CreativeLive Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Chase Jarvis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A true gem of a company..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CreativeLive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company a little over 3 months and can't say enough great things about being a part of the CL family. I'm in awe of the intelligent, out-of-the-box thinkers I get to work with every day who make me feel empowered, valued and included. The office is stylish, clean and decorated with artwork from our talented community of students & instructors. I love the work we do to spread & inspire creativity across the globe and feel very lucky to be here.

Cons

Start-up budgets can be tricky, but that's where scrappiness and hustle come into play

"Write your own script"

I worked at CreativeLive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost, if you are passionate about creativity, this is your chance to live and breathe it 24/7 (especially if you are a photography nut) - you'll be truly immersed in the culture and craft of creativity. And if you enjoy helping people, you'll be doing that every day at CL. The company's product really truly does change lives by giving people the tools to build the life they dream of - that's not marketing, it's real.

There's also a ton of flexibility in terms of defining your role and path within the company. Like most startups, things are always changing and that's an opportunity for you to ride the wave and change your own trajectory.

In terms of culture, everybody is very friendly and fun. You won't find any jerks at CL, and the company senior management are super accessible and always happy to take the time to answer any questions about strategy, tactics, successes and failure.

Cons

The cons are essentially the same as the pros, depending on who you are and what your preferences are.

The flexibility of opportunity also means career paths aren't as clearly defined as they might be at a larger company, which may not be desirable to those who want their path explicitly laid out for them.

And likewise, because it's a startup (at the time I'm writing this, a mid-stage and successful/stable startup - but still a startup), the constant change may not be what some are looking for.

Advice to Management

If there is anything I have 100% confidence in, it is the senior management team at CreativeLive. I worked very closely with them for years and I have never once felt anything less than complete trust in their vision and ability to execute on that vision. So with that in mind, I don't think it's my place to give them much advice - on the contrary, I've developed tremendously by having the opportunity to learn from the management team at CL.

3. "Great Company For Starting Out But You Hit the Glass Ceiling Hard"

I worked at CreativeLive full-time

Pros

Great social vibe from co-workers. The space is really neat and open. The work can be very rewarding.

Cons

Management at the time needed some serious counseling. A lot of promises and discussions led to nowhere. Roles were not well defined and relied heavily on boiler-plate examples of what a role was.

Advice to Management

I bet it's different now, but there needed to be a reorganization of management as well as set expectations of roles very clearly.

4. "Integrated Marketing Specialist"

Current Employee - Integrated Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Integrated Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CreativeLive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some exposure to creativity but entirely over-exaggerated.

Cons

Over-sold and under-delivered. Poor environment altogether!

Advice to Management

Create more flexibility within team structure, create efforts to keep staff.

May 5, 2017 – VP, People Operations

As is well known at CreativeLive, we have an open door policy for feedback to direct managers, department leads, myself, the COO, and the CEO. This is the type of feedback we ask for directly... More

"Outstanding, passionate company with so much to learn from."

Former Employee - Content Management in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Content Management in Seattle, WA

I worked at CreativeLive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic people, exciting vision with a ton of support and encouragement to find your own path and explore new ideas. Learned a ton and felt invested in at every step of the way.

Cons

Not sure what to say here

"Dynamic startup in the ed-tech space on the upswing"

I worked at CreativeLive full-time

Pros

* The targeted focus on creatives clarifies and concentrates company vision and execution
    * Best-in-class live production team and capabilities create gorgeous original content
    * Dynamic classes are built-out by an excellent content development team working in concert with leading instructors and authorities
    * Awesome, high-functioning product/engineering org. Works across exciting open-source frontend and backend technologies. Innovates on broadcast workflows, content and media management and delivery, personalization and relevant search, web, iOS, Apple TV, etc. - tons of opportunity for professional and personal learning and growth!
    * Positive, inclusive and creative company culture

Cons

* Located in SF (tongue in cheek!), so all the standard cost-of-living issues everyone is already familiar with..
    * Getting to the base of Potrero Hill can be a bit of work depending on where you're coming from (not in super-close proximity to mass transit)

Advice to Management

Continue to strengthen focus on creatives, the interplay between live and on-demand class experiences, and innovating on novel new ways to support the *creative* learning process online. These are all key differentiators for CreativeLive, and I see huge upside potential across all of these areas.

Maintain the awesome culture and product, and continue being excellent to each other and to your students and the broader CL community!

Mar 14, 2017 – People Operations Manager

Thank you for the feedback and support!

7. "Pretty Cool"

I have been working at CreativeLive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company mission, generally good culture and pleasant environment, fun projects, really talented and creative coworkers

Cons

Pay is ok but it's difficult to get a raise

Advice to Management

Empower employees to be more creatively inspired, reward them when they put in the time and work

Mar 16, 2017 – People Operations Manager

Thank you for your feedback! You hit on a lot of the topics that are most important to us.

I wanted to touch on the compensation piece you mentioned. We do an annual compensation review which... More

"4 months at the CL"

I have been working at CreativeLive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management at CL is terrific. They are very approachable and do great of communicating company goals and objectives to everyone from top to bottom. They are energizing people, open to new ideas and concepts and don't mind taking calculated risks. What is best, they are willing give you runway to prove your ideas. If you want to get stuff done, these are exactly the type of people you want to work for/with. If you want a job where you can hide...then find a big company and your stapler will be waiting for you on your desk, along with your TPS report due on every Monday. I truly believe that if you like your boss and your product - you are 90% there, the rest will come with hustle and planning. If you dislike either (boss or product), guaranteed you're on LinkedIn or Glassdoor looking for a new gig blaming your boss or product for your need to find a new job. Check boss and product off in positive column here - the rest is up to you.

Cons

4 months in none yet.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, love working here.

"Creative Living and Loving It"

Current Employee - Production Business & Traffic Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Production Business & Traffic Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at CreativeLive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost, my coworkers are some of the most talented, hilarious, hard working people I have ever met. I learn so much from them on a daily basis.
    I started as a PA and never thought I'd be where I am almost 5 years later. I'm a completely different person. This place has changed my life. I love the autonomy I have. I love being able to manage my time. I'm constantly challenged to stretch and grow. Working here has also allowed me to pursue my hobbies. While I'm helping others become artists, CreativeLive helps me be one.

Cons

We are a young company and still figuring it out. There isn't some all knowing upper management that tells you what you need to do, you have to come to the table with ideas and build it with your bosses and the people under you. Every company is going to have growing pains and make mistakes. I feel like this is the best deal.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work with encouraging communication and transparency!

"Do meaningful work."

I have been working at CreativeLive full-time

Pros

Great opportunities arise consistently to make meaningful work that contributes to the company as a whole. Big sense of team that drives the everyday with forward forging goals in an engaging startup. A great place to exercise creativity in your work.

Cons

As with most startups, any procedures and plans are flexible and constantly changing. All the rearrangements can be leave you feeling uncertain.