Cambrex Reviews | Glassdoor

Cambrex President, CEO, and Director Steve Klosk
Steve Klosk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Engineer"

Pros

Good growing company through acquisitions

Cons

None to speak of now

"New motto “Cambrex- Where ambition goes to die.”"

Pros

Nice pay good bonuses but that is just about it. Continue reading if you want details. Don’t work here unless you have to.

Cons

Constantly dangles the carrot to keep employees happy but essentially full of empty promises. Read the review below for more details.

Advice to Management

Take notice. All of your loyal tenured employees are leaving. This might be a sign. You probably should look into the issues instead of painting a pretty picture. “Loyal employees are not lemons. They can’t be squeezed for everything they have and discarded.” They leave. Who am I kidding they don’t care as long as the stocks continue to rise anyone is expendable. One more thing if you have a family and want to see them do not work here. The only family that matters here is Cambrex.

3. "Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Point, NC

I worked at Cambrex full-time

Pros

Okay pay, okay benefits.

Cons

Greedy, deceptive, lazy, corrupt management team

Advice to Management

The only way to save this company would be to fire the whole management team and start over. HR very corrupt.

"HR run amok"

Former Employee - R&D Scientist in Charles City, IA
    Former Employee - R&D Scientist in Charles City, IA

I worked at Cambrex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a good safety culture.

Cons

There was big trouble my first week during orientation when I was informed by HR that my compensation would be cut by over 10% due to a tax issue. I asked my tax accountant who literally laughed out loud at their explanation. Nothing made sense about this. BS move after I transplanted my family to the middle of nowhere Iowa for the job. Instead of suing, I decided to leave the company at the first opportunity. I soon find out they had pulled similar stunts to two of my colleagues in my department, costing them thousands of dollars as well.

During my short tenure, HR issues continued. They shorted my PTO, mishandled my benefits and even "lost" my paycheck once. Due to everyone's complaints, they had the entire site sign an acknowledgement saying HR can disregard any policy at will, dictate new policy at whim and essentially do whatever they want. That didn't go over well either. What a joke of a company, very shady. Employee beware.

Advice to Management

Stop lying.

"Chemist II"

Current Employee - Chemist II in Charles City, IA
    Current Employee - Chemist II in Charles City, IA

I have been working at Cambrex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing company, personal learning and growth opportunities, safe environment, continuously working with new products, instruments and methods

Cons

Management/Supervisor turnover. Planning inadequate for such an aggressive schedule.

Advice to Management

Look at your most dedicated employees and move them into the positions they desire.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles City, IA

I have been working at Cambrex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are nice. Relationship between operators and engineers is excellent. Training was adequate enough to inform you on what to expect. Plant is very clean and the site is constantly growing.

Cons

Management is rather distant. Hours can be unreasonable at times. Site as a whole seems understaffed. Work can be rather boring and very repetitive at times.

Advice to Management

With such a booming business, there is a need to hire more staff in all areas to keep up with demand. Especially since most of the issues around the plant are a result of lack of manpower.

"Poor production management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles City, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles City, IA

I worked at Cambrex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good and supportive coworkers to work with.

Cons

The pilot plant management sometimes was unbelievable, the manager herself barely has any management skill whatsoever and is rude and disrespectful at all times. If you do have to come here, do not come to the pilot plant area.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect people since people should be the most valuable assets.

8. "Process Engineer"

I have been working at Cambrex full-time

Pros

Growing company, decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Culture, Management, Expectations, Training, Training, Training, Management.

Advice to Management

Slow down.

"Employee Beware--don't come here if you have the choice"

I worked at Cambrex full-time

Pros

Benefits were at least industry-standard (401k, vacation, gym membership).
    Coworkers could be very helpful, open, and friendly.

Cons

The Charles City location has trouble attracting and retaining talent, which should be an indication of employee satisfaction (part of the reason also is that it is in a pretty remote area of Iowa). However, the plant management does not really value or treat fairly the employees they do have. In my time there I saw discriminatory practices, in who was hired and how workers were treated on the job. This is part of the reason I left.

Another reason is it was not a pleasant work environment. The facility was dated. People were expected to put in overtime routinely. Jobs were consolidated and given to just one person, etc.

Advice to Management

Get rid of people in the organization--especially those in HR--who practice discriminatory hiring and treatment of workers. This is beyond unprofessional (it is illegal actually), and makes Cambrex look really bad to other employees (and investors if they were fully aware of the problem).

"PSG Chemist II"

Former Employee - PSG Chemist II in Charles City, IA
    Former Employee - PSG Chemist II in Charles City, IA

I worked at Cambrex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience working under pressure with ridiculous methods that are not psg designed for, but you have to do it because "that is the way it is". If you have prior experiences with their methods, then you should not have a problem.

Cons

Management does very little in terms of training. They get by with minimal effort only what is required by GMP. They do not go above and beyond like what normal pharmaceutical companies would do to make processes efficient and robust; even though the site is more in transition from chemical manufacturing to pharmaceutical .

NEW PEOPLE - Be very careful when dealing with Cambrex. Ask questions relating to the effectiveness of the area your going into and how do things really work on a day to day basis. Read the following reviews. Don't assume anything. If you see a problem, go to management right away.

Advice to Management

Better communication with your workers. Don't wait for them to tell you everything, rather go to them and get the truth right away. The workers are under pressure to get things finished and would rather leave or expect somebody of higher experience to follow up.