DRW Reviews | Glassdoor

DRW Reviews

Updated November 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.4
DRW Founder & CEO Donald R. Wilson, Jr.
Donald R. Wilson, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A rare combo of smart + professional + nice"

I have been working at DRW full-time

Pros

When I went through the recruiting process, I was impressed by the level of intelligence of each person I met, and then realized I also just enjoyed talking with each of them. As someone who has worked in several different fintech and trading firms, I've come to appreciate that having colleagues you LIKE is a huge bonus. It was part of the reason I said yes to coming here, and it's proven a smart decision each day since. It's hard to find a blend of smart, driven and nice, but DRW actively recruits for exactly that combination, and whatever they are doing, it is working.

As a working mom, it's also been refreshing to experience how supportive the firm has been in enabling me to manage and accelerate my career while also having the flexibility to manage my other priorities. It appears this mentality holds true whatever those "other" priorities are -- family, a passion project, etc. The people here are celebrated not just for what they bring directly to their jobs but also for the other things that make them tick.

It's also fun to be at a place with a proven track-record and a lot of success that is still constantly innovating and seeking new opportunities. It's a dynamic place that welcomes new ideas -- from every level -- and gives bold ideas the oxygen they need to thrive where it makes sense.

And of course, as you'd expect, the technology/hardware/perks are all awesome.

Cons

Growing pains that come with our global expansion and diversification can be a bit turbulent.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the things that make DRW special, especially as we navigate the challenges and opportunities that come with the substantial growth (including acquisitions) the firm has experienced in the last couple of years.

2. "Challenging (in a good way) Environment"

I worked at DRW full-time

Pros

Dedicated, extremely intelligent people across the board. Great people in general from the top down. Solid innovative work is generally recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Expectations can be hard to meet at times and the goalposts can move. It feels less familial as the company has grown.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, casual, surrounded by smart people who care about what they do

Cons

Teams are somewhat broken up so you have to actively get to know people on other teams if you want to

4. "Trading Analyst Intern"

Pros

Very interesting, actually useful projects/work

Cons

Nothing stood out in a negative manner

"Lacking in tech innovation, can't attract top tier talent."

Former Employee - Trader
    Former Employee - Trader

I worked at DRW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice, not very high stress

Cons

Given that the current state of tech is moving into AI, DRW is definitely lagging at attracting top talent.

Places like Two Sigma, HRT, Jump, Citadel, etc. are very strongly embracing AI and have amazing presence, which makes them attract high caliber PhD students, smart undergrads, etc. who then tell their smart friends, and it becomes a virtuous cycle.

Leaving DRW doesn't really give much credential in exit options - aside from a few trading firms, nobody seems to care that you've worked at DRW. Tech doesn't care and won't put you in interesting roles such as machine learning, and other well-known firms don't really care either from interviews.

Advice to Management

Invest more in machine learning and stop looking like a frat-house, or your only options will be hiring average employees. Other places don't hire smart people (from competitions, PhDs, etc.) because the work will always involve what they did. It's because it gives great reputation for hiring smart friends as well.

Sep 4, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Attracting smart people who are good colleagues and creating a balanced workplace are high priorities at DRW. We’re glad that was your experience. We also agree AI and machine learning have a role in... More

6. "I enjoy working with some of the smartest ppl in the city."

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart ppl, caring atmosphere, interesting problems

Cons

Not really any I can think of

Sep 4, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience at DRW. We’re happy to hear you enjoy the people and the work at our organization.

7. "Employee in Chicago, IL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual environment, great people to work with, and a collaborative and fast-paced environment (no two days are the same)

Cons

None, keep up the great work!

Advice to Management

None

Aug 13, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Glassdoor. We’re happy to hear that you’re enjoying your time at DRW.

8. "Technical strength and open communication"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome pay and benefits, strong colleagues who are driven and results-oriented but in a laid-back manner(typically). Over my time I have seen some great engineers leave DRW. Though the present talent, and the draw for skilled, and pragmatic developers to join us remains exceptionally strong. I learn a ton from my colleagues. Open communication across teams and the software culture is making a comeback. I'm excited about our potential and wouldn't consider a change for the foreseeable future.

Cons

Nothing standing out. Nice to have more sponsored restaurant/bar/etc outings for internal teams.

Advice to Management

Retain the employees that helped make DRW what it is, and from my point of view - specifically senior network, security, and software engineers throughout the organization.

Jun 13, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at DRW. Open communication and a strong culture are two areas of focus for us, and we’re glad you have seen a positive result. We’ll continue to think... More

9. "Great Environment"

I have been working at DRW full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in. Everyone is very respectful of each other.

Cons

I can't think of any.

May 7, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you, we appreciate you taking time to share your experience at DRW on Glassdoor.

10. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Cash Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cash Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DRW is an amazing company to work for. It has plenty of perks (free breakfasts and lunches, wine tastings on Fridays, company provided cell phones, cool DRW logo gear, and many more!) It's a pleasure to work with super knowledgeable co-workers and managers. Everyone is down to earth and chilled. Very laid back atmosphere. Jeans every day. Very happy to be a part of this amazing culture!

Cons

None at the time of review

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 7, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience at DRW on Glassdoor. We’re pleased to know you are supported and happy in your role.