DRW Reviews

Updated Aug 1, 2020

4.0
DRW Founder & CEO Donald R. Wilson, Jr.
Donald R. Wilson, Jr.
Pros
Cons
  • "Very little collaboration with traders(in 10 reviews)

• "If you are very early in your career or if you want to have a very good work/life balance, this is a good company(in 7 reviews)

1. "Good company, culture, learning"

Current Employee - Quantitative Trading Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good opportunities available to learn from top traders

Cons

Potentially a pro, but work is largely self directed. You gotta figure out yourself how you can best impact the team

2. COVID-19

"Big little company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office perks such as company issued phone, laptop and desktop are really nice. In office breakfast, lunch and snacks are awesome. Employees are genuinely really smart and caring. Confidence level in the company to remain in business with little to no layoffs due to outside circumstances (ex: global pandemic) remains high.

Cons

DRW feels like a giant company of small companies. Cross-collaboration is almost zero, which creates a significant segmented company culture. Some teams are wonderful, some are not. DRW is also extremely paranoid about cyber security to almost unimaginable degrees. While a certain level of security is required for this type of business, DRW's answer is always "no" first and "yes" after a really long period of time, causing huge backups waiting for approvals to pass the security team(s).

June 29, 2020DRW moderator

Thanks for sharing your experience. COVID-19 has definitely made for an interesting few months at DRW. We’ve been impressed by the flexibility and creativity of our teams in adapting to working remotely as we tried to do our part to keep our people, their families and our communities safe. Thanks to everyone’s hard work, we’ve been able to remain an important participant in markets around the world and, as you said, feel confident in the work we’re doing. Interestingly, with everyone working remotely, we’ve also made progress in increasing cross-team collaboration where it makes sense. We know there’s more we can be doing there, and appreciate your candid feedback.

"Keep Looking"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at DRW full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a trading company so the pay is of course at the top of the market.

Cons

Management views employees as dollar signs and not as people and is hypercritical of subordinates but unable to take feedback. Work life balance is non-existent and work nights, weekends, and while on PTO is expected. There is not a lot of room for professional growth.

July 10, 2020DRW moderator

Work-life balance and professional development are typically among the things our employees routinely praise at DRW, so we’re sorry to hear that wasn’t your experience.

4. "Overall good"

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Smart employees and good culture

Cons

Eat what you kill. If your product doesn't make money then you don't get paid. Traders do not share in the diversity and advantage of the overall firm trading different products in Equities, Fixed Income, Agriculture, Currency's, etc...

March 24, 2020DRW moderator

Thank you for sharing your experience at DRW on Glassdoor. We’re excited about some of the new programs we’ve introduced to help incentivize collaboration where it makes sense for the firm and look forward to your ongoing feedback. We value the opinions of tenured employees like yourself and will share your feedback with leadership.

5. "Great benefits, lousy managers"

2.0
    Former Employee - Agent De Asigurari

I worked at DRW full-time

Pros

Free breakfast & lunch and in house masseuse

Cons

Management was not that great

February 11, 2020DRW moderator

Thank you for sharing the experience you had with your manager while at the firm. It’s important to us to create a culture where people can grow, which includes developing strong managers. We will share your feedback with the team in Montreal.

6. "good company"

Former Employee - Trader

I worked at DRW full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

High upside if very successful

Cons

Pretty segmented, not a lot of teamwork

February 3, 2020DRW moderator

It’s always good to hear from people who were with our firm for a long time. As you know, DRW’s business strategies are very diverse, and some projects benefit from more autonomous work than others. Thank you for sharing your experience on Glassdoor.

"Great office perks"

Current Employee - Trader

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Breakfast and lunch in office every day, good amount of capital to trade with

Cons

Very little collaboration with traders

May 3, 2019Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Glassdoor.

8. "Great Environment + People"

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is full of really incredible people and the environment they created is like none other. They treat employees really well, with tons of perks and opportunities to get really involved in the Montreal community. The work itself is challenging, very interesting and ever evolving. They are truly at the cutting edge of technology in the trading world, and they are afraid to invest in the continual build up of that.

Cons

Typical growing pains of a small company that is getting bigger and becoming part of a global presence. The management seems to be very engaged though and working to keep employees happy throughout this process.

9. "Great place to work"

5.0

I have been working at DRW full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really enjoy the collaborative environment here. It has an open floor plan, which makes it easy to interact with everyone around you.

Cons

Not really any cons I can think of!

"Trader"

Current Employee - Junior Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than a year

Pros

A rare combination of trading/tech skill, diversification across trading styles, risk appetite, and market leading infrastructure. The company grew fast, and still needs to be optimized internally as a result, but it has all the ingredients to become the best prop shop in the world.

Cons

Discretionary bonus structure within certain trading groups can be a bit opaque for younger traders. There is a push to unify the company but at the moment some desks are siloed and/or compete internally with other desks.

January 29, 2019Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for writing a review on Glassdoor. Continuous diversification of the firm has been a focus for us, and we are glad to see that you have enjoyed that aspect, along with others, of your experience at DRW. We will continually work to make the way our employees collaborate as efficient and helpful for personal growth as possible.

Found 106 reviews