Clickstop Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Outstanding CEO"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Urbana, IA
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Urbana, IA

I worked at Clickstop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The CEO is an outstanding human being.

Cons

The office is in a very remote area. So, commutes can be long. And eating out requires traveling to other towns in the area.

"Not as advertised"

I worked at Clickstop full-time

Pros

Top-notch facility, hot meals and snacks available on-site, impressive benefits, some of the BEST coworkers

Cons

Not long after I started, I said to a coworker, “Clickstop is seriously the best job I’ve ever had”—from the wealth of encouragement and professionalism from others, to impressive benefits.

Being new herself, she echoed my statement.

Then we pondered briefly: Were we missing something? Or was this, indeed, for real?

Less than two years later, neither of us would work there anymore.

Among Clickstop’s numerous self-nominated awards, the company has—for several years running—been recognized as one of the Coolest Places to Work in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area. Most recently, it landed at the top of the large category list, compiled by the Corridor Business Journal. That status couldn’t be more wrong. Clickstop continues to ride a reputation established long ago.

Clickstop’s “award-winning culture” is touted all over its website. But don’t bother watching the YEARS OLD videos via the “Culture” tab. What may have once been a unique, somewhat effortless cultural evolution has become a showy obsession and is forced down employees’ throats. Just listen to many of the newer videos posted on Facebook and you’ll quickly notice the canned comments. Certain words and phrases are fed daily to employees—so much so that people begin to sound robotic in their responses about why they love their jobs and the company.

I would like to hear more explanations of HOW Clickstop teaches you to be successful in both your personal and business lives, HOW the company cares about you, HOW you’re motivated to work hard every day, HOW the environment is fun, challenging, and exciting, or HOW Clickstop provides opportunities for advancement and growth? And what exactly does it mean to be an ENGAGED employee at Clickstop?

As other reviews here have alluded, drink the Kool-Aid or you’re out.

Leaders at that place should be absolutely embarrassed by their latest business practices. I have not been shy in spreading the word about what goes on behind those seemingly welcome doors. I’ve even considered removing any reference to Clickstop on my resume, but the noticeable employment gap might be a red flag to future hiring managers.

Clickstop’s facility is awesome, as are many of the people. But you really have to watch your back. Accountability is preached, but some people are held to higher standards than others. The environment screams high school at times—there are bullies, “teacher’s” (owner’s) pets, exclusive groups and gatherings (hence our running joke: “Cliquestop”), and downright lazy people who are MIA or goofing off for a good chunk of every day.

“Anonymous” employee surveys and supposedly “safe” environments where managers are encouraged to offer honest feedback? Not by far. Expect negative comments to be investigated, and possibly result in a personal confrontation or termination. Clickstop’s response to the review titled “Lots of Layoffs” (Sept. 25) is misleading. “Layoffs” was the wrong word choice. Employees are constantly being FIRED for vague reasons, and the turnover rate for a company that size has to be ridiculous at this point.

My hiring process took three months. THREE months. And that was not uncommon for any candidate applying at the time. Managers were EXTREMELY thorough during interviews and on-site visits to ensure potential employees were also a good cultural fit; I even had to wow the owner. And after I accepted an offer, my email inbox was flooded with welcoming notes from folks who knew my name and start date. Such a cool personal touch that left me already feeling part of the Clickstop family. What company does that?!

Then suddenly, everything changed. People started getting hired quickly—many being brought in on referrals from existing employees—and were fired just the same, before they had a chance to settle in or prove themselves.

Amidst all of that, you would think there’d be a formal termination process in place to ensure employees are well-informed in advance about whatever expectations they aren’t meeting. Not as of a few months ago. To be left scratching your head as to why you no longer have a job should NEVER be the case, in my opinion, especially for a company that claims to appreciate and value every employee. That scenario has been happening far too often there and is extremely frustrating, upsetting, and disrespectful to the employee and his/her family.

While I understand that all businesses endure growing pains, and nothing can ever stay “the way things were,” I truly hope Clickstop starts to reflect on its roots and makes changes needed to tame the monster its become.

Until then, do not be fooled by fun Facebook posts, awards, and whatever else. Clickstop is currently not all smiles and rainbows.

"Not What It Seems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IA

I worked at Clickstop full-time

Pros

Company-paid health insurance, salad bar option for lunch, some people there are truly great.

Cons

Many things about this company are not as they seem. From their Core Values to their obsession with nominating themselves for local business awards to prove how “cool” they are.

Promotions are awarded to those who can weave the Core Values into every conversation rather than based on job experience. Actual experience is rarely valued or rewarded. Therefore, you have people in leadership positions who’ve never managed people before and aren’t great at it. Titles are handed out like Cracker Jack prizes.

Conversely, people are randomly plucked from their office jobs and transferred to work in Manufacturing for months at a time, which is not what people signed on for. Just one of the ways leadership flexes their muscles under the guise of Core Values, and employees must be on board with it or they won’t have a job anymore.

Once leadership decides you aren’t exemplifying the Core Values, they are used against you to get rid of you. I know of multiple people who have been terminated without being provided specific reasons of how they weren’t aligning with the Core Values or suggestions on how they could improve. The employees are doing a great job until one day someone decides they don’t fit in anymore, which puts everyone on edge knowing it could happen to anyone.

This place has definitely earned its nickname - Cliquestop. There are similarities to high school social tiers that are disappointing in what should be a professional setting. It's definitely more about who you know rather than what you know at Clickstop.

Advice to Management

Letting a bunch of people go and saying you’re not having layoffs does not instill trust with your remaining employees. Too many employees have been blindsided for people to believe it when you tell everyone that the person who was fired “knew it was coming.”

"Lots of Layoffs!"

I worked at Clickstop full-time

Pros

Cool building, access to food options, a few really awesome coworkers.

Cons

Companies that brag about having the best culture are typically the most toxic places to work in, Clickstop is no different. They have won several awards where employees have to take surveys and vote on how much they like it. Employees are “strongly encouraged” to vote positively for these. If there are negative comments, suddenly the spotlight will be on your team and Clickstop’s Culture team will start investigating who needs to be let go. I have watched lots of team members be fired without warning or advanced notice. It’s both shocking and upsetting to see coworkers treated so poorly and then have leadership tell the company that those people were underperforming.

This place has a cult-like feel to it and they will notice if you stop drinking the Kool-Aid. You have to eat, sleep, and breathe the core values, or else you’ll be fired. Individuality is not valued, and attracting too much attention to yourself or your team could cost you your job. They like to promote people based on how much you live the core values, not on job experience, so not a lot of work actually gets done.

They operate in the gray, which means that management can do whatever they want, including unethical things, as long as employees don’t know or are okay with looking the other way. Looks can be deceiving from the outside. Steer clear unless you enjoy walking on eggshells and don’t care about job security.

Clickstop Response

Oct 1, 2018 – Director of Hiring and Integration

For clarification, there have been no layoffs and there are no plans to have any layoffs in the future.

As a team, we are continuously striving to improve ourselves and work according to our... More

"Practice what you preach"

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Urbana, IA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Urbana, IA

I worked at Clickstop full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Most coworkers are incredible people that are loyal and hard working
    If you are in high school it’s a decent place to be
    Profit sharing
    Weight room

Cons

People actually Google how to do their jobs.
    Core values are used when management sees fit.
    Overpriced “healthy” food only with no pop or snack machines
    Favoritism. Sexism.
    Bullying and harassment, but they will try to convince you that you’re the problem in corporate speak.
    Words like “buying in” to the vision feels like you are in a cult
    “Executive chef” on site has questionable cooking skills and practices
    You write your own yearly review
    Wage compensation for hard work is rarely obtained
    There is no fun, just dictatorship
    Profit sharing doesn’t happen.
    Prepare to lose your independent thought and become a robot.
    You are watched like a hawk and micromanaged

Advice to Management

Realize that you are becoming dictators. You push people over the edge then feed on that to bully them until they quit. Praise the workers for their hard work and dedication. You preach core values yet throw it all away when you deem appropriate. Employ managers that actually have management experience not just ones that go through the motions to make it a great company.. Keep people in the loop with things that pertain to their jobs and follow through with what you say. Be there to help and encourage people. Be a role model instead of sitting in meetings all day long and going to work out. When there are questions, answer them honestly. Don’t blow smoke and turn your head the other way, then treat them like troublemakers. You encourage open, respectful communication then get defensive when others tell you how they feel. Stop waiting for every opportunity to “correct” someone.

Clickstop Response

Jul 24, 2018 – Communications Strategist

Thank you for taking to leave a review and feedback. While we are disappointed to hear that you feel this way, we also realize that we can’t be all things to all people. At Clickstop, we are... More

"business development"

I worked at Clickstop full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice facility, lunch available onsite for reasonable cost, they were developing a solid culture, trying to create employee engagement activities, celebrations, etc. Loved my coworkers.

Cons

Leadership didn't have a clear vision, lots of closed door meetings, not open communication, priorities changed unpredictably. Felt like you had to be in the "in crowd". Most leaders didn't have any leadership background or training and so there wasn't much opportunity to have a mentor. Never felt like there was clear answers about career potential or development opportunities. They didn't really want to support training or classes outside the company.

Advice to Management

Help your leaders develop leadership abilities. Help your employees find a mentor. Be clear what the career path looks like and what it takes to get a promotion. Increase communication, stop the good ole boys club.

7. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director of Manufacturing
    Current Employee - Director of Manufacturing

I have been working at Clickstop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expectations for the performance of the company are high. The values and lofty goals drive people to put forth their best effort. As a company, Clickstop is not afraid of making decisions that are going to create a more enjoyable and sustainable business. So many opportunities for growth and maneuverability within Clickstop.

Cons

There are no cons to this company. That doesn't mean it's the best fit for every person, but there is nothing that would cause me to hesitate recommending Clickstop as a place of employment to anyone that I believe shares Clickstop's values, believes in the mission and agrees with the strategies employed.

8. "One of a kind!"

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at Clickstop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will not find another company with the quality of people, enthusiasm, and opportunity that you will find here. This is definitely the best group of people that I have ever seen assembled at one company and the opportunities are endless.

Cons

Rapid growth can create challenges in keeping all departments and capabilities aligned. But most companies would love to have these "problems".

9. "Sales"

I have been working at Clickstop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel blessed to work at Clickstop. I love the values-based culture, it has allowed me to balance both my professional and my personal life. Moreover it is very motivating to be a part of such a dynamic team and this gives me the enthusiasm and opportunity to grow professionally. It has been a great pleasure being a part of Clickstop.

Cons

I wish it were closer to my home.

"Wonderful Place to Work!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IA

I have been working at Clickstop full-time

Pros

The people, the people, the people
    A breath-taking facility
    Onsite executive chef
    The perfect combination of highly-driven people who love fun as well!

Cons

Literally NONE! It's the best place I have ever worked!!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing !!!