Best Friends Pet Care Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Shane Kelly

Pros
  • If you like working with animals then it (in 8 reviews)

• Got to meet a lot of dogs, got to play with dogs, got to learn about dogs and dog breeds, co-workers and clients shared my love of dogs and animals (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The low pay, but that's the industry (in 8 reviews)

• long hours, thankless work, working holidays and weekends (in 4 reviews)

1. "Simple work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

•You get to play with dogs all day, all different breeds and ages
    •Very flexible hours
    •Easy, simple tasks
    •Friendly staff, sometimes lunches like pizza or sandwiches were bought for everyone
    •Holiday bonus

Cons

•Some coworkers may take advantage of others (specifically newer workers)
    •No solid hours, one shift could be an hour or two, another shift maybe be 5 hours
    •No notice for work, they call or text you and expect you to come into work within 30 minutes of them contacting you
    •Can get very boring because there is hardly any socializing or even talking throughout the shift
    •It should be expected, but you will go home smelling like dog and covered in hair, mud/dirt, and possibly feces
    •Being bit or scratched is not uncommon

Advice to Management

Work on scheduling and be more flexible when you call in last minute

2. "Loved the dogs, but the fun wore off"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Cinnaminson, NJ
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Cinnaminson, NJ

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cons

Didn't do as much of the typical CSR duties as I did working in the back (partially a pro though since I loved the animals), had to take perfect pictures of the dogs which was virtually impossible, we were very understaffed

3. "Not a Good Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Best Friends Pet Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about what not to do, and the consequences of those actions.

Cons

Poor management. No management accountability. Way too many hours. Low pay for work done. Understaffed. Unprofessional.

5. "Disorganized and Poorly treated staff"

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care full-time

Pros

Employees really love the animals that come there. Friendly and always have a smile on their face. Get to play with dogs and cats all day, different breeds and ages. I have worked there for more then 2 years and was proud to go into work everyday. Loved the fast paced environment.

Cons

Understaffed, 1-2 people would work like 4. We work to live not live to work. Constant change in scheduling and hours. You might work 36 hours or could be working 12 hours a week. People who have worked there for years make barely more if not less then the new employees starting. The staff are even scared to go to the manager for problems or questions. Would go ballistic over the tiniest thing. Even to those who went to the manager never seen any results fixed when told a problem or concern. Very poor management.

Advice to Management

Staff should be able to go to the manager to get problems or concerns fixed and not be in fear. Pay your hard working staff better. Hours and scheduling need to be better for your full time staff. Hire people who have actual experience.

6. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arvada, CO

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dogs, good people, on the job training, fun environment
    working outside, ability to move up

Cons

long hours, thankless work, working holidays and weekends. As a manager it was tough to expect people to work hard for $8-10/hour and miss their families on holidays.
    They discriminate against pit-bulls, a breed I feel strongly about and advocate for. I still board my pets here, but dislike that they cannot stay together.

Advice to Management

understand people have lives, we work to live not live to work. HO moved to Seattle the year before I left. They lost a great team that wasn't willing to relocate for the convenience of the owners.

7. "Learned a lot . . . About how to not run a business"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being around animals, hard working staff

Cons

Working holidays (which I know is part of the job, but still sucks), VERY low pay, little engagement from senior management

Advice to Management

Be more engaged with your staff. Employees should not be scared to go to their manager with problems or questions, and shouldn't be fearful that their actions may result in retaliation. Care about your job. Too often, the manager here would ask her staff to do thing she wouldn't even do. Leaving early and coming in late, leaving other employees to work by themselves at times that she would NEVER work by herself, like our busiest times. And I don't mean late/early by thirty minutes, I mean long periods of time. Once she left 4.5 hours early. At one point, the manager actually LAID on the floor of our lobby while there were clients there. Further, she would dog sit pets in her home rather than charging owners to board at the facility, thus making her own money that would otherwise go to the company. There are very few advancement opportunities and the pay is a joke. One pets stay for a weekend could pay my salary for a few days, so I don't know where all the money is going. This facility makes well over a million dollars a year, yet the staff is paid less than some McDonald's workers. Pay out PTO. I have NEVER worked for a company that didn't pay out PTO earned, except this one. I get that you're trying to save a buck, but that's a very shady way to go about doing it, especially considering how little employees are paid anyways. Have your employees backs. I was once SCREAMED at by a client, including lots of profanities, for something that was not even my fault. Senior management's idea of "handling" the situation was telling ME to apologize, even though all of the clients present in the lobby at the time of the incident assured me I had done nothing wrong.

8. "Unprofessional Work Environment"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Best Friends Pet Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-You get to work with some nice people, however there is a severe lack of management and employees run rampant.
    -Get to work with animals and customers

Cons

-unprofessional work environment
    -low pay for a lot of work
    -lack of management
    -uncleanliness
    -disorganization

Advice to Management

-Management needs to start taking control of their business and having more of a leading role.

"Former Animal Care Manager"

Former Employee - Animal Care Manager in Sudbury, MA
    Former Employee - Animal Care Manager in Sudbury, MA

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started in 1998 and I can say its a good company to learn a lot of skills. In all the years I worked there, I quickly moved into a position I loved, caring for sometimes up to 190 pets at a time. Learned how to groom and learned some fantastic animal handling skills. I became so good at my job that the company made me a traveling manager so that I could go to other centers and train their acm's to be like me. We had the cleanest center in sudbury and I made sure the dogs were cared for the best that they could be.

Cons

That being said ↑ . This company is extremely hard to move up in. This company is very corporate and only cares about money. They fired me because I yelled at a girl and made her cry. In fear of being sued, and instead of looking at facts, I was immediately terminated after decades of dedication and hard work. I was angry because this 16 year old, with no animal experience, dragged a blind dog down a hallway. They hire anyone. Experience or not. They pay you next to nothing and work you like a horse. If you are a manager, you have to work hours off the clock every day to make sure the dogs are getting appropriate care because you have staff call out every other day. It isn't playing with puppies all day. Caring for so many little lives at once is hard back breaking work. Don't let this company use and abuse you like they did to me!

Advice to Management

Hire people with at least a little experience. At least that have owned a pet before. Pay more and listen to other managers in the building. Especially to your very dedicated ones like myself. That actually did a lot for the company. I went 6 years without a raise working 50+ hours a week and wasnt even given a warning. Just fired. You guys lost a good ACM right here. Feel bad for the blind dog though.

10. "Meh"

I have been working at Best Friends Pet Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with animals, friendly customers for the most part

Cons

Long hours, must work weekend and holidays, and any natural disaster

11. "Management"

Pros

I was fortunate to be able to work with senior management and staff at the head office. They are passionate about what they do. They are driven to be successful and have cultivated a positive work environment. They care about their employees and want them to be as successful as the company. They are constantly changing / improving themselves and their processes to meet the needs not only of the company, but also of the individual employee.

As they are growing there is always opportunity for good, strong, dedicated employees.

Cons

Struggling to keep up with the work! They need more good people who are passionate about the pet industry.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! You have developed a great working culture where everyone is treated fairly and there is opportunity at every corner. Culture is so important and the positive culture that you are promoting to your staff makes Best Friends a place that many will and do want to work within.