Cetera Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Cetera Financial Group CEO Robert Moore
Robert Moore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly work environment and community (in 5 reviews)

• Friendly staff, great work hours/work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Unorganized upper management, can't even tell you if you're eligible for bonuses or where you stand in the company (in 4 reviews)

• No growth opportunities - flat management structure (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great people and great opportunities!"

Current Employee - Shared Services
    Current Employee - Shared Services

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When it comes to the people, Cetera is top notch. I always love coming in and seeing my team every day and would consider them my friends rather than simply coworkers. I truly feel like I have been given so many opportunities to learn in this role. While we have been through some more trying times recently, I do believe we are making significant changes for the better. The leadership team is focused on the employees and on being a more open and communicative leadership function moving forward. They have started having more frequent all employee calls and leadership email updates. I am proud to be a part of my team and this company.

Cons

In my experience, Cetera as a whole has embodied the saying “the only constant is change”. We have undergone a change in CEO, integration to one shared service model for all of our locations, and a shift to an advice centric experience all in the short time I have been with the company. This can be a bit exhausting to some, but I love it as the constant changes have given me the chance to make significant impact to our processes and try on a bunch of hats in my role to try to adapt.

Advice to Management

Keep prioritizing company wide and department wide employee updates!

2. "If you are a workaholic, this is the place for you"

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time

Pros

financial stability, diverse employees, room to grow

Cons

you basically don't have a life.

Advice to Management

they should hire a product manager

3. "Great people and opportunities for those willing to do the work"

Current Employee - General and Operations Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - General and Operations Manager in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. I love the fact that even though its big company you get a family feel with the people you work with and its easier to make suggestions that can get acted on without having to go through a bunch of red tape like you may have to at other firms. The company has a number of opportunities however you will have to be proactive about pursuing them. Love the fact that you can pursue your finra licenses and grow your knowledge about the financial industry.

Cons

Systems are in the process of being updated this was definitely needed. They have been slowly rolling out new systems recently which is good. If you live in Des Moines you may miss out on opportunities for advancement that require moving locations if you are like me and not open to relocating just yet. Firm needs to be willing to hire more staff where needed.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the staff and associates informed about changes happening in the firm. Look for more ways to develop the talent of associates. Would love to see more assistant from HR on developing career paths for various departments etc.

4. "Great people, opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Talent & Organiztional Development Consultant in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great People: I've really enjoyed the team mentality at Cetera - and not just on my own team in HR. I've been fortunate to work with fun, smart, and hard-working people in IT and marketing, for example, to launch new programs and tools for employees (i.e. new intranet called "The Connection," new HR system, new Facebook-like program called Celebrate Great! where employees can send eCards and recognize others on a "Wall of Fame").
    - Career Growth: I recently moved into a higher level position which is expanding my knowledge, skillset, and experience in other sides of our business that I know will help me achieve my long-term career goals. I’ve never had the amount of career growth at any company as much as I’ve had at Cetera.
    - Constantly Focused on Improving: I've been at Cetera for over 2 years and have seen the company grow and evolve tremendously. While change can been challenging, it's been a great opportunity for me to work with my team to implement new ideas and help our company continue improving its efficiency, employee programs, and performance.
    - Moving in the Right Direction: I feel optimistic about our direction and the recent improvements made to in our technology, how we do business, employee program offerings and culture as a whole. The progress I've seen already, frankly, is exciting and inspiring. The hard work has been worth it.

I've been grateful to work here and highly recommend anyone apply who isn't afraid to roll up their sleeves and work hard alongside bright people.

Cons

Changes in the financial regulatory environment have created unique challenges for Cetera and employees in order to comply with new standards.

Advice to Management

- Continue supporting new programs to develop/engage employees and support our advisors. We've made a lot of progress together and it's so key that we keep up the momentum.
    - Continue providing updates to employees on our All-Employee calls on the state of our business, mission, and vision. It's helpful to hear about improvements being made to our technology and advancements in creating an advice-centric experience for our clients.

5. "Supervision Specialist"

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that I work with are friendly and very helpful. It is a very cooperative environment.

Cons

The organizational structure can be confusing because are the different B/Ds that makeup Cetera.

"Work expectations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Cetera Financial Group full-time

Pros

You will probably be assigned several peoples's jobs when they quit due to overload or when restructuring cuts staff.

Cons

Karoshi: death from overwork. Poor morale.

Advice to Management

Hope for luck that onerous regulations will not be required.

7. "Cetera - St. Cloud"

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time

Pros

Close knit family type atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes takes a while to get through the proper channels when working on a project

8. "Insurance department"

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time

Pros

nice workplace, friendly co-workers

Cons

not compatible salaries, crazy workload

Advice to Management

treat employees more like clients

"Ceteraism"

Current Employee - Accountant in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time

Pros

Sociable colleagues, nice view of the ocean if your department's windows face the west, good lunch spots nearby, easy access to interstates, PTO, and a match of up to 4% on 401K

Cons

Extremely high turnover in upper management & within subordinates in multiple departments; even the offshore company Cetera uses to process accounts is experiencing high turnover all the way in India. As a result, departments are relying heavily on the use of consultants and contract workers to accomplish tasks involving highly sensitive data. Procedures change hands continually, & Ceter's labor expenditures are abhorrent as they deal with significant overtime and training costs to counter the personnel turnover. There are major issues impeding effective interdepartmental communication; this is likely because main operations of the company are in different states (& countries) and the technology is extremely outdated. The main software programs used glitch nonstop. There was an issue with incorrect W-2 statements this year and the company requested that affected employees delay filing taxes. They've not quite finished a computer refresh project, but it's fortunate that it's finally happening because the old IBM Thinkpads crash nonstop. The network was recently down for three days, but employees were never informed what caused the failure of the network (or the W-2s). Just Google Cetera Financial Group in the news. We're not told of any of the lawsuits or millions the company pays out. Any business decisions resulting from them reorganizing as a reactive measure are explained to us in a sugarcoated way, completely ignoring the true underlying reason for the decision (despite the truth being in news articles). For those who read up on the company they work for, it can be awkward in meetings. Little mobility in this company. Don't expect years of loyalty to be rewarded in the slightest bit. I've only worked here for three years, but I know several people who have been here much longer with no reward for their great work.

Advice to Management

Update your software so it is integrated with custodians of accounts you service. Operate within SEC rules so you stop bleeding millions in fines. Take care of your employers so your turnover isn't frighteningly high.

10. "Looking for a career? Join the team!"

Current Employee - Management in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Management in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

St Cloud has a great culture and family feel.
    Benefits are great, 160 hours PTO to start (pro-rated based on start date)
    Full Medical/Dental benefits
    Flexible Spending Accounts
    Subsidized parking
    Employee Assistance Program
    Investment Support from our in house advisors
    Relaxed dress code
    Secure facility
    Career opportunities abound! There are a lot of people who have been here for 15+ years and also a lot that have been here 1 year or less so there's a good mix of experience. There are many opportunities to move internally both laterally and advancing.

Cons

Getting our name out in the local community has been a little tough which can make it difficult to find candidates but we're working on that!

Advice to Management

Consider more HR support in this location, we have the need and the staff to support a full time HR person.
    Try to spend more time interacting with employees on all floors at all levels.