Cover image for ClassDojo

70 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Contractor

Amazing engineering culture

Aug 20, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Engineering focused - Quality over deadlines - Community - Engineering is part of the product design - Not over-hiring - Growth focused

Cons

- Mentorship for lower level employees

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Caring, mission-driven team that punches above its weight

Sep 30, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Everyone here cares about what we build, ownership is strong - Really high degree of trust across roles - If there's something I'm passionate about, whether technical or otherwise, I'm given the space and support I need to pursue it. This holds true for company-wide improvements as well as personal learning goals - The team here is very smart. We consistently serve & support a userbase way larger than our company size would suggest, and the code quality/level of engineering discussion is quite high, with a focus on continual improvement -Tech is modern, and fullstack roles promote learning across the stack - Really strong sense of candor, great fora to share feedback & appreciations - Healthy respect for work/life balance - It is a really fun group of people to work with - Working in education is sweet - our teacher, parent, and family networks are strong and give great feedback

Cons

- Our ambition is greater than our size, and we need to hire more/add more team structure. Pretty standard growing pains - Current product direction is focused on large-scale growth & monetization, which will be great for company health/value, but misses focus on supporting classrooms. Worry that our ambition & student focus could come at the cost of compromising our educational mission, which is why most of us chose to work at dojo

2 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the ClassDojo team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0

6+ Years an still learning/growing

Oct 1, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

ClassDojo has a special culture, in which everyone is not only encouraged to grow and learn but also the company gives you the support you need to grow as an engineer. Most of the Teams are collaborative, all Teams I worked on work hard unblocking others and giving them the support they need. There are even teams that find ways to pair/mob programming even during the pandemic. I've been here for more than 6 years, and I'm still learning a lot from the amazing teammates we have and from the exponential growth we're having now.

Cons

Nothing serious, right now there are some challenges because of how we need to grow as a company. So that's a good problem to have :)

Be the first to find this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee

ClassDojo is a fast growing company with tons of growth opportunities and a great mission

Sep 21, 2021 - Software Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* a great mission! "make every kid's education an education that they love" * well-funded y-combinator company * growing incredibly fast * has tons of growth opportunities for engineers and anyone really * remote first

Cons

* extremely fast growth can sometimes be chaotic * remote first isn't for everybody

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Best place I've ever worked

Jul 31, 2017 - Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

• Meaningful work Any piece of code or design you touch on has an impact on hundreds of thousands of people. This means little thrown away work, and what you're working on is always relevant. Most importantly the love you hear from teachers, parents, and students whenever you ship something could melt Ron Swanson's heart. • No gates or closed doors. Company strategy, prioritization, and which projects to work on are decided by the team. Everyone is approachable - have a question about company strategy? Grab a coffee with the CEO. Disagree with the direction of a project? Pull people into a room and discuss it. Have an idea thats brilliant (ie the Jump to Conclusions Mat)? Share it and get great feedback. • Personal growth/ humanity/ the team Education budgets, personal development courses, and sponsored classes - its the Learning Tower of Pisa over here. People genuinely care about your well being and want to see you succeed, plus there's perks like unlimited sick days, catered meals, visiting doggos, and flexible hours. • The love I said it before but worth saying again - the love from users is overwhelming - unlike any other company. We get hand-written letters, personal notes, and stories from fans. Yeah sure, business accounting software needs making too, but I'll work on the stuff that’s making the world a better place for teachers, parents, and students.

Cons

• School seasons Usage fluctuates with the school year, so certain times of year tend to be more hectic.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work!

Dec 1, 2018 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- There are very few sacred cows, lots of good self-reflection, and continuous improvement throughout the company. The company bounces back from mistakes really well. - Every year it seems to find more and more success and is handling growth about as well as to be expected. - It's a good mix of relaxed and focused.

Cons

- the office neighborhood isn't that great - it's startup, so if you're used to fading into the background in a huge company, it's worth noting that that's going to be pretty impossible at ClassDojo

8 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Growth mindset in a high growth company

Jul 13, 2017 - Senior IOS Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Sam and Liam have truly created a remarkable company. In the last three years, I've seen the company grow from a few thousand to several million daily active users. ClassDojo now reaches over 90% of K-8 schools in the US and nearly every country on the face of the earth. You would be hard pressed to find another for-profit company that actually has the real-life impact that ClassDojo has. Over the years, I've been nearly brought to tears at work as I have read messages from mothers who work three jobs and tell us that if it wasn't for our services, they would have no idea what was going on in the life of their child. Or the countless teachers who message in to say that ClassDojo is the reason they chose not to quit teaching. Or the messages from parents who are deployed in the military abroad and who share their love, via the app, to students and teachers. If you are looking to do good in the world and prove a business model, ClassDojo is the place for you. One thing I have been consistently surprised by is Sam and Liam's sincerity when it comes to the culture of the team and mission. They both desire to see a team that is ownership-driven and healthy for the employees and the company. Every employee is asked to make the hard decisions in the day to day, I've been encouraged (and even taken the opportunity) to challenge the CEO, even point out his failures and encourage his growth, right to his face. There is no pretense, there is just a sincere focus on "candor over harmony" and Sam and Liam stand by it. In terms of benefits, the unlimited vacation is actually unlimited vacation. The people are an absolute delight to work with and the work-life balance is quite healthy. Now there was a problem with compensation, but after quite a lengthy review process, ClassDojo has figured it out. I can confidently say that, while they aren't able to compete against the tech giants, ClassDojo compensates quite impressively for a company of their size and resources.

Cons

Sam sometimes has a laser focus on a particular issue and loses sight of other things until they become quite large. Compensation is one example of that, another is hiring. The company, for quite a long time, has had a strong view on only hiring highly qualified, senior engineers. But without providing enough resources to shore up recruiting or providing top 10% salaries, hiring stagnated. To make things worse, the work itself is actually not really all that challenging. It's a great place if you are a junior or mid-level engineer, but if you are senior or higher, you may find the engineering challenges boring. The flat structure of the company also makes managerial opportunities limited. The previous requirement of "senior engineers only" meant that the existing engineers didn't have younger coworkers to mentor or technically challenging work to chew on. Everything is kind of a nice mediocre difficulty coming in at a unpredictable pace. The office, while nice, was absolutely not designed for the size of the team. It was fine when the team was < 15 people. But having more than 30 people share two bathrooms is an absolute nightmare. The building itself also has terrible ventilation and can have +/- 10 degree shifts if you go from one corner of the building to another (you can feel it even if you walk the 100 ft from the front of the building to the back). In 70 degree weather, the area where the engineers sit can sometimes feel like it hits well over 80 degrees while upstairs and the front of the building is a reasonable temperature. 80 degrees with 20 sweating engineers also means it starts to smell. The street ClassDojo is on is also a nightmare. Since it is an alleyway, all sorts of incredibly illicit and salacious activities occur on a daily basis. Pimps, drug dealers, public defecation, public sex, drug busts are just a few of the not-so-rare occurrences that happen in the tucked away corner of Tehama. But really, these kinds of things are common in the city of San Francisco, so it is hard to say of Tehama is any different. All in all, the real problems facing ClassDojo are entirely solvable. The leadership is aware of them and is currently in the process of tackling them. The other issue, namely the office, is not entirely within the control of the company and more-or-less a larger societal ill. While ClassDojo is definitely well intentioned, this does not mean that they always get it right the first, second, or even third time. However, they do eventually get it right.

10 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Huge impact, small + highly talented team

Jul 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company is still small (<30 people), but supporting millions of students, teachers, and parents every day. Each person who joins has the mandate to make a huge impact in every way they can. Founders are brilliant, supportive, and operate a very flat culture. They are multidisciplinary and get into the weeds. They are the type of founders you want to go to the mat for.

Cons

At time company can feel unorganized, but this is pretty common at any fast growing company. Growing pains are common, but are openly discussed company-wide so that they can be addressed.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cool product - extremely hard to monetize

May 10, 2019 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Young and smart team - Cool product and features

Cons

- Shady SF office location with lots of homeless people around. At times, it can feel unsafe. Also the office space is small. - There's a few arrogant members. - Pretty hostile and unprofessional environment. Get things done cheaply and fast with little attention to code quality. If you are parents with kid, look elsewhere. This will drain all your energy. - Product is always free for teachers, and only target a subset of kids / schools from pre-k to elementary. It has a hard time trying to persuade parents paying. There is no incentive to pay for this product. Why do I need to pay extra while the core free app can do almost everything for free. Aside, there is no dedicated spot for ad revenue.

13 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0

Amazing place to work!

Jul 25, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- You get to work with some incredible people. Everyone is intelligent and focused on their jobs. - There are a ton of interesting problems to work on and solve together. - Teachers, parents, and students absolutely love this product.

Cons

- Things can feel scrappy at times, but I think that's part of working at startup.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews