Customized Energy Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 18, 2018

4.4
Stephen Fernands

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Market operations center employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I worked at Customized Energy Solutions full-time

Pros

Absolute transparency, from financial status to company goals / performance are given quarterly, and available to all employees.

The managers I was in contact with were open with their objectives and clear on their expectations. Managerial support was available 24/7 without negative repercussions for the sometimes common 3am calls.

Whenever I had an idea, question, concern or constructive criticism, it was met with support, and professional conversation, regardless of the outcome.

Cons

The pace of a slightly younger company with the growth rate of CES can overwhelm some. On boarding of new clients is often a vary expedient process and requires a lot of addition support from all levels of staff. If this doesn’t seem like something you would enjoy, it may still be the only “con” I can make you aware of.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to continue to rely on your key subordinates for insights to efficiencies and avoidance of errors. This was a strength that the CES leadership had and should continue to exercise.

Dec 5, 2018 – President

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough review. We will definitely take your advice on reliance on our team leaders. I agree that our strength is based largely on having a skilled... More

2. "Developer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Customized Energy Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NICE CEO. Great work and life balance.

Cons

PTO is too less

Dec 5, 2018 – President

Thank you for your kind words - I appreciate all of the hard work you and our development team put into our software solutions. I thought it might be helpful to clarify our PTO policy for those... More

3. "Director"

I have been working at Customized Energy Solutions full-time

Pros

Autonomy, flat organization structure, and freedom to collaborate

Cons

Autonomy and lack of collaboration

Dec 5, 2018 – President

Thanks for the positive review. I appreciate that sometimes something that is a strength - in this case autonomy - can also be a weakness. We are implementing a platform to help overall... More

"Good Place to Work and Learn"

I have been working at Customized Energy Solutions full-time

Pros

CES can be a great place to work and build expertise on the inner workings of the energy industry and competitive electricity markets. For a company of its size, it enjoys an outstanding reputation among some of the largest energy players in the U.S. and the world thanks to its knowledgeable employees and the client-first mentality spearheaded by the founder.

Pay and benefits tend to be good for the Philadelphia region, and employees are often given some flexibility in their day-to-day lives as long as their work gets done, though this varies considerably by position. Generally, business lines leads/managers are easy to work with and encouraging to employees across the company.

Cons

Management as a whole can be disorganized and the company could benefit from better coordination both within and between teams. The strategic direction of the company or individual business lines is not always clear, leaving workers unsure of where to focus their efforts.

The current annual review process seems to under-weigh individual contributions, so there is not necessarily a strong incentive in terms of bonus or advancement to reward employee performance.

Advice to Management

Improve organization and coordination across business lines to address growing pains as the company continues to expand. Standardize business practices throughout the company to streamline workflow. Establish clearer pathways for employee career growth and rewards for high performance.

Mar 13, 2018 – President

Thank you for your review. We strive to be a company that develops the skills of associates and serves our clients' needs. Having a flat organizational structure does sometimes lead to lack of... More

"Operations"

I worked at Customized Energy Solutions full-time

Pros

Can gain valuable experience...a plus.

Cons

Low pay according to industry standards.

Advice to Management

Pay more

Apr 24, 2017 – President

Thank you for your feedback we will continue to strive to be a company that you would recommend to others. We do look to pay competitive compensation packages for all of our associates. We use... More

6. "Friendly work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Customized Energy Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wife variety of projects, great tools and programs to help us, great co-workers

Cons

High expectations on time at work

Mar 2, 2017 – President

Thank you for recommending us as a place to work. We appreciate being a company that is able to provide its associates with a range of opportunities within our 7 business practice areas.

7. "Ran Company"

Current Employee - Head Energy Consultant in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Head Energy Consultant in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Customized Energy Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work whe you want and do what you want but your money results In that

Cons

Stress and the same work when you want is also a negative

Advice to Management

More due Diligence should be put in

Mar 2, 2017 – President

Thank you for recommending Customized Energy Solutions as a place to work. We do strive to provide flexibility when possible in how associates can succeed - glad this flexibility is working for you... More

8. "Keep your head down and open your own doors"

Current Employee - Markets in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Markets in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Customized Energy Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are outstanding and coming to work each day exposes you to environment of bright, fun, dedicated people. CEO has a solid, assertive vision. Flat, entrepreneurial, work scheme. Flexibility of remote work has been a lifesaver for me. More than just a number.

Cons

Some cynicism among the ranks and minor dust ups regarding recent promotions or vision within business lines. Many complain about comp.

Advice to Management

Aggressive goals are awesome, but don't lose site of the fun.

Sep 8, 2017 – President

Thanks you for your feedback on the company. We certainly do have a lot of great people! Sorry for the delay in responding I was reviewing previous feedback and realized I never thanked you for... More

9. "Fast Growing, Knowledgeable, Experienced, and Innovative Energy Consulting Company with a Flat Managerial Structure"

Current Employee - Energy/Financial Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Energy/Financial Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Customized Energy Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly knowledgable employees. Relaxed and friendly daily work environment with semi-flexible hours/schedule. Flat managerial style works very well if your an independently motivated individual who likes a bit of freedom. Industry competitive compensation with great benefits. Innovative technologies and in-house developed platforms. Wide range of retail, wholesale, emerging tech, natural gas, and renewable energy clients through out the entire U.S., leading to many exciting opportunities that can add resume building experience and increased career trajectory.

Cons

Due to the flat structure, combined with some rash or poor higher level management decisions made by the CEO...certain employees have been known to take significant advantage of the system in place leading to a frustrating team environment at times. Real accountability through most business lines is lacking especially in this fast moving company. CEO has also been known to threaten legal action and enforce non-compete clauses at all levels of personnel, sometimes making it difficult to work with co-workers who were "blocked" from accepting more lucrative job opportunities.

Advice to Management

Aside from some ill-advised and highly questionable management decisions...

The combination of increased accountability and adding an enhanced management structure, could provide some much needed oversight and increase productivity. Overall it's a great company that will provide you with vast knowledge and experience in a rapidly growing industry. I would highly recommend employment (especially if you get them to drop that potentially aggravating non-compete from your employment contract)

Feb 15, 2016 – President

Thank you for writing a review and recommending the company as a place for people to work. We certainly strive to be a company that serves our clients and fellow staff through attracting and... More

10. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Analyst in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Phila, PA

Pros

Excellent place to work at for people willing to take initiative. Great team and highly talented individuals allows you to expand your knowledge base and keeps you motivated.

Cons

Flat organisation sometimes can frustrate you as things will roll forward slowly than expected.

Advice to Management

Keep Growing and recognise highly productive folks.