Best Friends Pet Care Reviews
25% would recommend to a friend
(186 total reviews)
18% approve of CEO
Found 186 of over 191 reviews
Updated Aug 23, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Some of the people I worked with were great, and I miss seeing them." (in 6 reviews)
- "Decent hours, coworkers are very friendly and helpful" (in 4 reviews)
- "paced, close interaction with animals of all types, opportunities to branch out responsibilities, a great intro to animal care & handling" (in 4 reviews)
- "Good Benefits" (in 4 reviews)
- "Great animals, great people, engaging work environment" (in 3 reviews)
- "Bad Management and Hypertension at work." (in 22 reviews)
- "Pay is low" (in 18 reviews)
- "The manager always overbooks for the inevitably understaffed holidays." (in 11 reviews)
- "In fact, upper management boldly lies to employees and keeps secrets often creating conflict within departments." (in 8 reviews)
- "Employees became like family." (in 5 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Best Friends Pet Care and is not affected by filters.
- 2.0Aug 23, 2023ManagerFormer Employee, less than 1 year
The kennel + grooming staff were amazing! Everyone worked very hard and it was obvious that their hard work and dedication came from their love for the pets and clients.
The list could be 100 pages long to be honest. Corporate is the most uninvolved, entitled, and careless corporate structure I’ve ever worked under. They do not care about their employees. They do not care about the health + maintenance of the facilities, and even when they do show a little bit of concern it’s about revenue only. They try to sell this idea of a healthy, friendly work environment. FALSE. You will absolutely be overworked and underpaid. They say they promote from within, again , FALSE. They also tend to hire people with no animal care experience and no team management experience to be in positions of authority. This causes for mass amounts of miscommunication and misunderstandings to be had within the staff itself. Management is TERRIBLE. Please don’t be fooled by the friendly voices you’ll hear in your interview. This company is money hungry and has no plans to allow for internal growth because Center Managers and Corporate higher-ups believe their job titles are extensively more important than the health of their company. The “little guys” don’t matter at BF. Please reconsider what you’re signing up for.
- 2.0Jun 21, 2023Animal Care AttendantFormer Employee, less than 1 yearHuntingdon Valley, PA
The animals were great You can bond with the regulars, forming relationships
Staffing issues Low pay Not up to code in terms of cleanliness Overworked/overburdened Zero training Management fails Staff favoritism/cliquey I was told no more than 30 dogs can be in a daycare group at one time without the addition of another person working. I would often be left alone with anywhere between 40-60! Same with kennel dog care, expected to do way to much for one person within standard time. A coworker of mine admitted to ‘cutting corners’ before in order to make those high expectations, and would leave the mess (literally) to the next worker (if there was one, there often wasn’t).
- 3.0Aug 9, 2023Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsBoxford, MA
The animals and clients are the best
Low pay Not flexible schedule as you work with live animals
- 5.0Feb 3, 2023Dog Camp CounselorCurrent Employee
Everything done at a center level is great. Great Co-workers and Management (and customers) that make requesting time off, even for the holidays, easy (A rarity is this business). Employees are trained well in order to keep themselves and the dogs safe. Work can be mentally taxing, but the frustration comes from the dogs instead of co-workers and is only on busy days. Other days, work is bliss. A great place to work for people who don't wish to interact with many people but still want minimal human interaction.
Things get rough wherever Corporate is involved. Limited hours make getting extra shifts difficult. Cheap funding means cheap equipment that is hard to use or breaks (often both) and gets replaced only when absolutely necessary. They capped my pay at $15.00/hr because I was a non-manager. (low pay for this time and place)
- 5.0Jun 30, 2023Assistant ManagerFormer Employee, more than 1 year
This job gives you a lot of building blocks for future careers with the added bonus of getting to work on behalf of animals!
Schedules can be inconsistent, and a lot of the team you work with is seasonal.
- 3.0May 9, 2023Lead Customer Service RepresentativeFormer Employee, more than 3 years
Working with animals daily Customer service experience Phone service experience Data entry experience
Last minute changes to polices left customers upset and confused at times. The treatment of the animals could be better with more workers and a bigger facility.
- 1.0Jan 27, 2023Pet GroomerFormer Employee, less than 1 yearLake Buena Vista, FL
1 star ONLY for Disney Benefits and Discounts Other then that nothing
was told I would be full time other employees told me not to come in on my scheduled days so i was cut to 2-3 days a week for not being liked enough other groomers would take dogs off the schedule so they dont have to work with you expect to deal with getting yelled at, cursed at, told your not good enough or you "do too much" - your personal property messed with / someone tried to steal right in front of your eyes. Managers do not do their job - everyone is over worked. they will not believe you even when you have multiple people backing you up. you don't get paid for some of the things you do
- 1.0Dec 6, 2022Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearKent, WA
- Office has pups to pet and play with (some peed in the office though) - Some friendly staff (until they are suddenly gone) - Have a holiday party (some employees couldn't show up) - Has potential to be so much more. -Office looks nice. -Friendly front desk staff - Friendly HR employees -Provided snacks - Office did do events for birthdays and resigning people - The dogs are the number one perk, as long as they behaved.
- Management seems to be over their heads. -Way to much turnover. Lost good and nice employees fast. - My boss quit several months in. New boss had no idea what they were doing, and was not qualified for the position. - PTO is a joke. There's a waiting period for using it, you have to use it on any national holiday (4th of July, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Labor day, Etc.) You could work any job that wasn't corporate and could get those free, or at least get paid double. - Salaried employees were treated different from hourly. - Internal teams did not get along. - Leadership played their own internal "Game of Thrones". - Pay was low for then, I'm not sure what is is now, but I'm positive much hasn't changed. - Salaried employees were expected to work later by some managers, even if they came in earlier than the manager. Don't go in thinking 40 hours is enough, even when the salary is a joke. -CEO was former owner, seemed like a touchy history. - Had two brands that they were branching out into, and seemed like it was a rocky start. - When things didn't work, it didn't get fixed. Lots of pointing between departments. Can easily get lost in the void of work drama. - Everything you are told in the interview is the opposite. - Get used to seeing people come and go. - My lunch was stolen a couple of times. - Few people in upper management left, took awhile for replacements, or not replaced at all. Was the worst experience of my career at the time. Definitely taught me a lot of what to look out for in the future.
- 1.0Jan 24, 2023Asistant ManagerFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsBoxford, MA
The animals, they are the only reason I stayed for so long.
Unclean work spaces animals are kept in dirty rooms rocks everywhere unsafe management rude and unsafe conditions
Best Friends Pet Care Reviews FAQs
Best Friends Pet Care has an overall rating of 2.7 out of 5, based on over 191 reviews left anonymously by employees. 25% of employees would recommend working at Best Friends Pet Care to a friend and 13% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 7% over the last 12 months.
25% of Best Friends Pet Care employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Best Friends Pet Care 2.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.3 for culture and values and 2.1 for career opportunities.