CallRail Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.6
Andy Powell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CallRail full-time

Pros

There are too many pros to list so I'll keep it high level:
    - Amazingly talented people that genuinely care about their product and teammates
    - Incredible product that continues to develop in the right direction for the right reasons
    - Incredible leadership that not only pushes you to perform but gives you the tools you need to do so
    - Fantastic culture of driven people that are always more than willing to help
    - Constantly evolving processes that do more to help you than to bog you down with administrative tasks
    - Snacks, sodas, cold brew, etc.
    - Amazing benefits
    - Covered transportation
    - Unlimited, untracked PTO
    - Work wherever
    You get the point. This company is incredible. They are more interested in what you can accomplish towards the company goals than getting into the minutia of process or hierarchy.

Cons

This isn't really a con but the pace can be intense at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and present with your employees. You guys are doing great!

"Great Company Great Culture Great People"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CallRail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are treated like people. The company realizes your contribution to the world doesn't start and stop at Callrail, and because of that, they allow you the freedom to get done what you need to and manage your own time. There's plenty of perks around the culture and the amenities provided to employees, but it all stems from a genuine desire to have happy employees.

Cons

If you're a negative person you could find some cons, but you'd have to really try.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees and keep prioritizing the people.

3. "CallRail is the Best of the Best"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CallRail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CallRail is, without a doubt, the best place I've ever worked. I've never seen a company that does so much for its employees. We enjoy perks like weekly catered lunch, snacks, wine Wednesdays, quarterly outings, MarioKart, untracked vacation, great work/life balance and more. The people here are crazy smart, creative and helpful. Management is approachable, motivating and willing to help us succeed.

I believe that everything CallRail does for us inspires loyalty, productivity and a positive attitude that has resulted in the creation of an awesome product that our customers love. CallRail grows and evolves daily and feedback is welcomed and acknowledged. People truly enjoy coming to work here.

Cons

I really have nothing negative to say. The only thing that I can think of is that we are growing fast and the product evolves frequently so sometimes it's hard to keep up to date with the changes.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing. You're doing an outstanding job and we appreciate it.

"Lack of management and direction for sales team"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CallRail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The software is amazing thanks to the development team that keeps up with product demands
    -Customer's have great things to say about the product
    -Reps are mostly working inbound leads, very few outbound leads are generated
    -The office is great and coworkers are genuinely nice
    -Company outings make you feel special
    -Quotas are not tied to revenue, they just care about credit cards per month (very rare for sales)
    -Other coworkers within other departments truly love working for support, product, and the development team

Cons

-Lack of leadership and sales direction- no sales training or best practices. The expectation is "learn as you go".
    -No spiffs or accelerators for exceeding quota.
    -Base salary is low compared to other SaaS companies in Atlanta. I was promised a lot more than what I made (you mostly make your money on OTE if you get the right leads which are evenly distributed).
    -Sales manager has no management experience or enterprise sales experience.
    -Some reps cheat the system by faking calls and activities and management oversees it while other reps work their butts off and barely get a thanks.
    - They say you are promoted for being a high performer, yet there are reps that get by doing the bare minimum and there are no consequences. Numbers don't lie.

Advice to Management

This company would be great for sales people if the sales department was led the same way other departments are managed at the company. I left for a better opportunity because I was told my experience was going to be something that it was not. 4 people left the company for the same reasons (2 from sales and 2 from marketing)- what is it going to take for management to see the common denominator?

From what I understand, exit interviews were given to provide feedback but nothing has changed.

"Inexperienced Middle Management"

I have been working at CallRail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool office downtown with catered meals, games and perks. Solid benefits and a good work from home policy.

Cons

Director level management is emotionally and professionally immature and lacks both experience and integrity. Managers can be passive aggressive and condescending while offering little to no support, direction or career development. Culture overall seems to vary by department and can often feel very cliquish.

Advice to Management

Employees leave managers not companies. Coach and develop your newer inexperienced directors. Just because someone is good at their job or has tenure does not mean they are fit for leadership.

"Horribly run sales team (great company otherwise)"

Pros

Very cool company with an overall great culture. The benefits were amazing, great camaraderie, and a good product. Great place for developers and customer success.

Cons

Sales management originally made it very clear that every person hired at CallRail was hired to help the company. One of the best things about the company was supposed to be the transparency and opportunity to be open with upper management and your own team alike. Love the thought, but don't think it was actually true by any means.

There is a false sense of consideration, and the lack of structure and organization on the sales team is astonishing. The product only sells well because of it's quality and the people on the phones selling it. So many sales companies our there have it down to a science. CallRail's sales management methods do not lend to an ability to progress and be a successful sales person due to the inexperience of the sales management and inability to be open to ideas other than their own. Without clear expectations, you'll always be failing - they have set no bar for success, leading to very subjective conversations rather than conversations based on numbers.

The sales team was told they would be getting training and never did- the sales management would try something new for a week and decide they didn't like it. This lead to incredible lack of stability or expectation needed. Perhaps the leadership is stretched too thin. With a young sales team without much experience, it makes more sense to have a leadership team with a bit more of an idea of what a successful sales team looks like and how to get there.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees.

7. "You can't beat this place."

I have been working at CallRail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best people.
    The best office.
    The best Mario Kart tournaments.
    Catered lunches once a week.
    Everyone is whip-smart.
    The management legitimately wants employees to be happy and fulfilled.

We're also working on interesting problems, like using AI to classify calls. The work load is varied, and never too much to handle. Interdepartment mixing is encouraged with expensed lunches. There's good local beers in the fridge.

Cons

Sometimes the light in the morning bounces off the Westin hotel and temporarily blinds me at my desk, and I'm not totally sure if I can expense sunglasses for that time.

Advice to Management

Keep caring about keeping a fun culture. And more themed happy hours, as they seem to get more participation than the non-themed happy hours.

8. "Best job I've ever had"

I have been working at CallRail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership. Great culture. Strives for fun. Flexible. Results driven. Not you're typical startup. Strong, consistent growth. Fast paced environment.

Cons

Still the wild west, startup culture. More fun than anything. Not for you if you need a lot of structure.

Advice to Management

Keep going.

9. "Doesn't get much better!"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CallRail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to be a part of something that's successful, transparent and open minded is priceless. All while enjoying the people you are around and the other "startup" like perks.

Cons

Keeping up can be tough, but anything worth doing is going to be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep it real.

"forthright, technical founders"

I have been working at CallRail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We've got the big fridge stocked with juice, soda, and craft beer. We've got a kegerator that dispenses cold-brew coffee (what?!). The leaning-healthy-but-still-fattening snack situation is on point. Regularly catered lunches, happy hours, quarterly outings, ping pong, WII U (mario kart), PS4 (overcooked, NHL, towerfall)—the list of perks seems to grow and change daily, just like the list of custom emojis we've added to our slack chat (our meeting rooms are named after the most-used emojis). They pay for my monthly MARTA pass. They encourage expensing uber rides during company outings. We've got the whole 27th floor of the Equitable building and it has amazing views of the downtown Atlanta skyline. I rarely work from home because, honestly, CallRail is a pleasant place to come to work.

From an engineering perspective, CallRail is the first company I've worked at where the cofounders have technical backgrounds, and previously wrote big chunks of the codebase. They keep up with the product roadmap and features. I think I'm pretty familiar with our product, but they know just as much about how the product works as the senior devs (if not more). As of my typing this, a large chunk of code still `git blames` to them. They are in developer chat and github threads. They understand things like browser cookie domain restrictions and IE frustrations. It's already a breath of fresh air to be able to positively impact thousands of customers with new features. What feels unique is that company leadership has at least a cursory understanding of the effort that goes into those features. It's my fourth job since graduating college and it feels like the best company I'll ever write software for.

Cons

I've felt the need to exercise more so I can keep trying new snack room additions. I'm nowhere near as good at NHL as I was at my previous job. How the hell do you deke in NHL 2015?

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on. I'm enjoying the ride.