DRW Reviews | Glassdoor

DRW Reviews

Updated July 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.3
DRW Founder & CEO Donald R. Wilson, Jr.
Donald R. Wilson, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is also great" (in 5 reviews)

• "There are a ton of super smart people here that make it a great place to grow and start your career" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Expenses can run pretty high for the traders" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Employee in Chicago, IL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual environment, great people to work with, and a collaborative and fast-paced environment (no two days are the same)

Cons

None, keep up the great work!

Advice to Management

None

2. "Technical strength and open communication"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome pay and benefits, strong colleagues who are driven and results-oriented but in a laid-back manner(typically). Over my time I have seen some great engineers leave DRW. Though the present talent, and the draw for skilled, and pragmatic developers to join us remains exceptionally strong. I learn a ton from my colleagues. Open communication across teams and the software culture is making a comeback. I'm excited about our potential and wouldn't consider a change for the foreseeable future.

Cons

Nothing standing out. Nice to have more sponsored restaurant/bar/etc outings for internal teams.

Advice to Management

Retain the employees that helped make DRW what it is, and from my point of view - specifically senior network, security, and software engineers throughout the organization.

Jun 13, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at DRW. Open communication and a strong culture are two areas of focus for us, and we’re glad you have seen a positive result. We’ll continue to think... More

3. "Great Environment"

I have been working at DRW full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in. Everyone is very respectful of each other.

Cons

I can't think of any.

May 7, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you, we appreciate you taking time to share your experience at DRW on Glassdoor.

4. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Cash Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cash Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DRW is an amazing company to work for. It has plenty of perks (free breakfasts and lunches, wine tastings on Fridays, company provided cell phones, cool DRW logo gear, and many more!) It's a pleasure to work with super knowledgeable co-workers and managers. Everyone is down to earth and chilled. Very laid back atmosphere. Jeans every day. Very happy to be a part of this amazing culture!

Cons

None at the time of review

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 7, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience at DRW on Glassdoor. We’re pleased to know you are supported and happy in your role.

"Used to be great, now it's so-so"

I worked at DRW full-time

Pros

Pay is competitive but becoming less so. Good benefits (insurance and dental are good. free lunch. 50% 401k match. game room)

Cons

management has lost its way. firing of homegrown talent to bring in new people who don't fit the culture. management of developers is not good. company is more silo'd and each team more secretive than ever. they have people with no development knowledge managing developers and giving them unrealistic tasks for their timelines.

Advice to Management

return to your old ways

May 7, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your honest feedback.

Our firm’s significant growth over the past few years has meant bringing in many new people, and we have found immense value in the new perspectives coming... More

6. "ok"

Pros

It is just ok company to work

Cons

none at the time. I think it is normal

Feb 13, 2018 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience on Glassdoor.

7. "Great Company!"

I worked at DRW full-time

Pros

Great culture where there is openness about new ideas. Work life balance is also great.

Cons

As a result of the expansion over the past few years, the partners are less involved in the day to day management of groups. But this is the case for most large organizations. At least they are involved enough to provide support to groups to ensure their success.

Oct 27, 2017 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. Being open to new ideas has always been part of the way we work, and we’re glad you experienced this during your time at DRW. As you mentioned, leaders often focus more... More

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at DRW full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment, smart people

Cons

Not enough turnover to get rid of people who don't perform

9. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've experienced a really open and collaborative culture at DRW. People are kind, intelligent, receptive to feedback and open to new ideas. The work is challenging but interesting and rewarding. You're constantly given new opportunities to hone your craft - ie. internal mobility, new research projects. Also, the amazing perks and benefits don't hurt.

Cons

I would like more formalized education across the firm. The new hires and interns get a great education program - why not have similar programs throughout the year for back and front office roles?

Advice to Management

Keep opening up new opportunities for employees internally. Share a clear direction and set of goals for the firm.

Sep 1, 2017 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at DRW. That’s great feedback. We agree with you and have already taken steps to extend our University Education program to everyone at DRW that would... More

"Pull the curtain back"

I have been working at DRW full-time

Pros

It's a good firm with lots of talented people who work very hard from top to bottom. Salary and benefits are good and the offices are nice.

Cons

I will name a few issues, but really they are the symptom of a larger problem. They advertise great technology and charge you for it, but there is no significant technology that they can offer a trading group. Anything proprietary is generally owned by a different division and you will likely not have access to it. All the groups are separate. There is no collaboration, and that is somewhat by design. It's a collection of business with shared resource, so understand you will not get help with much unless it's pedigree items like hardware purchase or technical support. If you are a trader or have a trading business you are siloed off. Really they have mostly become a glorified backer of trading strategies, or if that was always their model it's not always advertised that way. There is definitely a shakeup in management. Lot's of recent defections, retirements, shifting of duties. That could end up being a good thing, but transition is hard. If they can find a way to set the tone for a little more collaboration DRW would be really great. Lot's of resources allocated to anything bitcoin or real estate, but they have such a good shell of a trading company that is ready to be rebuilt. Some divisions do great, but given the resources some cooperation at management and a more focused path would allow them to really move back to the top of the trading space where they really do belong.

Advice to Management

Try to get more organized. Each partner seems to be in charge of his or her fiefdom and nothing is shared across them. If you combine resources you can bring cost down and create an environment that fosters collaboration between it's trading groups DRW can be the top of the food chain again. Otherwise the trading businesses may continue to suffer a slow demise.

Aug 17, 2017 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

We only get better when we acknowledge and act upon the things we need to improve, so we appreciate your honest feedback. Collaboration is critical and an area of focus for the firm – but as any... More