DRW Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at DRW

3.3

Sort:

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DRW in September 2017.

Interview

First received a coding test via Codility; very easy, just used to test your basic coding skills. Then, received a phone screening which I did not advance beyond. The questions were pulled from their database of questions they generally ask candidates, so they are fairly standard: data structures, classes in C++, interfaces, etc. I would encourage only mentioning concepts in your answers you can expound upon further. The questions were also not worded the best, so I would not panic if they sound off.

Junior Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DRW.

Interview

Scheduled an on-campus interview. There were two traders and one partner. No HR. People were very nice and sociable. They provided a lot of insight into the industry.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DRW in March 2018.

Interview

difficult take home assignment followed by a techical phone screen.

i was told they have several openings from the application team to the infrastructure team and if a team feel i was a fit the team will give me a phone screen. the infrastructure team finally do the phone screen with me, which is weird since i don’t have too much experience on that area.

the phone screen includes tons of very low level jvm questions like how does jvm store the objects in memory, how is tree map implemented and how does two threads exchange data.

i learned those concept from school, but my daily work is building web platform which never involved such low level knowledges so i never thought they’re going to asking that kind of questions.

baiscally i interviewed a position which doesn’t match my background. not sure why that team decide to call me since they should know my background from my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DRW (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

First, there was a phone screen where I was asked questions about CS fundamentals (data structures, mostly). Then I was asked to walk through a solution to an algorithm question over the phone.

Next, I had a take home test which took me approximately 10 hours to complete.

Finally, I had an onsite visit which was approximately 7 hours in total. I began following a coding prompt that took a little over an hour to complete. I was then interviewed by different parts of the company in 1 hour segments mostly about data structures and CS fundamentals. The interviewers had a pretty even balance of nice and aggressive personalities.

Interview Questions

• CS fundamentals and algorithm questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at DRW (Madison, WI) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through the university job postings and was contacted to do a coding test through Codility. They contacted me on a Tuesday and I had until the the EOD Saturday to complete the 2hr test. They got back to me the next Monday to say they were moving on to other candidates. Codility test are very math focused and many complain it doesn't accurately test your coding abilities.

Interview Questions

• Given an integer if that int was represented in binary how many bits would be set to '1'? (no time or space complexity requirements only accuracy)   1 Answer
    • Give an integer N find how many digits of 11^N are '1' (O(n) space and time required)   1 Answer
    • Given a Tree with each node holding an integer find the most unique numbers of any path on the tree. (Think it was O(n) space and time requirement)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Online coding interview using codility. It was my first coding interview and I thought it was very fair. They asked three questions and I had two hours to do them. When done right, they shouldn't have been that many lines of code. It was mainly knowing the right algorithms

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at DRW (Chicago, IL) in December 2015.

Interview

Standard HR screen where they ask you typical "Why do you want to work here?" questions followed by a technical interview with Codility. Pretty simple questions and they give you two hours to answer 3 questions. After a week or so they respond whether they want to move forward to a personal interview.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that gets the number of squares between two numbers   4 Answers

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at DRW (North Chicago, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

First, you have an on campus interview or phone interview to get into their superday in Chicago.
    Then, you go to Chicago for presentations at their building, then dinner, and then rollerball. Rollerball is fun and they take you to a very nice restauant (with super small portions for a steakhouse?) and put you up in a swanky hotel , but most of the interview candidates are for trading and are future mba types so you don't get a software culture vibe.
    The second day in Chicago starts in the morning and involves three interviews. The interviews I got were the same ones that they apparently give every year. I wouldn't have disclosed these questions, but I was super disappointed when I looked online after my interview and found that people had gotten these same questions for the previous super days.
    Overall they are nice, but sometimes you get a nasty vibe from younger guys. I guess it just comes with the territory in trading firms, even with software.

Interview Questions

• testing(junit) and then redesigning some java math function library to use interfaces,   1 Answer
    • how many ways to permute coins, and then what if you can rotate the positions of the coins,   1 Answer
    • group interview about how to implement some network strategy.   1 Answer

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at DRW (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview initially where their in house recruiter or HR rep asked me about my experience and went over my resume. I was brought in for an in person interview where I met with the CFO followed by the accounting manager. The CFO asked a few questions about my past experience as well as tried to get to know who I am as well. It seemed like he was trying to see if I would be an overall good fit personality wise. The accounting manager went over more of the duties and went in dept about my past experience and the job in question.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you over anyone else?   1 Answer

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DRW (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview

Interview Questions

• Just walked through resume and ask about relevant internship experience. One behavior question: what do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Ask about Excel skills and Quickbooks experience.   Answer Question
    • Relevant general ledger, journal entry, book keeping experience   Answer Question