Berlin Packaging Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Berlin Packaging President and CEO Andrew T. Berlin
Andrew T. Berlin

1. "Good experience but work/life balance must be demanded."

Current Employee - Operations in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Berlin Packaging full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a company to be proud of and the culture is positive. They reward employees that do a good job and acknowledge hard work.

Cons

Atmosphere in some business units could use improvement and more corporate involvement. The monkeys run the circus from time to time.

Advice to Management

Continue to appreciate your employees as you do and work hard to provide them more opportunities for a solid work/life balance.

2. "Account Coordinator"

I worked at Berlin Packaging full-time

Pros

Good sense of comradery- Great warehousing/logistics experience.

Cons

Still a relatively small company- not very many set measures or processes.

"Great company, but very boring"

Current Employee - Corporate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Berlin Packaging full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. The people are generally friendly. The CEO (Andrew Berlin) is actually a nice guy, and I really enjoy seeing him.

Cons

Absolutely nobody talks in the corporate office. You literally could hear a pin drop sometimes around here. There's no team building between departments or even within departments. I talked to some people who said they sat next to someone 3 years and they never spoke. I really wish Berlin would focus on making it 'fun' to come into work instead of just doing 8 hours as a corporate zombie then leaving for home just to do it all over again the next day. There's just no drive here or excitement...just just a boring cubicle job.

Advice to Management

Please work on making this place more exciting to work. I hate that I don't know almost anyone outside my own department and everyone is just complacent here. It's incredibly boring to work at Berlin, and it's overall such a great company.

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Berlin Packaging (More than 5 years)

Pros

Berlin Packaging offers competitive wages, opportunity for advancement, and a flexible work schedule. Employees are compensated for their hard work and dedication with on-the-spot rewards, quarterly bonuses, and recognition/awards from Senior Management.

Cons

On a local branch level, the Sales and Operations team are treated as two, separate entities as opposed to one, cohesive unit.

Dec 14, 2016 – Human Resources Business Partner

Wow - with your tenure at Berlin Packaging, thank you for taking the time to share your insights and assessment of the company! Your point about a cohesive Sales and Ops team is a valid one and we ... More

"Ok place to work"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Berlin Packaging full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very successful company who has a clear business plan for continued success in the industry.

Cons

Penny pinchers who don't value their employees as they should

Advice to Management

Value your lower level employees more.

Dec 6, 2016 – Human Resources Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your employment experience with Berlin Packaging. We are glad to know that you valued and believed in our business plan for continued ... More

"Great company as a whole"

I have been working at Berlin Packaging full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits and continually striving to grow and make Berlin a great place to work

Cons

Local level has management but no leadership

Advice to Management

You can't keep bringing up minor issues that happened over 10 years ago as a reason to not promote or give a raise. And you need to address issues that are a source of problems within the branch instead of choosing to ignore and hope they go away. There are major moral issues due to lack of leadership.

Nov 18, 2016 – Human Resources Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, especially knowing you've worked at Berlin for 10+ years!! Taking your specific feedback into consideration - in the last year we've invested ... More

8. "Decent Job if you like big-company Corporate America"

Former Employee - Packaging Consultant in Levittown, PA
    Former Employee - Packaging Consultant in Levittown, PA

I worked at Berlin Packaging full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay, Not too many hours, good benefits, good local management

Cons

Senior Corporate management seems a bit too high on themselves, corporate ad campaigns are all fluff, customers can see right through the BS. They also set goals that can't be achieved or expect customer service team to do things they shouldn't.

Advice to Management

Be honest and humble about your performance for your customers, set goals that put mid and lower level people on the same page as upper management.

9. "Account Coordinator"

I worked at Berlin Packaging full-time

Pros

Great group of people to work with. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

The training needs improvement. They would be able to bring on/keep revenue if they're employees were trained better and they have more transparency with their customers.

Advice to Management

Good employees will stay if more effort is put in to setting the AC's up to win and retain business.

10. "Buyer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Berlin is a great company and culture. Really have the best interest of the employee and allows you to own your destiny.

Cons

Having enough "experts" to lean on the deeper end of the packaging arena. There is so much to learn and there was truly only one expert in the office who had little band width to spend with new members.

Advice to Management

While a small group, stay connected as a whole and work closely as a group. Sometimes the Sales, Buyers, Coordinators are not working as closely as they could be.

Oct 3, 2016 – Human Resources Business Partner

We appreciate you sharing your experience while at Berlin Packaging! Your recommendations and insights will allow us to enhance the training and collaboration opportunities at each branch as we ... More

"This company is a disease"

I worked at Berlin Packaging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of working there was that it ended.

Cons

HR issues abounds! But HR doesn't want to hear about it. So instead you listen to the "leadership" team cuss, insult, and generally act unprofessional. If you're not kissing the shoes of Andrew Berlin, you'll go nowhere. He has basically hired a bunch of people that make him feel important, because he doesn't feel self-important enough. I literally would never work there again for ANY amount of money. Truly.

Values and ethics don't exist at this company. I wouldn't even suggest it as a stepping stone.

Advice to Management

Stop talking about yourself and talk about the goals, objectives, and vision of the company.