Employee - Buyer
    Current Employee - Buyer

I have been working at Berlin Packaging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

•Fast-paced
    •Able to make many decisions that you wouldn't be able to at other corporate companies.
    •Knowledge Gained
    •Exposure to Industry
    •Incentive Programs
    •Benefits
    •Family atmosphere
    •Flexible

Cons

The workload can be overwhelming at times. Putting more people in place to be able to better handle the position would be beneficial.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer growth opportunities and incentives. Many of us work very hard because we not only want to further our career paths with Berlin, but also because we are very passionate of our jobs.
    Take notice. We go above and beyond because we care.

10. "Don't come to work here"

I have been working at Berlin Packaging full-time

Pros

They pay higher than market for most positions and there's lots of little perks The overall culture is one of team-work, learning, and the CEO cares about the employees.

Cons

No career growth. Literally, none. Come work here and you will be in the same position until you quit or die, whichever comes first. There has been an unusual amount of turnover in the past 18 months, the above being the precise reason why. The hiring strategy is to recruit the best and the brightest, but those people get nothing in return. No one wants to stick around for a dead-end job, no matter how great the company.

Advice to Management

You will continue to lose hard-working employees that are assets to the company if you continue to not promote from within.

May 1, 2017 – Human Resources Business Partner

We completely agree that we can always continue to promote from within even more -- over the last three years, we have promoted/transferred over 60 Berliners into new roles. But, we hear you loud and... More