ContentLEAD Reviews | Glassdoor

ContentLEAD Reviews

3.1
Daniel Morris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Amazing company, great experience"

Current Employee - Content Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Content Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA

Pros

- Investment from upper management in your career advancement
    - Company pays for Google Analytics certification
    - Amazing/fun company culture
    - Get to know you hours sponsored by the company
    - Supportive co-workers
    - Collaborative environment
    - WFH flexibility
    - Opinions heard by upper management
    - Great work-life balance
    - Process and procedure is well defined for all internal steps

Cons

- Busy schedules
    - Can have a lot on your plate at times

Advice to Management

I'd like to see more of an investment in healthy/well living perks

2. "Writer/Editor"

Former Employee - Writer and Editor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Writer and Editor in Boston, MA

I worked at ContentLEAD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can work from home whenever you want

Cons

Talented writers aren't going to stay here with no pay.

3. "Too much work, not enough money"

Former Employee - Blog &Amp; Content Writer
    Former Employee - Blog &Amp; Content Writer

I worked at ContentLEAD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's good experience - if you can handle this workload with their quality standards, you will do well elsewhere
    Coworkers are nice & everyone works hard

Cons

It's hard to live on the (non-negotiable) salary they provide, and the mandatory workload is difficult to maintain. This is the kind of profession that should really be unionized.

Advice to Management

Pay your writers more and find a better way to increase profit margins

4. "Content Marketing Agency"

Pros

Fun Work Environment for all

Cons

Tough Management style and people

"ContentLEAD? More Like ContentMILL."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at ContentLEAD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent coworkers. Kind of like the camaraderie you feel with fellow hostages or the occupants of a sinking ship -- you don't know each other too well, but you're all in it together.

Upward mobility. Easy to move up in the company if you're willing to work a lot more for the same amount of money.

Cons

They don't know how to treat their employees. Everyone is laughably underpaid, but expected to work longer hours and be more productive than other employees making the same salary. Writers are driven to near insanity, churning out content that it often rejected by clients. I've seen writers have breakdowns.

Vacation hours accrue at a minuscule rate. If you save up all year to have the maximum number of days available in January or February, so that you can take more than one or two vacation days, your boss will suddenly be unable to approve your leave.

They have no concept of work/life balance, and burden everyone with workloads that mean you must take your work home and work through weekends. You will never be paid overtime or offered any compensation for working past closing time.

I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone but my worst enemy. It's a test of mental strength working here. Anyone who can get past a year is amazing. But people who stick it out past that strike me as odd -- after a year of working like a beaver you could definitely find a position with better pay and much better benefits. So why are you still stuck at CL in an entry level position?

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. You're way past the startup stage, so stop acting like you can get away with paying employees pennies for the hard work they do.

6. "Find to start, but get our quick"

Former Employee - Senior Writer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Writer in Boston, MA

I worked at ContentLEAD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers if you are in your 20s. I could basically make my own schedule. It was also a good thing to add to my resume as it adds some keywords and ideas that are hot in the industry right now. Beer sometimes.

Cons

The qualities they stress to writers (quality in writing) means very little as the ultimate goal is hitting quota every month (275-300 articles). As long as that happens, nothing else matters. The work load is laughably out of balance with the paycheck. Nearly every week I was working close to 50 hours and still needed supplemental income to pay my bills (and this is after a raise from my entry level pay). The only reason I took a promotion, which came with a massive workload increase, was to make a couple extra bucks in every paycheck because there is no other way to get a raise.

There is also a massive lack of communication between departments. As a senior writer my work load could be changed by five different people at any time, often because someone didn't do their job correctly. Miscommunication led to me writing 30 articles for a client that cancelled months prior, wasting my time.

There were multiple times where I know writers were asked for feedback and nothing ever came of it.

When beer every week/event in the office is a major selling point on your culture, that's a problem.

7. "No such thing as the perfect company to work for, but there are really good companies."

Current Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at ContentLEAD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ContentLEAD offers all of it's employees a very professional and low stress environment. They truly care about their employees and work hard at offering continued education and advancement. Are they perfect? No Are they a very good company? Yes

Cons

ContentLEAD, like any start-up has had it's share of ups and downs. This is normal! The advantages of working for a start-up are clearly in the ability to move up quickly within the organization. If you do well you will be noticed and rewarded accordingly. The disadvantages of working for a start-up are clearly the growing pains and the lack of concrete and well established procedures. Not everyone can deal with this. Most people need well established procedures to perform well.

Advice to Management

Training is critical and employee participation and feedback, specifically when you are a start-up is important. Keep it up!

8. "Good place to start, but not a place to make a career"

Current Employee - Blog & Content Writer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Blog & Content Writer in Boston, MA

I have been working at ContentLEAD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very young and friendly environment. I often saw my co workers outside of work, which meant going to work much more bearable. Beer in the office regularly, and I could work from home almost whenever I wanted, and as long as I got everything done I was able to make my own schedule. It also was a great place to start a career -- the SEO experience I received has come up in almost every job interview I had after, and I feel confident it will continue to help me.

Cons

Much more about quantity than quality in my writing. The more we were expected to write, the more it felt like plagiarism instead of our own ideas, even if it technically wasn't. The pay was not enough to live in Boston, and I felt like if I freelanced I could make much more. Also, beer in the office is fun, but can make non-drinkers feel out of place and excluded.

Advice to Management

More non-alcoholic social options, higher pay, and more emphasis on quantity.

9. "Business Development Executive"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at ContentLEAD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great location in Downtown Crossing in Boston.
    -Good pay with room for improvement if you perform- -I've started as business dev Rep, now I'm full time sales
    -Young professionals and the overall environment is friendly
    -It's easy to interact between departments, you will have the ability to learn about web development and improve your digital marketing knowledge
    -Stay above the curve with knowledge about Google and Social Media

Cons

-Most sales are done inside, just the nature of this business.
    -You're required to work for minor holidays such as Columbus day, etc.

10. "ContentLEAD Business Development Representative October 1, 2013"

Current Employee - BDR in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - BDR in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at ContentLEAD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office culture is picking up and I enjoy working with my co-workers. The team environment helps with motivation.

Cons

I feel some of the companies that we're contacting are under qualified for our services (money seems to be a constant issue)

Advice to Management

I think we're definitely growing in a positive direction. Sales have been increasing and overall work place moral is high.

ContentLEAD Response

Nov 19, 2013 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback - we're working hard to target prospects that are an ideal fit four our service and will continue to do so. Glad to hear you're enjoying the office environment with your team... More