CPA.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Erik Asgeirsson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Love Working Here!"

I have been working at CPA.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company offers amazing flexibility, work/life balance, compassionate management, well above average benefits and wonderful team environment.

Cons

Team is spread out, so you have to be comfortable working in a remote environment (not necessarily a con); some recent changes to benefits we are told to control costs; there can be an over abundance of unnecessary meetings.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward excellent performance. Look for opportunities to promote exceptional employees.

"Finally.....a career that understands work-life balance"

I have been working at CPA.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coming from a job that prevented me from having the work-life balance I needed, working at CPA.com has been a life changer. CPA.com allows me to excel in my career, grow professionally, be a part of a team I believe in, and encourages me to be the best working parent I can be. I have the flexibility I need, the support of upper management and HR, and the family-like atmosphere that truly makes it fun to come to work.

Cons

Compensation for sales organization can be more clearly defined and consistent across the team

3. "Great company"

I have been working at CPA.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, plenty of opportunities to work on new projects/technologies as well as promote your own ideas. The company puts the employees first and goes through great lengths to help people perform at the top of their game. I have never seen a request for training denied, and the company promotes training to advance skills.

The life insurance, bonuses, and 401k wealth management are pretty good. I compared mine to a colleague at Apple and it was comparable (minus the public company stock benefits).

Cons

The company is working on many projects in many different areas, which be viewed as a negative or a positive. The negative is that it can make staff feel spread very thin. The positive is that you get to work on many things and not feel like you are in a silo.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the right direction by improving culture and focusing on growth. Some consolidation of products might be in order to give employees more focus.

4. "Awesome and supportive place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CPA.com (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent experience working at CPA.com for many years. It is a small-mid size company so employees have real opportunities to impact the business and get involved in a wide variety of activities/responsibilities. The business needs and projects are continually evolving so it's a great place to work if you have an entrepreneurial spirit. Employees are friendly and collaborative, management is supportive, and the work/life balance is very good.

Cons

Career paths could use some additional clarity. Look for additional ways to increase teaming across the different offices.

Advice to Management

There are many moving parts to the business so need to stay focused on the most strategic and important initiatives to drive growth.

"DON'T DO IT: 'the Office' TV show on steroids"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at CPA.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

The health insurance. There's a 20 word minimum here so I'm writing a few more words.

Cons

The NY office has an atmosphere that can only be described as morgue-like - and everyone there agreed with me on that. Grey, drab, silent, behind the times: welcome to the past. Cubicle partitions, no eye-contact from management, certainly no innovation, an older workforce. Highly corporate, nonsensical internal processes are rampant, and ensure that any progress is as slow and painful as possible. Co-workers are generally uninterested, unmotivated and extremely slow to respond to any internal requests. The upper management is totally removed from all other layers, and they seem to "work from home" at least 3 days a week. Except for Mike Murray, the CFO - who is liked an respected by practically everyone. Expect endless, mind-numbing corporate jargon, and hours of pointless meetings on a daily basis, where jargon is thrown around and almost nothing gets decided or done. 'When in doubt - use meaningless jargon' seems to be the name of the game here. The company could not be further from the new, more open, tech-style management style favored by Google and others. There is a good reason for this, in case you're wondering (I certainly was scratching my head at first), which is that cpa.com is a for-profit branch of the AICPA (a not for profit). The AICPA decides what certifications/credits etc. are required by CPAs in the US. Then along comes CPA.com, with full access to the AICPA member database, offering the products the AICPA forces them to buy - it's a captive audience, so no innovation required.
    This job was the most unfulfilling one I have had, where I felt the most badly-treated and mentally and emotionally taken advantage of. I would not wish this company on my worst enemy, I genuinely mean that. The management style in the Alliance Marketing Team is one of intimidation and fear. Marketing Managers are pressurized to churn out complex projects on a weekly basis, while the Alliance Team director struts around the office like a peacock and takes full credit (without helping, contributing or offering advice when asked). He arrives last and leaves first every day - or at least 95% of the time, I think that says it all.
    Salaries are very low. I was offered 20k more in my subsequent job.
    KEY TAKEAWAY: If happiness or a fair salary are of any importance to you, avoid CPA.com like the plague. Trust me.

Advice to Management

Where to start... consider replacing every member of management? Come into the office more, make eye contact with employees, hold less pointless meetings, cut out ALL the ridiculous jargon, learn about modern management styles, review your salary structure. The C-level folks here are in particularly cushy positions, so enjoy it while it lasts I guess. Cheers!

6. "Awesome Place to Work!"

Pros

Great atmosphere. Flexible environment, great work life balance. Challenging but rewarding. Competitive benefits.

Cons

Career progression can be slow for some. Promotions seem somewhat random. Too many reorganizations.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Behind on the times"

I have been working at CPA.com full-time

Pros

Medical, dental, eye benefits are good and inexpensive. Typically get two summer flex PTO days and sometimes the week of Christmas off.

Cons

16 year old company that runs like a startup. Higher ups keep adding to our goals but limiting who we can sell the programs to and wants to run bare bones on staff numbers. There are managers not leaders here that are behind on the times. Recently took away monthly cell phone reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Don't take away benefits from your employees. Get with the times; people communicate through email not just phone. Stop spreading your staff so thin, hire more people.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at CPA.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance until staff members leave the company; co-workers great to work with: intelligent, volunteer help and ideas/experience when needed.

Cons

Frequent, disorganized reorgs; career development self initiated and completed; opportunities for promotion lessening

9. "very low paying jobs"

Pros

Often work with several clients at one time, and encounter a wide variety of types of work and people, keeping the job engaging and interesting.

Cons

very low paying jobs. too much works and politics etc

Advice to Management

get experience from public cpa firms and try to get hired by big four firms

10. "marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at CPA.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

rank-and-file staff are friendly and helpful. Everyone works hard to do well. Very few slackers except some of the managers who like to work their staff and claim the glory (without actually doing any work).

Cons

Upper management has no clue about managing or motivating or rewarding people or recognizing the contributions of individuals. Management insulates itself and speaks only to the managers who manage staff thinking that they tell the truth. In fact, most staff managers simply state what best serves their own personal interests.

Advice to Management

Don't just listen to your top level managers. Make an attempt to meet with all employees one-on-one so you can learn what they really think. Your top tier managers just tell you what they think you want to hear.