CIPD Reviews | Glassdoor

CIPD Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2019

Found 30 reviews

3.5
CIPD CEO Peter Cheese (no image)
Peter Cheese
  1. "Good company"

Current Employee - Marketing Executive

I have been working at CIPD full-time

Pros

Ownership of campaigns, good work life balance culture

Cons

Slow to implement change

CIPD2019-08-20

September 11, 2019Director of People and OD

Thanks very much for leaving a review. It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying ownership of campaigns and that we’ve got work life balance right. Thanks also for your comments on change. Our ambitions are exciting for the people profession and there’s a lot to do, but we must not allow that to slow down our pace of change. Thanks for being a part of the CIPD!

2. "Great place to work!!"

Former Employee - TRAINING OPERATIONS in Wimbledon, England

I worked at CIPD full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible working, great management support and free lunch

Cons

None its a great place to work

Advice to Management

Keep up what your doing

CIPD2019-04-20

April 22, 2019Director of People and OD

Thanks very much for taking the time to review the CIPD. Great to read that you enjoyed your time with us! Thanks for being part of what we do and very best wishes with your future career!

3. "Working at CIPD"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wimbledon, England

I have been working at CIPD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible working is amazing, we also receive a free cooked lunch each day and it is very close to my home. We also have an office in Victoria which is helpful for meetings too

Cons

There is no car park, I can't really think of anything else at the moment!

Advice to Management

We would like to see our CEO a little bit more!

CIPD2019-03-13

March 25, 2019Director of People and OD

Thanks very much for leaving a review and sharing your experience of working with the CIPD! It's great to read that you like our approach to flexible working and that our workplaces are convenient. We're fortunate to have a very active CEO who is an amazing advocate for the work that we do in supporting the people profession externally. Peter does aim to share his time between external and internal commitments and, as a leadership team, we regularly discuss how we can support one another with this. I'll make sure your observation is fed into this.

4. "Does what it says on the tin"

I have been working at CIPD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people make great organisations and CIPD is a perfect example. Work can be interesting and varied People are provided with the flexibility to approach their role how they deem fit Management team, great adopting an open, honest and supportive approach Fantastic team ethic Clear and transparent communication in relation to organisational objectives Strong opportunities for progression and development... Truly live out their values

Cons

Decision making can be a laborious process with little outcome Need a stronger commercial focus to deliver objectives Work can be quite "siloed" Lack of accountability at times. People avoid having difficult conversations

Advice to Management

Mostly carry on doing what is already done, however focus on the future of the institute and what is required to change to deliver objectives as sometimes a more commercial approach needs to be adopted.

CIPD2019-02-20

March 1, 2019Director of People and OD

Thank you for sharing your review of the CIPD. It is great to read that you enjoy being a part of what we are doing in championing better work and working lives! We truly do have great people working with us and, together, we are enabling the open, honest and supportive approach that you refer to. The scope of what we do at the CIPD is large and we continue to work hard to drive the focus and decisive approach you mention. That means that sometimes the conversations do need to be challenging, honest and supportive and we have invested in leadership and management development that is helping people to do just that. I and my colleagues on the senior leadership team are keen to hear views and ideas as to how we continue to grow, so please do get in touch with any of us or our colleagues on our people consultation group, Sounding Board, with whom we work to discuss and put great ideas into practice!

5. "Good intent, great flexible working practice"

I have been working at CIPD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working practice, caring and approachable CEO

Cons

Some staff have just been there too long

Advice to Management

Stronger people function and leadership required

CIPD2019-02-01

March 1, 2019Director of People and OD

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the CIPD. It's great to hear that you feel positive about our flexible working practices; one of the many things our CEO is passionate about in promoting better working lives. We're enthusiastic about all people, no matter their background, wanting to be a part of our success and remaining with us. We continue to invest in leadership and management development to build and sustain a great working environment. Our people function is growing and we are currently recruiting into new people team vacancies that will further strengthen how we enable our own people at the CIPD to enjoy challenging and fulfilling careers. Your thoughts and ideas are welcome so please do get in touch with me as I would love to hear more.

"dont practice what they preach"

Current Employee - Policy in Wimbledon, England

I have been working at CIPD part-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible working, no real performance measures

Cons

Constant change and restructures Constant change in reporting lines and SLT Clicques and favourites are clear No international strategy Poor service at home for our majority of members Charity with no charitable purpose in my view

Advice to Management

Where do I start, for a professional body not to practice what it preaches is unacceptable. Managers and Directors leave regularly with a number of reshuffles and changes. Bullying is common and grievances are raised at SLT level. We have no plan for membership growth and have focus outside our purpose in the UK. We promote managers to director without any open competition, people complaint and get promoted and all... the time we don't improve as a charity or a business. Our standards aren't practised internally at all. A horrible, toxic (in my view) culture

CIPD2019-02-21

March 1, 2019Director of People and OD

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We are very sorry to hear you that you feel you have had a bad experience at the CIPD. We are working hard to foster a culture that enables all our people to learn, grow, develop and achieve in a supportive and respectful working environment and so we are really saddened to hear that you don’t think this is the case. We use fair and robust assessment processes, utilising external assessors where appropriate, for director and senior manager level appointments, and we seek to encourage people from all backgrounds to apply and become a valued part of our success. Furthermore, we have invested in leadership and management development throughout the CIPD incorporating the latest systems integrated thinking. We are especially concerned about your allegations of bullying as this is something that is completely unacceptable to us. Any questions or concerns raised with us are investigated through a rigorous and supportive process. We understand that it is important that everyone within the CIPD understands their role in delivering our charitable purpose and to feel personally connected to it. We appreciate that this is not always easy, given the scope of work that our people do, and we are working hard to make it a personally fulfilling purpose for everyone. We have many internal systems and channels for people to raise concerns such as yours or to share ideas while they are at work and we strongly urge you to contact me or any member of the People Team for further discussion, in confidence, on any of your points.

"If you’re coming to CIPD because you’re fooled by the image they project, head for the hills."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wimbledon, England

I worked at CIPD part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

• The low-performance culture means that the work is easy • Work life balance is very good • Free lunch • You can be yourself at work • Office is nice, and a nice location

Cons

• Very weak leadership – slow (almost non-existent) decision making • Lack of strategy – lots of vague aims but no metrics/articulation/idea of how to get there • Big disconnection from the purpose. CIPD is more concerned with furthering its own image than actually doing anything tangible to help either its members or the general public • Lack of opportunities for development and progression • EXTREME... cronyism • Salary for some is very high (for no apparent reason – it’s not linked to performance) and for many others is very low

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, don't disregard their complaints as 'bad reactions to change' or whatever else

CIPD2018-12-17

January 3, 2019Director of People and OD

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your time at the CIPD. It's good that you felt able to be yourself at work, and that you found the working environment pleasant. We are comfortable with career progression and opportunities within the CIPD; over the past year 13% of our colleagues have moved into new roles internally. Our learning & development programme is also available for all colleagues who wish to make use of it and we are consistently updating it. We have recently undergone an extensive review of all our salary ranges and continue to benchmark against a wide range of organisations to ensure we offer fair and competitive pay at all levels of the business. We strongly refute any suggestions of cronyism. We have a clear and transparent process for both recruitment and promotion within the CIPD and we would have zero tolerance for such practice. Our colleagues at the CIPD and many members who volunteer their time are passionate about our purpose of championing better work and working lives; it is their belief in this mission that drives them to work so hard. Our People team would be happy to talk through your thoughts and experiences, so please do feel free to get in touch if you would like to arrange a chat. Thanks again for your comments.

8. "Great place to work and develope"

Current Employee - Employer Engagement Executive in Wimbledon, England

I have been working at CIPD full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People, opportunities, values, L&D, benefits

Cons

Culture needs improving but this is recognised and steps are in place to change it

Advice to Management

Sometimes the business could take more commercial risks if the cipd truly wants to grow but other than that keep doing what you are doing.

CIPD2018-10-14

October 15, 2018Director of People

Thanks very much for your review! It's an exciting time to be working at the CIPD and that brings many great opportunities. We're definitely keen on growing so thanks for being part of our journey!

"Talk is Cheap. Big ideas - Small on action."

Current Employee - Frustrated Employee in Wimbledon, England

I have been working at CIPD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Free lunch. 2. Getting involved in work groups like LGBT, BAME, WELLBEING, SPORTS, WINE CLUB. 3. Xmas £150 vouchers to spend anywhere. 4. Social get togethers.

Cons

1. Nepotism & Cronyism is rife!! Career development is talked up a lot, but rarely happens, takes a long time, and usually given to a friend, or even family member. 2. Diversity, inclusion and culture is poor - Suggestions are made, apparently listened to BUT NOTHING EVER HAPPENS OR CHANGES - and not 1 person on the senior leadership/management team is from an ethic minority - as someone in a mixed race... relationship, this is very sad to see. 3. So many talented people have been, rightly, employed and brought into the organisation, however, due to being frustrated at either the lack of opportunities or empty promises - we have lost some truly outstanding talent. I hope we can change, and quickly. 4. Salaries - are lower than the industry averages.

Advice to Management

So many talented people have been, rightly, employed and brought into the organisation, however, due to being frustrated at the salary, the lack of opportunities, or empty promises - we have lost some truly outstanding talent. I hope we can change this, and quickly.

CIPD2018-10-18

October 24, 2018Director of People

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review about the CIPD. It’s great that you are making the most of the social side of the organisation. Happy to hear you have also been able to get involved in our Diversity and Inclusion work groups. We’ve really focused on these over recent years, and are hopeful that our policy of enabling colleagues to take part in these during work hours makes them as accessible as possible. It’s fantastic to hear you’ve played an active role within them; thank you for your involvement! Developing all our people is important to us and we constantly monitor progression within the organisation. We also keep a very close eye on our turnover. At the moment we are comfortable with both, but that’s not to say we can’t improve. Across the Senior Leadership Team and the Board we try to ensure that we embrace diversity and are proud of where we are. Initiatives like our big push on the Diversity & Inclusion work groups you mention are just one of the steps we are taking to move in this direction and to ensure that there are clear opportunities for everyone to have career progression in the CIPD. We strongly refute any suggestion of nepotism and cronyism. We have a clear and transparent process for both recruitment and promotion within the CIPD and we would have zero tolerance for such practice. Our People team would be happy to hear more about your reflections and experiences on all these matters, should you wish to contact them. Thanks again for your comments.

"Good place to work, could be great with a few improvements"

I have been working at CIPD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some fab people to work with. The CEO is brilliant and has really made the institute popular and relevant.

Cons

It its a really good place to work but ironically the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development doesn't always practice what it preaches. My experience with the HR department hasn't always been positive.

Advice to Management

You lose really good employees because you have some poor managers.

CIPD2018-08-18

August 30, 2018Head of People

Thank you for taking the time to review the CIPD. We have many great people working with us (including our CEO!) who are making some exciting things happen for the people profession and our members. I am sorry to learn that your experience with the HR department hasn't always positive. We care a lot about creating a great employee experience and providing engaging and meaningful careers with us, which includes an evolving development programme for our people managers. If there is anything in particular that it would be helpful for us to be aware of please do get in touch with me.

Found 30 reviews