Church World Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
John L. McCullough

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • interacted with a variety of refugees from various cultural backgrounds (in 8 reviews)

• Extremely interesting and fulfilling work, dynamic work environment, great colleagues (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The work environment became so toxic that I was literally unable to focus on my work or perform my job to the best of my ability (in 3 reviews)

• Frequent change and updates for organization, procedures and local management could be distracting and discouraging at times (in 2 reviews)

1. "Case Worker"

I worked at Church World Service full-time

Pros

Absolutely loved the clients I worked with.

Cons

Lack of organization in the office.

2. "Case Specialist"

I have been working at Church World Service full-time

Pros

It's a job with a purpose

Cons

It is very low pay.

"Non Profits means no money"

I worked at Church World Service full-time

Pros

Worthy cause helping 3rd world countries

Cons

Non Profits do not pay well what so ever. This particular one is constantly laying off employees. Fortunately when I worked there I wasn't a part of the layoffs.

4. "Anonymous"

Pros

Diverse staff who have diverse professional achievements, yearly conferences, you will assist vulnerable individuals, working with likeminded people is a plus. They have offices internationally, but upward mobility is not common. Work is not routine and you will be challenged and will grow as a person from the experience in assisting others, but pay is less than other resettlement agencies.

Cons

Management at the highest levels in Headquarters is the reason for high turnover, poor management, negative atmosphere in NY Headquarters, low morale and discontent is evident within an unhappy staff, staff are over worked - and under appreciated. High number of people being laid off and resigning due to poor leadership and poor financial mismanagement. Expect to take a step back in your career.

5. "Refugee Resettlement Case Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jupiter, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jupiter, FL

I have been working at Church World Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pros are your colleagues

Cons

Expect to be overworked and underpaid.

Advice to Management

Pay more!

6. "Employment Specialist intern"

Pros

Great environment - everyone is more than willing to help each other out if needed to make sure our clients get the best help

Cons

A lot of wasted time - socializing is nice in a professional environment, but not at the expense of not getting your work done

Advice to Management

More space! Work productivity seems to be negatively impacted by such cramped space. Also a clearer track/more opportunities for upward mobility.

"Case worker"

I worked at Church World Service full-time

Pros

Very interesting colleagues - early career Americans, some who were passionate about resettlement and protection issues and very talented and motivated colleagues from Kenya

Travel opportunities, several weeks in each refugee camp setting for processing

Opportunity to get to know local translators

Intense experience hearing inspiring stories of courage and sacrifice from refugees

Cons

Emotionally challenging work

Lack of consistent schedule with travel

"I regret working for this company"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Church World Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping people and see the happiness in their eyes

Cons

the worst management, frequent change of employees. Plus when you work for them you go down under poverty line.

Advice to Management

do not even think of applying. I wish there is minus starts in the rating scale

"Can't get out of their own way..."

I worked at Church World Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization has a great philosophy on how to meet the needs of the world's poorest people. The organization is very progressive and serves as a strong voice for progressive Christian denominations. It's work on the ground is phenomenal. Unfortunately, the management of the organization overshadows its true potential as a great organization.

Cons

Through several rough years and staff cuts, the leadership of both the CEO and CFO has remained the same. At no point did anyone think that perhaps top leadership was to blame for the shortcomings of the organization and their fiscal issues. Instead, they cut staff, placed more work on the shoulders of the existing staff and expected to right the ship. This philosophy thus far as proven to be wrong. The CEO and CFO continue to be employed and the ship is still sinking. They refuse to hear and implement the ideas of front line fundraising staff, make decisions without the input of those who they effect and play favorites with a select few. They do not pay employees anywhere near competitive salaries in any of the markets where they have offices, yet expect 3 times the amount of work. They continue to put all of their hopes in a failing fundraising system and stamp out any innovation. Yet, those at the top of the organization stay comfortable while the consequences of years of bad decision making are felt by those on the front lines.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for the poor decisions you've made. CEO and CFO should step down and hand over the reigns to people who can fix the mess you've created.

"Resettlement"

I worked at Church World Service full-time

Pros

Noble mission and engaged staff. Decent benefits

Cons

Very poor leadership and low wages