CFP Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Highly Professional and Ethical Company"

I worked at CFP full-time

Pros

Professional, Ethical, Committed, Honest, Transparent

Cons

Particular, Occasionally Rigid, workspaces should be less open/exposed.

Advice to Management

The staff on the whole is a driven team of perfectionists, but need some time to downshift and brainstorm without a lot of deadlines.

2. "Opportunity Growth"

I have been working at CFP full-time

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities at CFP Board to grow and "move up." They encourage their employees to not be complacent and strive to accomplish their professional as well as personal goals. They have a great benefits package and monthly all staff meetings which are catered and a great place to meet the other employees in different departments, They also hold an event once a year called Staff Appreciation Day. Last year they took the entire company to the Newseum. They are a non-profit company and also offer a Master's reimbursement.

Cons

Take advantage of younger staff and underpay them.

3. "Would not recommend based on what I know now"

I worked at CFP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will definitely learn what kind of organization you don't want to work for.

Cons

Overworked employees...to the point where it is now common knowledge among former employees that one employee was uncompensated for hundreds of hours worked. DoL needs to take a strong look at this place. Meetings are long and boring and irrelevant. At the monthly staff meeting, most people, including the CEO are on their phones texting or surfing the web. I've read about the compensation and benefits and I have to laugh as they have no maternity leave for their employees. Employees are expected to use their sick days and vacation.

Advice to Management

You're too much...

4. "Pretty good for a non-profit"

I worked at CFP full-time

Pros

37.5 hour work week, collegial environment

Cons

Lower salareies than other similar non-profits

5. "CFP"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at CFP full-time

Pros

Great health/retirement benefits, decent professional development, very professional environment, staff-level team wonderful to work with

Cons

zero emphasis on work/life balance, extremely limited flexibility

6. "Leadership Lacking"

Former Employee - IT Never Mattered
    Former Employee - IT Never Mattered

Pros

Great people to work with (Director Level or below),. vacation days, some benefits, office space...Geez, why is this 20 word minimum so difficult to reach? That in itself should tell you something...

Cons

Management uncaring except for themselves (the leadership team actually hates each other). Little or no internal controls. At staff meetings, they have a dedicated time to openly make fun of CFPs who are being disciplined and laugh at people who call in. "Unprofessional" is what I would call this organization and its CEO. This place is like a sausage factory and if I were a CFP(R), I'd lose all faith in this organization.

Advice to Management

You really need to stop and seriously consider how bad you look. My "perception" (the CEO's favorite word) of this place is not good.

7. "Compliance Analyst"

I worked at CFP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a friendly environment with good colleagues. It was a nice atmosphere to work in, with collaborative styles encouraged.

Cons

Being a non profit, there did not seem to be a lot of room for growth. Promotions seemed to frequently come from outside rather than inside

8. "Good job"

I have been working at CFP full-time

Pros

My own office, mentally stimulating, high variety, challenging, fast-paced, not many other employees, not much drama, good hours, good days off

Cons

privileged client expectations, surrounded by perfectionists, forms get rejected for any small reason, impatience with mistakes, etc

Advice to Management

Nothing to say, everything is fine, anonymity is essential to this, i'm glad feedback like this exists, hope it gets to the right person

"So much potential, but so few results and little planning and follow through."

I worked at CFP full-time

Pros

One of the few compliments I can give this organization is the quality of staff at the Director level (sometimes) and below. Support/administrative, professional and manager level staff were in general bright, competent, and honest individuals. I mostly encountered pleasant people in my five years at CFP Board.

Cons

However, imho upper management lacked the cohesion, thoughtfulness and perhaps even desire to provide a positive and productive work environment for staff and conduct their core business in a proper manner. Some personalities at the upper mgmt level are less than savory or pleasant individuals.

In general, my experience with the "leadership" team could be characterized by poor communication, less-than-straightforward feedback and coaching, and little support for professional development activities. Some departments were a revolving door, often leaning on temp staff, and it was often difficult to get things done. High-level decisions and strategy often seemed short-sighted and reactionary.

Advice to Management

I'd have to say that the review from April 6, 2011 is spot on. There was a lot of talk about core organizational principles and leadership values, but I didn't see much of those play out. Feedback was one-way and it seemed to really be a "take it or leave" environment where only "yes men" and group think was rewarded. I think management needs to really consider the environment they're fostering if they intend to retain strong/talented staff.

10. "A do-gooder place to work and make a difference in the Financial Services industry."

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at CFP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well defined connection between core values, mission and annual goals/ strategies all the way down to day-to-day operations.

Cons

Office politics could get obnoxious at times, and some of the personalities at the top are a bit much to be exposed to on a daily basis. It is difficult (though neccessary) to listen to opinions on every little detail from the 70K+ advisors that make up the CFP population.

Advice to Management

Choose outside consultants carefully. Some do more harm than good.