DRW Reviews | Glassdoor

DRW Reviews

Found 74 reviews

4.4
DRW CEO Donald R. Wilson, Jr.
Donald R. Wilson, Jr.
Pros
Cons
  • "Discretionary bonus structure within certain trading groups can be a bit opaque for younger traders(in 8 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

1. Trader

Current Employee - Junior Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

A rare combination of trading/tech skill, diversification across trading styles, risk appetite, and market leading infrastructure. The company grew fast, and still needs to be optimized internally as a result, but it has all the ingredients to become the best prop shop in the world.

Cons

Discretionary bonus structure within certain trading groups can be a bit opaque for younger traders. There is a push to unify the company but at the moment some desks are siloed and/or compete internally with other desks.

2. it depends

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

the company in itself is very good; the quality of live and direction does vary a lot depending on the group. Fixed income and commodities have gone a large transformation, so the organization is messy, draconian with constant treats of getting you fired.

Cons

--No life-work balance --The job you do is very different from the job you were hired to do; and somehow is your fault

Researcher

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Extremely smart coworkers combined with an organization that's constantly pushing for advancements in trading and research technology. Good salary, great compensation package, casual dress code and company pays for lunch.

Cons

None that I can think of.

4. Challenging (in a good way) Environment

I worked at DRW full-time

Pros

Dedicated, extremely intelligent people across the board. Great people in general from the top down. Solid innovative work is generally recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Expectations can be hard to meet at times and the goalposts can move. It feels less familial as the company has grown.

A rare combo of smart + professional + nice

• Overall

I have been working at DRW full-time

Pros

When I went through the recruiting process, I was impressed by the level of intelligence of each person I met, and then realized I also just enjoyed talking with each of them. As someone who has worked in several different fintech and trading firms, I've come to appreciate that having colleagues you LIKE is a huge bonus. It was part of the reason I said yes to coming here, and it's proven a smart decision each day since....

Cons

Growing pains that come with our global expansion and diversification can be a bit turbulent.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the things that make DRW special, especially as we navigate the challenges and opportunities that come with the substantial growth (including acquisitions) the firm has experienced in the last couple of years.

Great place to work

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, casual, surrounded by smart people who care about what they do

Cons

Teams are somewhat broken up so you have to actively get to know people on other teams if you want to

7. Trading Analyst Intern

I worked at DRW

Pros

Very interesting, actually useful projects/work

Cons

Nothing stood out in a negative manner

Lacking in tech innovation, can't attract top tier talent.

Former Employee - Trader

I worked at DRW full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

People are nice, not very high stress

Cons

Given that the current state of tech is moving into AI, DRW is definitely lagging at attracting top talent. Places like Two Sigma, HRT, Jump, Citadel, etc. are very strongly embracing AI and have amazing presence, which makes them attract high caliber PhD students, smart undergrads, etc. who then tell their smart friends, and it becomes a virtuous cycle. Leaving DRW doesn't really give much credential in exit options...

Advice to Management

Invest more in machine learning and stop looking like a frat-house, or your only options will be hiring average employees. Other places don't hire smart people (from competitions, PhDs, etc.) because the work will always involve what they did. It's because it gives great reputation for hiring smart friends as well.

September 4, 2018Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Attracting smart people who are good colleagues and creating a balanced workplace are high priorities at DRW. We’re glad that was your experience. We also agree AI and machine learning have a role in our business, and we are currently investing in and using both. As is true at all ...

9. I enjoy working with some of the smartest ppl in the city.

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Smart ppl, caring atmosphere, interesting problems

Cons

Not really any I can think of

September 4, 2018Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience at DRW. We’re happy to hear you enjoy the people and the work at our organization.

10. Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual environment, great people to work with, and a collaborative and fast-paced environment (no two days are the same)

Cons

None, keep up the great work!

Advice to Management

None

August 13, 2018Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Glassdoor. We’re happy to hear that you’re enjoying your time at DRW.

Found 74 reviews