Concho Reviews | Glassdoor

Concho Chairman and CEO Timothy A. Leach
Timothy A. Leach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Lease operator"

I have been working at Concho full-time

Pros

Great company to work for with good pay. Managers aren’t useless and know what they are talking about. Still expanding

Cons

Being on call 24/7 can be a hassle but it is what you sign up for as a lease operator

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Great benefits - Weak management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

I have been working at Concho (More than 8 years)

Pros

Best benefits with good pay... people stay for these two reasons and not from satisfaction as a whole. Enter at your own risk.

Cons

Company grew too fast resulting in poor management being placed in key roles. Results are a compromised corporation that lacks integrity resulting in low employee morale

3. "Geology Intern"

I worked at Concho full-time

Pros

Good people. Company cares about employees. Nice Gym. Good food at cafeteria

Cons

Midland is not the greatest city.

4. "Awesome"

I worked at Concho full-time

Pros

Great environment and lots of friendly faces

Cons

I honestly cant say I see a con

"Fantastic benefits, more HR structure and transparency"

Former Employee - Financial Planning Analyst in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Planning Analyst in Midland, TX

I worked at Concho full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Concho gives you the tools you need to succeed. Management cares about the wellbeing of employees. The culture is very friendly. Fantastic facilities including an employee center with cafeteria, premium workout facility with free fitness classes, basketball court, and day care. Health insurance and related benefits are first class and paid for in full by the company.

Cons

Tough to gauge advancement potential and career path. Fragmented organizational structure leads to some inefficiency. Behind on IT and systems investment (lots of manually kept data, need more centralized databases and company-wide systems architecture). Midland is boring from a social perspective (especially if you are single).

Advice to Management

More transparent performance review process. More investment in IT. They are doing pretty much everything else right that is under their control.

6. "Engineer"

Pros

Fantastic company to work for! Great environment for growth. All coworkers and supervisors are great to work with.

Cons

I cannot think of any bad things to say about this company. Everything in my experience has been very positive

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to give the employees a tad more slack when making decisions on various projects. Otherwise management is doing great.

"St. Reservoir Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Petroleum Engineer in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Petroleum Engineer in Midland, TX

I worked at Concho full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in Midland Tx. Well established in community

Cons

Potential layoffs and numerous young engineers

8. "Utterly outstanding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

I have been working at Concho (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing company. They are "employees first" (Which isn't easy to do as a publically traded company), As this company has grown over the last 8 years, so has the opportunity for those that are willing to accept the challenge. Senior level management gives you the tools and the chance to prove yourself as a leader. You success is rewarded if you can show to handle it. I have worked for several oil companies over the years, and there isn't a single one that can provide big-company growth, with a family based environment. Sure there are some individuals that can be hard to work with, that's everywhere. Management doesn't tolerate people who cant work as a team to accomplish solutions to complex problems, so don't try to be a lone ranger, it wont get the job done in most cases. The benefits are unreal, I didn't even know this could exist.

Cons

Seriously? I guess the wind could blow less, but its Midland.

Advice to Management

The environment at the personal and professional level you have created is amazing. Thank you for the opportunity, and I only wish decades more of this to come.

9. "HR"

Pros

Benefits are amazing, they truly care for their employees. Medical is paid 100% for employee + dependents. Free gym membership at the YMCA, but they will soon have their own gym, cafeteria, and child care facility.

Great people to work will.

Cons

Oil industry is very unstable, and the location.

10. "Absolutely amazing company"

Current Employee - Land Department in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Land Department in Midland, TX

I have been working at Concho full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is filled with great people who are always willing to go the extra mile for both coworkers and customers. The benefits are absolutely second to none. They pay for the best medical insurance, the best life insurance and the best dental/vision as well. If you want benefits, this is the company to become a part of, they also contribute 10% dollar for dollar matching into your 401k. Coffee and snacks on every floor also!

Cons

Growing pains. At least in the area I work, many of the more tenured employees are stuck in the small company mindset and this is no longer a small company. Some of the processes/filing requests are straight out of the 80's , I'm talking 70 copies of a 200 page document so it can be placed in every well that person is associated with. Computers need to be more at play here.

Advice to Management

Honestly they know a whole lot more than I do so I feel like my advice should be taken with a grain of salt. Keep up the good things! The only thing I would say is that they need to be more open to change and using the immense resources that technology provides in order to make processes both more efficient and more reliable for auditors. Inventory tracking technology was invented and perfected long ago, let's of hop on that train.