Competitor Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Josh Furlow

1. "I keep trying to but there's only so much you can do."

I have been working at Competitor Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HR does try and help where they can.
    Free Yoga and Crossfit class.
    Company Parties.
    13 Holiday Days paid time off.
    Benefits are good.
    There are a lot of really nice people that work here.

Cons

They say they like to hire from within but then you are told you don't have experience in other departments.
    Then you try and grow in your department to get experience and told you don't really want it.
    Be careful who you talk to. Rumors spread like wild fire.
    Wages are horrible. I can't survive of what they are paying so I have to work a second job.

Advice to Management

Set up a system to help your employee grow or they are just going to keep leaving.

"The unhappiest place on earth, but heaven to the runners."

Current Employee - Manager - Events in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager - Events in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Competitor Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- learn the value of hard work. You will do the job of 3-5 people on a daily basis. Most of us can handle this, but don't expect a pat on the back because everyone is doing it too (including your manager).
    - work on a great product (RNR Marathon Series) and see results on every event weekend. The finish line is very moving.
    - there are many departments to rub shoulders with and learn from besides the events team, there is also a sales and media division.
    - budget planning is a skill you will master, since we have to manage a large scale production on limited funds all year.
    - lonely? You might find true love here. Some of my close friends have found love and either moved on from the company or are still employed. It's rather cute.
    - workout for free! Don't buy a gym membership. Yoga, crossfit, boxing, and run clubs are available and a great way to interact with other people in the company.
    - free coffee, which is a must, but the coffee here is decent!
    - the company's culture club, put together by fellow employees, tries to increase morale with fun outings at least twice a year. But when budget cuts loom overhead, it's hard to enjoy it.
    - relaxed dress code- wear yoga pants EVERY. DAY. Living the dream! But dress up for those important meetings!
    - bring your pet to work if you have a well-behaved animal. It's a welcome distraction to the day, don't know if this is technically allowed, but for now it's okay.
    - random free food. Sometimes generous employees will bring in donuts and teams will host social hours. You can even scavenge off leftovers from board meetings!
    - you get to travel, to US cities and internationally if you know the right people. If you stay employed for 4+ years or become upper managment, you get your own room on the road. That's right, you share a room with random coworkers, sometimes its someone you know. Bring ear plugs.
    - keep your flight points, but not your hotel points. This is uncommon with a job that requires travel, but hey, you too can be first class on Southwest Airlines! #getthatexitrow
    - pay for your expenses with a personal credit card to earn points, using a debit card will be dangerous on the event team. All those AMEX points can amount to holiday gifts for the family and friends you neglected all year!

Cons

Where to start?
    - having a family or even a significant other is difficult, as most of your time is spent with coworkers in the office or on the road. Never mind that my childcare costs as much as my paycheck, no one cares about your personal problems.
    - turnover is so high, it's a revolving door of people. Have experience? Great. Take a low salary to be part of this 'cool culture!' No experience? No go, unless you know someone that can vouch for you
    - Where is the management? Here's a team of people to manage when you have no experience managing them. Treat your team like they are disposable and work them to the ground with no opportunity for growth. But here is a 1% raise every year, if you're lucky. Want to be a manager? Drink with the right people.
    - the CEO is very removed from what is going on, unless there is a large $ sign attached to your issue, expect to be ignored
    - unlimited vacation? Accrue nothing, take nothing. Why take a vacation if you don't have time to? There are events waiting. There are runners that need you. There are meetings to attend and endless emails. But don't worry, you get your cell phone paid for and a cheap laptop to work from home and on the road because your job never stops.
    - ask for a promotion or a raise? You are on the chopping block for the next round of layoffs when the 'bank' decides to make budget cuts
    - save the company money? No bonus. Make the company money? No bonus (maybe if you are in sales). You do get compensation if you travel a lot
    - many of the people surrounding you are either on their first job after college or completely burned out. The college grads will unknowingly complain about things that normal people experience in their careers, the vets will complain about being overworked. Everyone is underpaid if not in an executive position.
    - don't expect quick responses internally, but if you don't respond immediately- you will get another email reminder.
    - work in Mira Mesa. Enough said. Even with the upcoming move, you're still in Mira Mesa.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the employees that are passionate about the company and truly work hard at their jobs, not just the people that kiss-up to executives and know how to talk their way up the chain. Seeing the best of the best leave (or get fired) for other companies kills the overall morale, as those were the people that were here for more than just a paycheck. Control the gossip and the rumors, this isn't high school. A seminar on professionalism and respect would be useful, not just the harassment online test once-in-a-blue-moon. Even if that isn't completed, no one in HR is there to enforce that you understand or complete it!

"Another move"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Competitor Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are none. Management will fire you once you make too much money.

Cons

management will work you to death and not pay you well.

Advice to Management

Don't move buildings, fire the CEO!

"Work HARD Travel A LOT"

Former Employee - Event Manager in Encinitas, CA
    Former Employee - Event Manager in Encinitas, CA

I worked at Competitor Group (More than a year)

Pros

Travel all over the country and sometime the world
    Inspire thousands of people to be healthy and active
    Learn a lot about the putting on races, media in the endurance sports world
    Get access to discounts to races
    Run Club
    Frequent Flier points

Cons

With the ownership of CGI being Calera Capital there is A LOT of pressure from "the bank" to hit revenue goals and that pressure is very much put on the shoulders of the event managers and their registration # for the Rock 'n' Roll series events. Tight event budgets make it hard for the events team to produce events to the expectations of upper management. Traveling nonstop make it difficult to have a work life balance and be able to work while on the road working races. It is a great place to work if you want to learn the industry because as an event manager you will have your hand in everything.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the staff because they are killing themselves working for you.

6. "Manager"

I have been working at Competitor Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment with an unbelievable dedicated team who are great to work with in the office and on the road.

Cons

Normal challenges you face at any company.

Advice to Management

None

"A Great Place to Build a Career... But Be Prepared for Hard Work & Bumps in the Road"

I have been working at Competitor Group full-time

Pros

Competitor Group is a great place to develop a career if you are at the coordinator or manager level. With ample hard work, there is a lot of opportunity to both learn, grow and move up in the company.

The people are truly fantastic - they are committed to what they do, want to grow, and in my experience, support one another. They are also the driving force of the culture, and individuals within the company have led efforts to make things like CrossFit workouts at lunch everyday, yoga and run club once a week, book club, etc. happen. It's great to see individuals in the company owning the culture and senior management supporting it.

Because it's a relatively small company and the leadership team is fairly sparse, manager/director-level employees or people who have been with the company for awhile often get to be involved in the decision-making processes.

Cons

There is huge need to add a layer of mid-level management to coach and mentor employees and drive the initiatives in the company.

Because there aren't many empowered middle-managers, most of the people who manage people are still also tasked with doing a lot of the work. As a result, projects often get bottlenecked, one-on-one coaching and management that would allow employees to grow faster and add value to the company doesn't happen as much as it should, and projects can't be delegated effectively.

Need to institute performance culture where those who don't perform get the feedback and eventually are removed from the company because they are a drag on the success of the company. Need to effectively reward and recognize top performers.

The company is in a challenging place financially, so that has historically created some discomfort for the employees.

Almost constant senior leadership turnover. I think I've seen 20+ people turn over on the senior leadership team in my 5+ years here.

Advice to Management

Invest in more middle managers to empower the employees and create a better system for delegation. We could solve a lot more of our business problems faster.

Spend less time on financial reporting to whatever private equity firm/bank owns the company to allow more time to focus on the business and manage the people. This is another reason why the added layer of empowered middle management would be a huge help. (This advice is to both the senior management team and the owners of the company.)

President would be wise to be a better listener, accept what he doesn't know and allow his employees to educate him, and be a lot less macho and chest-bangy.

Kudos for hiring a true HR professional. This will go a long way with employee development. You should listen to her.

"Fun environment but a lot of work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Competitor Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of fun, great people, travel to great places, some passionate people who have a passion for the industry

Cons

Tough to maintain a work/life balance, tough to turn off on weekends and nights, when people leave it takes a long time to get a replacement

9. "Great place!"

Current Employee - Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Competitor Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

International travel, lots of overtime pay, great casual atmosphere with fitness classes and free snacks. Promotions come quickly, the entire office gets the week of Christmas as paid vacation.

Cons

Younger company, still figuring out how to operate in a tight margin market. Org structure tends toward flat, which can sometimes make you ask: "Who's in charge here?"

Advice to Management

Invest in people! Align cost with high cost of living in San Diego. Focus on customer experience for long term revenue growth.

"Very sad"

I worked at Competitor Group full-time

Pros

There really isn't any pros to this company. The only thing I can think of is some of the other employees are nice but I really kept my distance because of all of the drama and gossip.

Cons

There are so many cons it's sad. Management doesn't really care about their employees. I enjoyed working there for a few months when I first started as I had been a long time reader of Triathlete magazine. I was truly disappointed as I got to know the company more and more along with their management team. After leaving Competitor Group I don't even like looking at the magazine anymore; it's truly taken the fun out of it along with the Rock n Roll Marathon series. It could be a good company if they lead with their heart instead of their pocket. So many bad ego's it's crazy. There is so much turn over I don't know how they can keep anyone for more than a year.

Advice to Management

There are so many problems with management it's truly sad. I guess I could start by saying put your huge ego's aside and try trusting your employees; putting your employees first and stop the game playing!

"People and benefits rock, but the job is not that great"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing in San Diego, CA

I worked at Competitor Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

teamwork, people, travel, gear, benefits are the best I've ever had, ability to take on lots of new things

Cons

travel schedules are so demanding, overworking employees, hiring employees without proper experience and instead bringing in cheap labor who burn out and leave, atmosphere tries to be fun but everyone is complaining, toxic work environment, insane deadlines, lots of turn over even in upper management, several layoffs, bank owned under a lot of revenue stress

Advice to Management

You can't force a company culture. Scaling up without adding staff destroys turnover rates. Promoting people just because they are the only ones who are left sets everyone up for failure.