DRW Reviews | Glassdoor

DRW Reviews

Updated March 4, 2019

4.3
DRW Founder & CEO Donald R. Wilson, Jr.
Donald R. Wilson, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Friendly, casual, surrounded by smart people who care about what they do" (in 9 reviews)

• "Work life balance is also great" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Discretionary bonus structure within certain trading groups can be a bit opaque for younger traders" (in 8 reviews)

"Trader"

Current Employee - Junior Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Junior Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A rare combination of trading/tech skill, diversification across trading styles, risk appetite, and market leading infrastructure. The company grew fast, and still needs to be optimized internally as a result, but it has all the ingredients to become the best prop shop in the world.

Cons

Discretionary bonus structure within certain trading groups can be a bit opaque for younger traders. There is a push to unify the company but at the moment some desks are siloed and/or compete internally with other desks.

Jan 29, 2019 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for writing a review on Glassdoor. Continuous diversification of the firm has been a focus for us, and we are glad to see that you have enjoyed that aspect, along with others, of your... More

2. "Great office perks"

Current Employee - Trader
    Current Employee - Trader

I have been working at DRW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Breakfast and lunch in office every day, good amount of capital to trade with

Cons

Very little collaboration with traders

3. "it depends"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at DRW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the company in itself is very good; the quality of live and direction does vary a lot depending on the group. Fixed income and commodities have gone a large transformation, so the organization is messy, draconian with constant treats of getting you fired.

Cons

--No life-work balance
    --The job you do is very different from the job you were hired to do; and somehow is your fault

Jan 29, 2019 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

We understand this type of environment is not a great fit for every employee. We encourage you to talk to your manager or with a member of our recruiting team to ensure we’re meeting the expectations... More

"Researcher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Extremely smart coworkers combined with an organization that's constantly pushing for advancements in trading and research technology. Good salary, great compensation package, casual dress code and company pays for lunch.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Jan 29, 2019 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

We are happy to hear your experience at DRW has been so positive. We thank you for your dedication over the past decade, and look forward to the years to come.

5. "Challenging (in a good way) Environment"

I worked at DRW full-time

Pros

Dedicated, extremely intelligent people across the board. Great people in general from the top down. Solid innovative work is generally recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Expectations can be hard to meet at times and the goalposts can move. It feels less familial as the company has grown.

Jan 29, 2019 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience on Glassdoor. We agree with you – we have great people across the organization and they are truly our greatest asset. As our organization grows globally, and we... More

"A rare combo of smart + professional + nice"

I have been working at DRW full-time

Pros

When I went through the recruiting process, I was impressed by the level of intelligence of each person I met, and then realized I also just enjoyed talking with each of them. As someone who has worked in several different fintech and trading firms, I've come to appreciate that having colleagues you LIKE is a huge bonus. It was part of the reason I said yes to coming here, and it's proven a smart decision each day since. It's hard to find a blend of smart, driven and nice, but DRW actively recruits for exactly that combination, and whatever they are doing, it is working.

As a working mom, it's also been refreshing to experience how supportive the firm has been in enabling me to manage and accelerate my career while also having the flexibility to manage my other priorities. It appears this mentality holds true whatever those "other" priorities are -- family, a passion project, etc. The people here are celebrated not just for what they bring directly to their jobs but also for the other things that make them tick.

It's also fun to be at a place with a proven track-record and a lot of success that is still constantly innovating and seeking new opportunities. It's a dynamic place that welcomes new ideas -- from every level -- and gives bold ideas the oxygen they need to thrive where it makes sense.

And of course, as you'd expect, the technology/hardware/perks are all awesome.

Cons

Growing pains that come with our global expansion and diversification can be a bit turbulent.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the things that make DRW special, especially as we navigate the challenges and opportunities that come with the substantial growth (including acquisitions) the firm has experienced in the last couple of years.

Jan 29, 2019 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

It’s great to hear that even in your short time here you feel supported not only as an employee but also as a parent. We will continue to do this and to empower our employees to effectively innovate... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, casual, surrounded by smart people who care about what they do

Cons

Teams are somewhat broken up so you have to actively get to know people on other teams if you want to

Jan 29, 2019 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for writing a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience at DRW.

8. "Trading Analyst Intern"

Pros

Very interesting, actually useful projects/work

Cons

Nothing stood out in a negative manner

Jan 29, 2019 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your work. Thank you for writing a review on Glassdoor.

"Lacking in tech innovation, can't attract top tier talent."

Former Employee - Trader
    Former Employee - Trader

I worked at DRW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice, not very high stress

Cons

Given that the current state of tech is moving into AI, DRW is definitely lagging at attracting top talent.

Places like Two Sigma, HRT, Jump, Citadel, etc. are very strongly embracing AI and have amazing presence, which makes them attract high caliber PhD students, smart undergrads, etc. who then tell their smart friends, and it becomes a virtuous cycle.

Leaving DRW doesn't really give much credential in exit options - aside from a few trading firms, nobody seems to care that you've worked at DRW. Tech doesn't care and won't put you in interesting roles such as machine learning, and other well-known firms don't really care either from interviews.

Advice to Management

Invest more in machine learning and stop looking like a frat-house, or your only options will be hiring average employees. Other places don't hire smart people (from competitions, PhDs, etc.) because the work will always involve what they did. It's because it gives great reputation for hiring smart friends as well.

Sep 4, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Attracting smart people who are good colleagues and creating a balanced workplace are high priorities at DRW. We’re glad that was your experience. We also agree AI and machine learning have a role in... More

10. "I enjoy working with some of the smartest ppl in the city."

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart ppl, caring atmosphere, interesting problems

Cons

Not really any I can think of

Sep 4, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience at DRW. We’re happy to hear you enjoy the people and the work at our organization.