Cellular World Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • As far as the authorized retailers go, good pay (in 3 reviews)

• Laid back and competitive work environment; not too easy not too stressful (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • All of this and you have to deal with difficult customer service issues (in 3 reviews)

• Too much micro managing from upper management (in 3 reviews)

1. "Mostly positive but departure was interesting."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Cellular World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Duties included sales of cell phones as well as other things... It was a fast-paced job and brought a lot of energy to our location.

The manager at the location we had was very good and listen to us and worked with us and tried to make things happen which would benefit the entire work crew and location.

Cons

A new manager came in and replaced the great manager that we had... This new one who for all intents and purposes did not have any managerial experience or if he did had the absolute least amount of training, because he was nothing short of a tyrant!

Some of the ways he was describing things and doing things was not professional at all.

It was getting to the point where I absolutely just did not want to show up to work at all because he would think of any reason at all to make your day go in a negative way.

When the previous store setup got bought out by another company, it seems like all the operation aspect of things went backwards.

For example as far as keeping track of cell phone inventory, all we would do is take a scan gun which was attached to the computer and scan all the barcodes to confirm the inventory. The new method was completely the opposite and extremely time-consuming and not thought out well at all.

The cash register system and software from the previous employer was extremely easy to use, this new software was an absolute joke! All the things we had from the previous employer made things so much more streamlined and the new programs and items brought in made everything go in reverse!

Advice to Management

Listen to the worker bees that are having to deal with bad management and either improve or get rid of the problem. It was to the point that I was so disgusted with management, I actually tried to reason with them but they did not want to listen.

It was with great disappointment... But a little bit of happiness... When I quit on the morning before Black Friday..... And let him have to deal with all the people that he was going to throw to me.

2. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Eustis, FL
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Eustis, FL

I worked at Cellular World full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall a very easy job, once you get past rude customers.

Cons

Refused to promote due to being a woman.
    Commission structure made you pay too much in taxes.

Advice to Management

*TRAIN YOUR AM's to trust in their female reps that are jumping hoops to keep the store running, and are your top reps.

3. "Show more appreciation for your "valued" emplpyees"

I have been working at Cellular World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent hourly for being a commissioned position. Discount on rate plan. At&t is always changing so it never gets boring. Goals are pretty attainable. Job security as long as you hit your numbers.

Cons

After they sold most of their locations to a bigger retailer it seems they lost sight of the people who help make the company. There is ZERO motivation to be a top seller. You get a pat on the back but if you slip even once they are right back on you micro-managing. Once you cap out on your bonus there is very little motivation to sell more. They also change the pay at a moment's notice. Every change I've seen has been a decrease.

Advice to Management

Bring back Spiffs worth working for. More contests and show more appreciation for the people who help make this company grow. Reward your top sellers with more than a pat on the back. Bragging rights only go so far.

4. "Cellular World AT&T Sales Represenative"

Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Cellular World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Alot of money to be made.
    Flexible scheduling.
    Pretty easy to sell for att since they are the premier of cell phone companies.

Cons

long work days if slow traffic.
    Work on holidays and weekends.

Advice to Management

Be more personable.

5. "Sales rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative Consultant in Cottondale, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative Consultant in Cottondale, AL

I worked at Cellular World (Less than a year)

Pros

Base pay plus commissions and bonuses
     Homey style customer service

Cons

Pressured selling, not enough corporate involvement

6. "They don't care"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brandon, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brandon, MS

I worked at Cellular World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with some amazing people who needed a job just like me.

Cons

The company cares only about profits. They don't care about lower level management. They don't care about sales reps. And they certainly don't care about their customers.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training your managers and reps to take good care of your customers and you won't have to continually be searching for the next great hire.

7. "Great job to start at if never been in commission based job."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Cellular World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are awesome to work with and the location is great . The pay is also good when you hit your numbers.

Cons

As any other job just annoying customers . There are really no cons if you have good people you work with everything will be ok.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

8. "Sales"

Pros

Good entry level sales job with room for advancment.
    Easy job with minimal stress.
    Vacation time is fairly quick to earn even for new employees

Cons

Pay isn't the greatest and its not very challenging.
    You only get 7.25 for pto

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within

9. "Good Experience"

I worked at Cellular World full-time

Pros

Good work environment for entry level sales. Company ran like a small business and encouraged ethical practices.

Cons

Needed structure for sales organization to improve production. Training program was lacking internally and relied on store leadership which led to inconsistant results.

Advice to Management

Invest in developing company culture, training and development programs to keep top talent.

10. "Watch your pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Cellular World (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the customers and the experience of selling a number of products. The location I was in had decent traffic, but it was easy to get add ons.

Cons

They will short you if they get the opportunity. Managers only get $5 an hour after 40 hours, and they will steal your last month's bonus if you put in your 2 weeks.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your customers and employees and stop looking at them as dollar signs. At least act like you care about others.