Community Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Community Solutions Chief Executive Officer Robert D. Pidgeon
Robert D. Pidgeon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Lead Substance Abuse counselor/management team"

Former Employee - Lead Substance Abuse Counselor in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Lead Substance Abuse Counselor in Hartford, CT

I worked at Community Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As this agency basically works with criminal justice system, they offer opportunities to their employees . The pay is excellent. But, this company is in Conn. While I worked there the upper administration was great!!Oh and plenty of overtime. But I left there in 2002, I started there in 1990. So you can see, I really liked working there. I moved to Florida so that is why I left

to their

Cons

As in most social service jobs there is a lot of gossip and negativity among staff. I worked in the halfway houses The program directors had power issues. Working with the criminal justice is difficult. So burnout can come quickly as you have to work holidays and weekends, all shifts. Don't come involved in the gossip, be positive, and work with clients to help back into the community and you'll like you job. I left there in 2002 this is the correct year. The last year of employment above only went to 2013.

Advice to Management

Give more encourage to your employees to stay in the field and continue their education while working there.

2. "Cool job"

I worked at Community Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good staff and willing to work with each other.

Cons

This is a good place to work.

Advice to Management

None it's a good job.

"Jacks Of All Trades...... Masters Of None!!"

I worked at Community Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gaining enough relevant work experience to include on my résumé was really the only positive aspect of working for this agency. There were also a few really good friendships that I had developed with some of my colleagues after I had left. Some of the benefits offered at Community Solutions were generally okay, (although the employer match percentage for their retirement plan should've certainly been much more competitive.)

Cons

Where would I even begin with the negatives? First off, the entire agency was extremely disorganized in my opinion. There was very poor interdepartmental communication between different programs. That affected employee morale and productivity time and time again. Additionally, there was also a lack of clear focus and direction from agency leadership as a whole. My personal opinion was that Community Solutions tried to take on way too much, in the way of starting up different programs rather than focusing their efforts on developing the ones which they already had. Overall, if I had only adjective to use to describe the general workplace culture at Community Solutions, that word would definitely be greed! Corporate greed (and not compassion or genuine concern for the clients or the community) seemed to govern virtually every single decision which was made. There was also a lot of whining, complaining, criticism, and general negativity while working for this particular agency. Invisible senior leadership typically had some of the harshest critiques to make of their employees, yet they were rarely if ever around to actually support and encourage them. There are actually quite a few other negatives which I could also include here in my review, but I don't want to get too specific. Besides, it probably wouldn't even matter. Leadership (if that's what you would even call it here at Community Solutions, Inc.) seems to be quite stubborn and refuses to change what is clearly not working for them! My feeling is that they just remain hopelessly stuck in denial....

Advice to Management

Everything which leadership at Community Solutions needs to know is contained within the section above. More than anything else though, leadership at this agency needs to show a lot more empathy and compassion for their employees. Perhaps if the "leadership" here at this agency did some of the same exceptionally difficult jobs which some of their own employees do on a daily basis, then maybe they would think twice before making some of those same judgmental critiques.

4. "Case Manager"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Community Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the clients we work with. Love the community partners we have in town.

Cons

We lost a GREAT leader in Katie. Now we have a director who is quite bipolar and Program Coordinators who act live they're the Sheriff in town.

Advice to Management

Train your West Coast staff regularly, the actual training not web-based. Come out more to the offices and not just yearly for the graduation. Get a whole new management team in California.

5. "CASE MANAGER"

Former Employee - Case Manager
    Former Employee - Case Manager

I worked at Community Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with diverse populations, Fast pace and something different daily.

Cons

Funding, not enough resources to meet the daily issues for clients.

6. "human service"

I worked at Community Solutions full-time

Pros

Great coworkers depending on where you work.

Cons

No support. Low pay for amount of work they expect.

Advice to Management

Stand by and support your staff.

7. "Treatment Counselo"

Former Employee - counseor in Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - counseor in Bloomfield, CT

I worked at Community Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good supportive team and working environment.

Cons

There was no advancement opportunities encouraged

Advice to Management

None

8. "Review"

Current Employee - Human Service Worker in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Human Service Worker in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Community Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with the clients and helping them transfer into the community as productive citizens.

Cons

For the amount of work a Human Service Worker does we do not get paid enough. Some program directors are not supportive of their staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

9. "Human Service Worker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at Community Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great learning experience for anyone pursuing a Criminal Justice job .

Cons

They pay is not equilateral to what they expect .
    They don't promote from within.

10. "MST"

Former Employee - MST Therapist in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - MST Therapist in Reading, PA

I worked at Community Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Flexible schedule and the ability to work from home were big pluses for me. The company also offered good health insurance.

Cons

Way too much paperwork, poor salary, inconsistent expectations, Lots of team meetings where management would give lots of criticism and most of it not constructive

Advice to Management

When I first started working there in 2011, I loved it. Great management, coworkers and extremely supportive environment. However over time this changed drastically. We were required to take on more cases, do more paperwork, yet I the three years I was there I never got a raise and my benefits were cut every year.