COMTek Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great job"

Former Employee - SMSI in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - SMSI in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at COMTek (More than 10 years)

Pros

Manager and support staff have been very supportive and caring. Took very good care of me for 13 years. Great for Soldiers at the tail end of their Army careers. Very flexible hours.

Cons

Can have long hours occasionally.

Advice to Management

COL Frusha and Mitch have been super supportive to my career and personal goals.

2. "No good experience."

Former Employee - Geotechnical Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Geotechnical Engineer in Charlotte, NC

Pros

They are no pros to mentioned in this box...

Cons

My first payment or reimbursement was paid five weeks later after I started the work contract. They were blaming also my bank. I was accused twice by them incorrectly, they were completely wrong. Also unprofessional and disrespectful, also need to add, racist. Gossip and always with an excuse why my money was not in my bank account. Will never ever work for ComTek.

Advice to Management

You need to be more respectful, and work with the ignorance you have about the United States Territories, it's politics and people.

"Good Transition Job - Rewarding - Salary sub-standard"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor of Military Science in Jonesboro, AR
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor of Military Science in Jonesboro, AR

I worked at COMTek full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule as far as task priorities - Very rewarding position with regard to seeing Cadets develop after implementing what you've taught them.

Cons

Long hours - A lot of working weekends doing extracurricular events - Compared to what an active duty officer makes to do the same job and meet the same requirements you can count on cutting your salary in half. If you dedicate yourself to this company you are setting yourself up for failure. Make sure you work your masters degree while you are at the university instead of focusing all of your time on the company and program. Everyone else will if you don't. Take care of yourself because when push comes to shove and budget cuts are required, you may find yourself unemployed no matter how loyal you were to the company and Cadet Command.

Advice to Management

Show some loyalty to tenured employees who have been with you for awhile instead of just tossing them to the side when government budget cuts force your hand. Offer pay raises...Going backwards on the pay scale after being with a company for 10 years doesn't say a lot for the company's management policies.

"I have worked for this company for 8+ years."

Former Employee - SMSI in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - SMSI in Huntsville, AL

I worked at COMTek full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working in the ROTC environment is very rewarding when you consider that you are molding the future leaders of the U.S. Army. Imparting your knowledge and experience on future Lieutenants is very satisfying, and brings a lot of satisfation. The company does a good job supporting drill/Annual Training requirements.

Cons

The pay is substandard for the hours required. The company expects you to work to the same standards expected of an Army Officer/NCO, but pays less then half the salary of your active duty counterparts. We are held to a higher physical fitness standard than our Active Duty counterparts. Medical benefits are also substandard if you an National Guardsman/Reservist not enrolled in Tricare. The company does not do a good job keeping employees informed during contract renewal, and you can lose your job with only a few days notice.

Advice to Management

Pay what we are worth. Keep us informed. Give at least 90 day notice if our position is not going to be continued.

5. "Good Company"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at COMTek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good company to work for. They have good people, average salaries, and benefits. I would encourage anyone to at least check them out.

Cons

Advice to Management

None.

6. "Solid company"

Current Employee - Senior Military Science Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Military Science Instructor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at COMTek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

COMTek affords an Army officer or NCO the opportunity to continue to provide military service as a civilian. Working in a college environment is amazing! The kids are generally solid, and the staff you work with is generally pretty professional.

Cons

Working with this military contract, you will be under-compensated compared your AD counterparts...significantly under-compensated. It is really a good job if you are going to be mobilizing often or you need to be on campus completing a graduate degree. There is no upward mobility, and really no opportunity for pay increases.

"Working as an Army ROTC Recruiting Operations Officer"

Current Employee - Recruiting Operations Officer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Recruiting Operations Officer in Portland, OR

I have been working at COMTek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

o Working with the cadets (training, instructing, recruiting them)
    o Physical Training
    o Working with the college
    o Networking with college and other instructors
    o Once a year workshop training
    o Pay is higher than average for area
    o I had Bosses that cared

Cons

o contract renegotiations every three years, could have a new employer this often. Big changes with a new employers (lowest bidder wins)
    o loss of benefits on contract changes
    o You will work more hours of an Army Officer, just not paid for them
    o You will work weekends, as much as once month and twice a month per quarter during school year
    o LDAC every summer

Advice to Management

Keep your Battalions informed. Ensure the communication is consistent and accurate.

"NOC Engineer"

Current Employee - NOC Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - NOC Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at COMTek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is above average for positions, while work load was light overall.

Cons

Loss of contracts and no room for growth in your career within the company.

"Work environment at COMTek was flexible, but highly dependent on the host school's PMS."

Former Employee - Senior Military Science Instructor in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Military Science Instructor in Wayne, PA

Pros

Management was responsive and much of the work was autonomous without supervision from the actual company. Utilization was driven by the host professor of military science (for good or bad).

Cons

Compensation for performing the same duties as an active duty Soldier was grossly reduced. While surely COMTek is used to cut costs, the idea of paying a contractor (who is like current or former active duty / reservist) less for the same work seems somewhat silly. If the requirement is to have a military qualified individual there, to nickle and dime them in a poor economy seems awfully cheap for DoD standards, especially given contractor pay and benefits elsewhere in the department.

Advice to Management

Improve benefits in comparison to active duty personnel. The work load is no different, if not greater, while the compensation is consistently markedly less.

"Retired NCOs are treated as 2nd Class citizens!"

Current Employee - Military Science Instructor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Military Science Instructor in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

It's a satisfying job when you see your cadets graduate and commission as an officer.

Cons

Retired NCOs are paid poorly, NCOs go to work at Ft. Lewis or Ft. Knox every summer while others make excuses and don't participate.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees equally and pay based on experience.