Cardinal Intellectual Property Reviews | Glassdoor

Frank Nicholas

"Sales Team"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Evanston, IL

I worked at Cardinal Intellectual Property full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team of people at Cardinal is great. This position served as a great platform for me to jump to the next level from. Out team leader was a great person, he was always taking into account everyone's needs professionally and personally...FLEXIBILITY! I left this job because I moved out-of-state to be with my family which enabled me to look for, find, and secure a new position with an office more local to me. My experience at Cardinal has proven to be a definite big time plus when it came to my professional growth.

Cons

Office space is brand new, but a bit tight on space. Was a bit further from my home than ideal, but the transportation reimbursement was a nice perk.

Advice to Management

miss u guys!

2. "remote analyst"

I have been working at Cardinal Intellectual Property full-time

Pros

apparently can make a lot of money if you're good, apparently

Cons

too many expectations. pay will not feel fair for the amount of work put in

"I like my job, I think it is fun"

Current Employee - Patent Analyst in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Patent Analyst in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Cardinal Intellectual Property full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Production based. Very engaging work for problem solvers. I like the challenge that each case brings. I also like the relationship I have with the Project Managers and other analysts - the team oriented atmosphere seems to promote hard work and generates a lot of fun and laughs. I am excited to go to work every day which is something I have not said about some other jobs I've had. Number one best thing about this job is the flexibility, can't beat it.

Cons

Takes time to get up to speed. Standards are high but not unreasonable. Work requires a lot of critical thinking and can be exhausting at times, but the compensation makes this worth my time and energy.

Advice to Management

We have a summer picnic and winter holiday party, but a few more out of the office social events would be nice.

"Patent analyst"

Former Employee - Patent Analyst in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Patent Analyst in Evanston, IL

I worked at Cardinal Intellectual Property full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice view out the window. HR was prompt regarding insurance & various other paperwork. Might make sense if you were attending law school/planning on becoming a patent attorney.

Cons

They don't actually have time to train anyone, since they can't slow done the continuous flow of cases from their contracts. Most of their new hires have never worked with IP before, and are either students fresh out of college or various professionals who were laid off or otherwise had a falling out from their main careers...in other words, people with no long-term career plans. The result is a disorganized workflow and high turnover rate. It seems a matter of routine for people to just walk out, and they continuously interview for replacements. There is a disconnect between HR, the admins and the actual attorneys you work with. CEO Frank seems like a solid professional but as an analyst you won't interact with him at all. There is no real advancement, no such thing as a "senior analyst", you can just make more money by doing more cases but there is a limit to how many you can feasibly do in a given week. HR will promise you the moon in terms of flexibility and payout on eventual higher-value cases, but reality is quite different when you actually work with the attorneys and administrators. If you go in full-time there is a minimum number of cases you are expected to do, which becomes clear well after you join, and if you have a deficit they'll expect you to make it up by taking on more cases per week. There are no transferable skills to learn here beyond some specialized database searching. This is NOT an introduction to the world of IP or patent prosecution.

In short, this is a dead-end career move for anyone with a STEM background. If you're in law school or plan to be a patent attorney then maybe it is worth a few months, but after that you can leave and they won't bat an eye when you do and simply replace you with some newly-graduated engineering major with 0 work experience. If you put in 40-50 hours a week you might make between 50-65k annually, if you're lucky. If you're unemployed with bills looming that might seem tempting but this is not a long-term option. There is a small minority of analysts with backgrounds in law who make more, which is natural since they don't require as much training to prepare the required legal documents.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring a multitude of inexperienced analysts that fumble around half-trained and organized around your arbitrary queue system, hire a good 6-8 and actually invest in training them in precedent cases and various legal scenarios that might play out when they address claims. They might be inclined to stay longer and the quality of their work will probably improve.

6. "Patent Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst

I have been working at Cardinal Intellectual Property full-time

Pros

Been here for 7 years, enjoy what I do. Good relationships with others. Solid pay.

Cons

Work is challenging. Work from home can get lonely.

"Hard No."

Pros

the president cares a lot, generally a good group of coworkers, the views from the office windows.

Cons

Office environment is terrible, and everyone either hates or fears HR. Office hasn't been remodeled since it was acquired and isn't high functioning or cohesive. Compensation isn't competitive.

Advice to Management

Provide outlets for employee concerns to be addressed without retaliation. Invest in your people and your space and they might actually care about investing back in you.

8. "Senior Systems Administrator"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Evanston, IL

I worked at Cardinal Intellectual Property (More than a year)

Pros

Active Environment, Nice colleagues.

Cons

small to medium business.

"Client Operations Associate"

I have been working at Cardinal Intellectual Property full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company allows some employees to work remotely. Some supervisory individuals are very knowledgeable, considerate and talented.

Cons

The president does not seem to recognize that the employees are human beings. The pay is practically minimum wage.

"Don't do it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I worked at Cardinal Intellectual Property full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transportation reimbursement for a set amount received monthly.

Cons

All of the reviews from others are correct - stay away

"Associate"

Former Employee - Client Operations Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Operations Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cardinal Intellectual Property full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Al's beef is across the street. Absolutely no pros other than the location and being near the metra. Convenient to walk to and from restaurants, as well. Right in the heart of Evanston.

Cons

Terrible management, unprofessional, belittles employees in front of others. Absolutely would not recommend this company to anyone. Pay is beyond terrible for the amount of work expected to do, as well as, the hours expected to work

Advice to Management

Get a new job because being in management is something I've asked myself everyday how the management at Cardinal got to the positions they did.