DART Center Reviews

Updated Oct 27, 2020

4.3
DART Center Executive Director John Aeschbury
John Aeschbury
  1. "Great start to a career in community organizing!"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Associate Organizer in Tampa, FL

I worked at DART Center full-time

Pros

Help people build power in their community work for social justice

Cons

Long hours Bureaucratic issues with central staff

October 28, 2020Assistant Recruitment Director

Happy to see that you found building power in the community for social justice to be such a meaningful role to play. We appreciate your feedback and continue to work with our Lead Organizers and DART training staff to make sure new Associate Organizers are encouraged to set good habits and work/life boundaries from the start.

2. "Overall good"

Former Employee - Community Organizer in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at DART Center full-time

Pros

very fulfilling role and nice coworkers

Cons

long work hours and weekends

June 11, 2020Recruitment Director

We're glad you found meaning in the work and camaraderie with fellow organizers. It's a great group of people who get into this work.

3. "Living into my values: Solidarity, justice, community"

Current Employee - Lead Organizer

I have been working at DART Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at two different DART affiliates has been a blessing to me. I get to live out my values each and every day and have built really meaningful relationships with community members as well as other organizers across the country. I have been a part of getting real results and see the world improving around me. I am really honored to be involved in this work.

Cons

Some campaigns take years to win so you'll want to go in knowing that you're going to take some hard hits along the way but that it's worth it.

June 11, 2020Recruitment Director

Thank you for sharing. We certainly plan to continue listening, and evolving.

"Rewarding Work"

Current Employee - Lead Organizer in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at DART Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This job is incredibly fulfilling. To work with people day in and day out and see their growth and excitement when they realize they can change their community for the better is truly a privilege. I love getting to meet people of all different walks of life and help them connect with one another. I've worked in other non-profits before, and I always felt burned out and hopeless. But working for DART gives me so much hope that if people work together, we can change any injustice we're confronted with. I find it exciting to be part of issue campaigns where we're winning big things like $100 million for affordable housing, or state laws that give children second chances instead of arrest records. I also enjoy getting to work with other organizers and the supportive atmosphere and camaraderie . Fair compensation, with good benefits/healthcare/vacation package

Cons

When you first start, it can be hard to figure out a good work-life balance. It's a job where there is always more to do so you have to be disciplined about scheduling (and taking) your time off.

September 3, 2020Assistant Recruitment Director

We are so glad to hear that you find the work of an organizer to be so rewarding, and that it is something to be invested in for the long haul. Thank you for providing some helpful advice and perspective for folks who might be new to the work.

5. "Rewarding word"

4.0

I have been working at DART Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great opportunity to live out your values, lots of room for professional development

Cons

Long hours, often have to work nights and/or weekends

September 3, 2020Assistant Recruitment Director

We are glad to know that you see room for growth and professional development in your career as an organizer. It seems there is always more to learn.

6. "Organizer Experience"

Current Employee - Lead Organizer

I have been working at DART Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Community organizing is incredibly rewarding to see improvements made in my city through the work we are doing to bring people together. DART offers excellent training in how to be a community organizer. There is good camaraderie among organizers. There are opportunities for growth - I was able to advance from an associate to a lead organizer.

Cons

Initially it was difficult to move to a new city and start a new job. It can take a while to see public policy changes implemented and working in your city so you have to stay motivated in the meantime to keep working at it.

September 3, 2020Assistant Recruitment Director

Community organizing certainly takes patience as you work day-in and day-out to help create a more just community. We are glad to hear that you feel prepared and supported by your colleagues across the DART network.

"Terrible Experience"

1.0

I worked at DART Center full-time

Pros

Meeting with passionate community leaders

Cons

Would not recommend. Very unhealthy organizational culture: long hours for little pay, philosophy that makes you feel as though you and a handful of others are responsible for transforming the world, manipulative coaching during training, non-guaranteed location. This was my first job after graduating college, and I am still upset to this day at the way I was treated. Incredibly disrespected. I feel like my youthful energy and outlook on community change was taken advantage of and really regret my time with DART. Also, is it really community organizing if you’re giving orders to the community? No room for organizing in new ways outside prescriptive model.

September 3, 2020Assistant Recruitment Director

We are sorry to hear that organizing within the DART network was not the right fit for you. We are committed to listening—to organizers for ways that we can support them as they build their careers, and to the communities we work in as they uncover and tackle problems together.

"Long-hours but incredibly gratifying"

Current Employee - Senior Organizer

I have been working at DART Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Knowing you're making a difference, getting to know a lot of different types of people, good support and training from DART to teach you how to do the job, lots of autonomy, flexible hours

Cons

specific times of year have a lot more night meetings

September 3, 2020Assistant Recruitment Director

It is good to hear that our training made you feel supported and prepared to make a difference for your community.

"Significant work that uplifts humanity, undertaken with painstaking excellence -MLK paraphrase"

I have been working at DART Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Network is full of really great people always willing to provide assistance when necessary. You also get to set your own schedule so there is a flexibility that many jobs don't have.

Cons

You have days of one step forward three steps back...

September 3, 2020Assistant Recruitment Director

We are glad that we can offer the support and guidance that organizers and community leaders need as they tackle challenging community problems together.

10. "DART Lead Organizer Review"

4.0
    Current Employee - Lead Organizer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at DART Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

DART has a lot of cool organizers and the cities they are in allows us to work with a lot of cool community leaders that care deeply for their city. I didn't really see myself working in the same field past three years, but really enjoy the grassroots leaders I work with and got energized by the victories we were winning. It is cool to have a job that allows you to live out your values.

Cons

I have built strong bonds with many of the organizers that live in different cities from me and I wish I could see them more often.

September 3, 2020Assistant Recruitment Director

We too are inspired by the organizers and community leaders who are in the DART network. It is a privilege to work with such committed and passionate people.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 32 English Reviews