CallTower Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Bret England

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Technical Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at CallTower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn and grow.
    Opportunity for growth within support is high

Cons

Promises are not always kept regarding future opportunities.
    Not many opportunities open up within the engineering department

Advice to Management

Before promising future raises, changes in positions, etc... be sure to have it approved by executives first.

2. "Be Careful"

I worked at CallTower full-time

Pros

Good People but management is disconnected from Employee vs. Profit.

Cons

Get ready to live and breath your job. Days & Nights. Management has agenda - and you are not part of it.

Advice to Management

Look at People as Humans along with your Bottom Line. Expect good leads to be taken by management.

"Wouldn't recommend working here."

I worked at CallTower full-time

Pros

Great hours and great co-workers, which makes the company tolerable. The company does try to create a good culture and include everyone.

Cons

Upper management is terrible, and some never show up to work. No follow through. They send out surveys to see how management is doing, but nothing ever changes, so why send them. Things are quickly brushed under the rug. They simply don't care.

4. "Enjoyable enviroment"

Current Employee - NOC Technician in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - NOC Technician in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at CallTower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is friendly, and easy to work with. This aids in a positive environment, that helps in promoting productivity. Overall it's a fun environment.

Cons

They are still fresh on their restart. This has shown bumps along the way. With any company restarting the road will always prove challenging.

Advice to Management

Nothing at this time.

"Needs Serious Work"

I worked at CallTower full-time

Pros

Trying to make it an enjoyable place to work. The CEO seems to be a nice person, but sometimes meddles in things he should not, the COO seems to be trying his best. Most of the people are good people in a bad situation. This company could be a great place to work... someday.

Do some great things for their employees as far as insurance and benefits. Trying to help with some of the needs that we all have.

Do a good job of trying to keep the moral up. Want to have happy employees.

Have goals for everyone and want to have people that believe in that goal.

Cons

Have not figured out how to make it a functional place to work yet. Training was horrible and was ran by someone who does not have the ability to understand, or listen, and retired in their mind years ago.

The policies and SLA's are convoluted and always changing, they need to be changed to a sound policy, then left alone until the customers and the employees know them.

The simplest thing that the customer should understand at the very beginning is tiptoed around by sales to get the customer to buy, then management at certain levels just suck up rather than tell them technology doesn't work based on the customers feelings to get them to stay, the technicians are allowed to take verbal abuse and blame for something that has nothing to do with the technician to placate the customer.

HR is done at another building... Supervisors sometimes work from home... Nepotism...

Advice to Management

Don't tell your employees they are the most important part of the company if you really don't feel that way. Pay them what they are worth rather than play games. Have a fair division of work, and reward those doing more work.

Things should be explained to the customer long before customers sign contracts to receive goods that they are not ready for, cannot understand, and cannot use properly. The person constantly making massive changes to an already vague and bad set of policies should either stop making the policies, completely revamp them correctly, or don't blame others when they don't work.

I understand that you need to hook customers, but don't blame your employees after setting them up to fail.

Needs to be a go between for the customer and technical support, (Customer Support)? The customers should not be able to call in and complain just because they feel like it.

Learn to tell the customer NO, technology is not Subway, they can't have it the way they want because they are upset.

Training needs to be taken seriously, give 6-8 weeks and have it done by someone that can hear.

"No work life balance; making the best of a bad situation."

Former Employee - Support
    Former Employee - Support

I worked at CallTower full-time

Pros

Great view, if other employees would keep the blinds open.
    A lot of personal growth can be had here.
    Great co-workers.

Cons

-I'll be honest, I never felt I was paid what I was worth here, I was not the only one. Others, conversely, I know were paid too much for what they contributed within our team.
    -I felt like the career opportunities presented were always just a carrot-on-a-stick, and never sincere. Specifically engineering roles.
    -This was the only job I ever had that I'd leave it, hang out with other co-workers, and we'd do nothing but talk about the how difficult work is.
    -50-60 hour work weeks were common, just to get caught up on your daily responsibilities.
    -In the 20 months I worked here, our entire sales, telecom, project management, executive leadership, logistics, support team, and half of the engineers completely turned over, many leaving.
    -The company refused to pay out PTO when I left, even though my employment offer letter explicitly stated the opposite.
    -Calltower does not comply with FCC guidelines, specifically CPNI or HIPPA requirements as far as my understanding goes.
    -Too many meetings are held. It made it very difficult to get the help I needed with other departments.
    -Policies are too complicated, difficult to follow or understand. Specifically escalation policy and SLA guidelines.
    -When the company first went 24/7 there were a lot of growing pains and cost saving measures that made it hell to work here after hours. Mainly, the shutting off of lights and AC after hours. It would get 80+ degrees, and you couldn't leave the office because the key-card readers would shut off. Thankfully this changed, though providing 24/7 support still turned out to be cost prohibitively expensive, even with international clients.

Advice to Management

-Any advice I could give now feels like it would fall on deaf ears, as it has been provided during my exit interviews. But I'd suggest the following to start with.
    -Stop trying to "go to war" with your own employees, it creates a very hostile environment and doesn't get anything done.
    -Have a clear scope of support. Support didn't have guidance on what we should or should not support, or the proper tools to troubleshoot. An issue that would take an hour of dedicated focus to resolve would be strung out for days, weeks, sometimes months, because we were turned away from the developers, and engineers who were unable to help because of meetings, project deadlines, or unclear boundaries.
    -Set up a plan for billable time for any non-broken request. When I left so much time per day was wasted on support issues that weren't really support issues, or were bottlenecks, like manually adding sidecars, when a lot of waste could be automated.

"Needs Help"

I have been working at CallTower full-time

Pros

Small Company, CEO part of everything and involved in every micro detail of each client

Cons

This place needs to understand and appreciate their employees as they are leaving in droves this past year and seems to be a history of it

8. "A great bunch of folks building an exciting company"

I worked at CallTower full-time

Pros

A great bunch of folks to work with. The vast majority are very good at what they do and are highly committed. The workplace atmosphere is extremely friendly and supportive. The team has an uncanny ability to keep a pleasant disposition while the demands of the work would demoralize a lesser crowd.

Everyone collaborates and works together to deliver the best possible results. There’s very little of the dreaded that’s-not-my-job sentiment at CallTower.

The CEO is highly committed and engaged. The man came out of retirement and invested a significant portion of his assets into CallTower which, considering his experience and background, says a lot about the potential of the company. While other CEOs are pulling down massive salaries and risking very little, CallTower’s CEO invests in the company in a myriad of important ways.

Phenomenal career opportunities. Promoting from within is standard practice at CallTower. In the ten months I was with the company I saw something in the neighborhood of eight to ten meaningful promotions. Out of a company of about 70 employees, this is significant.

A real focus on creating and sustaining a deliberate culture. Every company thinks it has a great culture, but when asked to define what that culture is or how it is sustained, it becomes clear that is ill-defined and organic. CallTower recognizes the value of a healthy organizational culture and works very hard to define, instill, and sustain positive values principles in how it does business.

Cons

Individual employees work together, but the departments struggle to develop and sustain cross-functional processes. As with other companies, departmental silos can be an issue.

The company is struggling with the pressure to grow fast versus the need to deliver flawlessly. The drive to grow fast enables a throw-the-spaghetti-against-the-wall-and-see-if-it-sticks sort of approach. On the other hand, the company recognizes that it operates in a competitive industry and that customers have very little appetite for half-baked solutions. Service has to be superb. CallTower is wrestling with balancing these two business drivers.

Advice to Management

Slow down when introducing new products and services. When opportunities come up, perform a solid cost/benefit analysis that recognizes the costs of implementation with the potential financial and value-add benefits. When the decision is made to move forward, do so in a methodical approach, first with pilot groups, then phases, etc.

Survey employees and act on the learnings. CallTower recognizes the high caliber of its employees but is loath to survey them for fear that it will be viewed as a cynical exercise of changes are not made based on employee feedback. This is of course a risk, but only if the company doesn’t take action based on the data gathered from the surveys. After surveying the employees, clearly communicate the results, explain how the leadership team interprets the results, describe the actions leadership plans to take based on the data, and map out how the company will measure the effectiveness of these actions.

Implement stronger retention strategies. It’s far less expensive to retain a good employee than it is to recruit, hire, train, and ramp a new employee. This is one of the areas where an employee survey can be beneficial—understand why those that stay are staying, and what may potentially cause them to leave.

"Good Fun, Bad Management"

Former Employee - Tier I in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Tier I in West Jordan, UT

I worked at CallTower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give you lunches and free soda. They also try to make room for growth for other employee's. Night shift people are left managed at night.

Cons

Key word, Night Shift is left un-managed at night. They tend to blame you for work that is not your doing. Also while there, felt profiled as a single and not married person. They have no actual HR person on site to report to if you are having HR related issues. Pay grade for the work you perform is under rated. Management is clueless when it comes to employees. Some of the employees tend to become lazy, and performance becomes poor. Left the company, and noticed that Management consistently tracked down future place of employment to destroy image

Advice to Management

Management needs to hire someone with more experience. Noticed that your Management needs some people skills. Also someone who is not judgmental would be great. CEO should home in more on the employee's to better understand lack of growth in company. Best advice I can give them, fire there management team or hire someone with more experience to manage there group

"Company in Start-Up Mode"

I have been working at CallTower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology and product.
    New opportunities with white label and channel sales.
    Exciting place to work with opportunity for growth.
    Hard-working employees - new and old.
    People very willing to help each other, even if it is not "their job".

A lot of hard work is required right now, but there is also a lot of excitement in working at a place that is growing. I would rather have too much work than not enough and look at lay-offs.

Cons

No 40 hour weeks or work/life balance.
    Processes need to be updated to match workload and efficiencies need to be found.
    Need more developers.

Comments on social media are damaging company and employee reputation. This needs to stop. Both "old-time" and new employees are hard working and in some cases process and efficiency changes need to happen.

Advice to Management

Coach employees and help them build skills instead of making them feel "not good enough". Invest in development team (more!) to get new products to market sooner as well as help improve internal workflow through technology updates.