Cover image for DART Center

4.2
DART Center Executive Director John Aeschbury
John Aeschbury

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great training and development of organizers, they give you all the tools you need and time to practice them(in 4 reviews)
Cons
  • "Long hours, often have to work nights and/or weekends(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

So encouraged

Jul 9, 2021 - Lead Organizer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Today, I got an email from a community member who was at our action holding the police accountable for fair treatment of people with mental health illnesses. We demanded policy change and training and it was all implemented because of the work of the DART affiliate I organize with. The woman’s email explained how a severely mentally ill man was threatening police and they were able to safely call to have him transported to the hospital. This work saves lives. And, taking part in it gives my life meaning.

Cons

Each affiliate has their own pros and cons in the DART network but I’ve never worked anywhere more committed to growth and evaluation. I thing that growth and evaluation can be difficult, you will have to have difficult conversations in the community and within the organization, but the fruit of that work is very real.

Assistant Recruitment Director

Wow, what a great reminder of why the work we do is so important. Things that are imporant are rarely easy, so we appreciate having dedicated team members like you who aren't afraid to lean into the hard questions and figure out how we can continually do better for our communities.

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Powerful work but high potential for burnout

May 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work has the capacity to be extremely meaningful, and engaging people of faith around the power dynamics in their communities and seeing long term change can be very rewarding. Pay and benefits are pretty good for the field, and other organizers within the network are smart, passionate, and bring joy to a difficult job.

Cons

Unattainable goals are used as accountability mechanisms and organizers are given so much to do that work-life balance is extremely difficult

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Toxic environment, especially for LGBTQ and Black/POC Organizers

Jul 7, 2021 - Associate Organizer in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is good insurance a few great coworkers at other organizers

Cons

If you're Black or Queer RUN!!!! almost impossible standards, nominally encourage work life balance but expect your life to be your job, expect you to undergo abuse from your clients (specifically homophobic and racist people), do not respond well to criticism. I believe I was "laid off" because a week or two before I held the CEO accountable for what I believed to be a moral contradiction.

2 people found this review helpful

Assistant Recruitment Director

We are sorry to hear that your experience organizing within the DART network was not positive. While our goal is to change oppressive systems, we are not ignorant of the fact that our team is operating in an oppressive world. We do not pretend that organizers will be working alongside people who agree with them 100% of the time, or who share 100% of their values. We do our best to set our organizers up for success while operating within that reality. Across the DART network we have both a Black Caucus as well as an LGBTQ+ Caucus run by organizers to share struggles, celebrate victories, and support one another. We take instances of discrimination and abuse incredibly seriously, and are continually working with our local organizers to better understand how we can meet their needs and push back against any form of oppressive behavior. We are proud of our strong culture of accountability, and value when our organizers speak honestly about their experiences. We can say with certainty that every employment decision is made based on organizer performance.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Meaningful work, inspiring colleagues, and continual growth

Jun 3, 2021 - Assistant Director of Recruitment in Buena Vista, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

- It's easy to feel powerless with all of the problems facing the world today; this organization gives me the chance to build power so that we can press for change starting at the local level. That is invaluable. - Working with inspiring colleagues -- both the organizing staff and the grassroots leaders have incredible stories and work hard to live out their values. - Continual growth -- not a day goes by where you aren't learning something new. This is due both the nature of grassroots organizing and the continual training from DART.

Cons

It can feel as if there is a lot at stake with this work, so there is stress that comes from that. But I'd take that any day over feeling like my work didn't matter!

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

good job

Apr 15, 2021 - Community Organizer in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Business Outlook

Pros

good start to begin organizing

Cons

hours can be long, tiring

Assistant Recruitment Director

We take preparing and training new staff very seriously, so we are glad to hear that you've found our network to be a good place to launch your organizing career. It's a tough but meaningful career path to be sure.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great start to a career in community organizing!

Oct 27, 2020 - Associate Organizer in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Help people build power in their community work for social justice

Cons

Long hours Bureaucratic issues with central staff

Assistant Recruitment Director

Happy to see that you found building power in the community for social justice to be such a meaningful role to play. We appreciate your feedback and continue to work with our Lead Organizers and DART training staff to make sure new Associate Organizers are encouraged to set good habits and work/life boundaries from the start.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee

Overall good

Apr 16, 2020 - Community Organizer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

very fulfilling role and nice coworkers

Cons

long work hours and weekends

Recruitment Director

We're glad you found meaning in the work and camaraderie with fellow organizers. It's a great group of people who get into this work.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Living into my values: Solidarity, justice, community

Jan 27, 2020 - Lead Organizer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working at two different DART affiliates has been a blessing to me. I get to live out my values each and every day and have built really meaningful relationships with community members as well as other organizers across the country. I have been a part of getting real results and see the world improving around me. I am really honored to be involved in this work.

Cons

Some campaigns take years to win so you'll want to go in knowing that you're going to take some hard hits along the way but that it's worth it.

Recruitment Director

Thank you for sharing. We certainly plan to continue listening, and evolving.

9. 5.0

Rewarding Work

Oct 7, 2019 - Lead Organizer in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

This job is incredibly fulfilling. To work with people day in and day out and see their growth and excitement when they realize they can change their community for the better is truly a privilege. I love getting to meet people of all different walks of life and help them connect with one another. I've worked in other non-profits before, and I always felt burned out and hopeless. But working for DART gives me so much hope that if people work together, we can change any injustice we're confronted with. I find it exciting to be part of issue campaigns where we're winning big things like $100 million for affordable housing, or state laws that give children second chances instead of arrest records. I also enjoy getting to work with other organizers and the supportive atmosphere and camaraderie . Fair compensation, with good benefits/healthcare/vacation package

Cons

When you first start, it can be hard to figure out a good work-life balance. It's a job where there is always more to do so you have to be disciplined about scheduling (and taking) your time off.

1 person found this review helpful

Assistant Recruitment Director

We are so glad to hear that you find the work of an organizer to be so rewarding, and that it is something to be invested in for the long haul. Thank you for providing some helpful advice and perspective for folks who might be new to the work.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Rewarding word

Jan 19, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A great opportunity to live out your values, lots of room for professional development

Cons

Long hours, often have to work nights and/or weekends

Assistant Recruitment Director

We are glad to know that you see room for growth and professional development in your career as an organizer. It seems there is always more to learn.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews
</>Embed

DART Center Reviews FAQs

DART Center has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 37 reviews left anonymously by employees. 86% of employees would recommend working at DART Center to a friend and 94% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, DART Center employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at DART Center. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

86% of DART Center employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated DART Center 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at DART Center to be benefits, management, career development and the cons to be senior leadership, work life balance.

Popular Careers with DART Center Job Seekers